Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4961 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 121 of 415
12 February 2014 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
Thank you guys! prz_ , I sent you a pm with the link.

============================================================ ==
I couldn't finish Memrise in the morning. Maybe I can finish it in the evening, if I'm
not that tired. Today is the day in the week I get home the latest.

The new Chinesepod lesson is very interesting (Elementary level, which in the case of
Chinese and thanks to Chinesepod's extensiveness means there was a lot going on
before). This Elementary lesson is not as challenge as I thought, though, which isn't
bad. Even the length of the text is similar to past level.

I got an email early in the morning about a ebook from José Saramago published in
Georgian. It's probably 'As intermitências da morte'. I recharged my lit.ge account and
bought it. It is nice to have real literature as an option for my Georgian studies,
even though I am likely to start with Paulo Coelho, which is easier. Funny how I will
be reading directly Georgian-Portuguese, that is, Georgian/Native language, and not
Georgian/2nd language. This is something I couldn't do for Norwegian, for instance (and
now I don't need it anymore as I'm reading Norwegian without a full translation).

I resisted as much as I could, but renaissancemedi drove me with her log into watching
Russian films with subtitles at YT. I'm watching them with English subtitles. I have so
much to learn. At least when I start reading or watching with Russian subtitles I'll be
already familiarized with the sounds of the language. I know there is a lot of work
before that, though.

All the rest is ok (Duolingo is still missing as of now but I think I can do it). I'm
deciding upon my goals for Super Challenge. I want to have at least 1 normal challenge
(whatever is decided upon 'normal'), and if I can accomplish other video-only or
reading-only challenges I will still be happy with myself.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4961 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 122 of 415
13 February 2014 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
Time for a shorter update, as not much happened.

Finished Memrise already in the morning, even if it meant arriving a few minutes later
than planned. Something weird happened: I assumed since it is an online app everytime
I'd log it be synced, but today I used first the old tablet for watering and it hadn't
synced the watering and new chapter I had studied yesterday, so I did a lot of watering
in vain.

'Basic Georgian' is over, on time, as planned. I wrote about it at 4 places already, so
i'd like to say briefly that it is very well-organized, even though it is not suitable
for entire beginners (who had better try Beginner's Georgian first). The vocabulary and
idiom choice is wise. The author found a compromise between presenting grammar in a
logical way, from simple to complex, and coming up with the most important structures
as early as actually necessary. So, while at Aronson's book you get to learn about the
passive verbs at an early lesson because they are 2nd conjugation, at Makharoblidze's
Basic Georgian you get at least an idea of how to use important indirect verbs such as
'to like' and 'to have' already at the earlier lessons. The explanations are not that
straightfoward and totally clear, though. I benefitted from my previous knowledge, so I
can say the book came up exactly when I needed it. Just like I could only handle the
huge amount of vocabulary per lesson thanks to my previous studies. The book has some
typos which I hope get corrected in newer editions. Yet I believe it is the most
consistent book both for self-teaching and as a grammar reference. You can easily get
access to the main topics as you flip through the book and you don't have to get lost
in details about every single grammar topic like in Aronson's or Hewitt's
grammar+textbook works. The book misses audio and an answer key, and I hope this also
get remedied at further editions.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4961 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 123 of 415
14 February 2014 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
Today I had my first conversation in German at Skype! I had to wake up before 6am. The italk student wanted to have Portuguese classes, but I don't have much time
since I started working full-time. Besides, she is still a beginner in Portuguese, and I thought one hour of beginner's classes wouldn't be so productive. I said we
could just exchange German for Portuguese, and so we did.

It went all very smoothly! I was impressed at how I could handle German sentences at German syntax quite fast. We talked about half an hour but I also gave some
explanations on Portuguese in German. She complimented me for my pronunciation. I was slow, and I would shamelessly say a missing word in English. Sometimes I would
forget well-known words from the tip of the tongue. Yet I was very happy to realize I could indeed speak some German, maybe enough to get by. Not only that: I could
also understand her almost always, as we were dealing on familiar topics. Now I'm much more confident about accomplishing my goal of basic fluency for this year. I
may even shorten my textbook period: I'm considering doing just the other two intermediate Assimils after this one, then i'd delve into native materials and leave
room for Spanish. After all, I'm having a good input on grammar from the Assimils and from Duolingo, just as I've already done prior reading from the books on
Georgian.

German was a language I always did a lot of listening for, even before I knew listening was so important. This was due to my using Deutsche Welle courses (oh no,
now I remembered another set of resources I'd like to use). So, now that I improved my vocabulary somewhow I am having less problem than usual at understanding what
I already know.

Chinese reading practice - This site I mentioned earlier is not officialy at my routine, but I just can't help it. Mouse-over translations rock!

I'd like to know comments on the site http://www.fluentu.com/ . It seems to be a sort of Subs2SRS site, but I didn't get down to signing up.

I started reading Georgian A Structural Grammar by George Hewitt. It has over 600 pages. I had set an ambitious goal of 20 pages a day because I don't want to spend
half a year on it. Today I read up to page 40, but I benefited from an early start last month and from a couple of pages yesterday. I'll have to skim some familiar
topics in the hope I can finish it by the end of March.

At today's Assimil - was a bit surprised that Germany is a car-country. I mean, they see a car as a symbol of status as the US or Brazil, but fortunately for them
they do have a good public transportation system and people don't have to rely on their cars for commuting.

I decided to check the site http://learnrussian.rt.com after so much recommendation. I'd like to use it, reminds me of serbianschool. Unfortunately, can't use it
here (blocked audio), which would make it impracticable.

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4510 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 124 of 415
14 February 2014 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
Sounds amazing, man! Congratulations! I really wanted to make some time to study German this year, but work + life + wife + Japanese + the other languages are taking all of my time....hahhaa

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4427 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 125 of 415
15 February 2014 at 2:29pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
I'd like to know comments on the site http://www.fluentu.com/ . It
seems to be a sort of Subs2SRS site, but I didn't get down to signing up.

Well I've never gotten down to actually paying for it but before, most of the site was
free. It's not now unfortunately, but it's also gotten a lot better. I've been
considering getting a month or so for a while and refraining that urge has just been
getting harder and harder.

The website is well organized and for all levels. When you watch a video, the subs
appears under the video (not inside) and if you put the mouse on top of one, the video
stop and you have a pop up dictionary as well. You can even look up example from that
pop up if you click on the word.
You can also download a pdf of the script, the audio only, and if I remember well, a
pdf with pinyin and/or translation.
Their videos are really good, ranging from everyday topics to business, and going
through particular vocab families as well.

As I'm going to Shanghai soon, I'm trying to not subscribe to it, but if you want
something awesome for your listening skills, I'd say go for it. I believe they even
have a "one-month free" trial kind of thing (they used to at least), so you could try
it out first before making any harsh choice.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4961 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 126 of 415
15 February 2014 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
Thank you yuhakko! Once again, wise advice. We're coming from similar backgrounds, and
that helps (even though in a few months you'll be near basic fluency!).

proudft
United States
Joined 4948 days ago

124 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 127 of 415
17 February 2014 at 1:48am | IP Logged 
I was also on fluentu when it was free. It seemed like it would have been useful if I didn't already have so much invested in my 3-year old Chinesepod Anki decks. They had a bunch of tools for making your own word lists from the videos and stuff, it was pretty neat.

Edited by proudft on 17 February 2014 at 1:49am

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4961 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 128 of 415
17 February 2014 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
First, some news about the weekend. Not much language reading, but a lot of non-language reading, and I'm glad
I could resume that. I managed to keep up with the SRS (Anki, flashcards, Memrise) and Duolingo, and I read
just enough to finish the 2nd tome of the medieval novel in French. I'm glad its coming to an end, even though
the final tome is longer, 530 pages.

I also read a couple of pages from Georgian: a structural grammar, and given the slowness of such readings it
was quite important to do so. Then I started reading my first page with the Chinese built-in dictionary for
ibooks. It was the article about Ant Tribes suggested at
Ninibo's log .The
first pages were disclaimers and titles, and I haven't got down to actual text yet, therefore it was slower. I
do believe it will start working out, though. Sometimes the syntax is unclear, especially when you have to
look up all the words and only then try to figure out the meaning of the sentence, but I'm glad with the tool
itself and I have reasons to believe that it will start working out.

Today I woke up early once again - at 5h40 - for an hour of German conversation before going to the gym. This
time I sat at the computer and tried to translate words, but I still think I was slower and missed more words
than the first day. Maybe it's natural since I'm abandoning the most common subjects and therefore I'm in need
of more specific vocabulary.

Just had to share this dialogue from Chinesepod - I think they are learning from Assimil how to make some
humor.

Aria 很高兴认识你。
田森 我也是!可以给你打电话吗?
Aria 可以。我的电话号码是911。
田森 天哪,真的吗?
Aria 对,我是警察。

TeleCuraçao video resumed playing here. That's good news. The pages I read today at the Papiamentu novel
had several words I'd seen before but still haven't retained, so I had to spend a longer time looking them
up. That pays off, because they are important words.

Two days to finish the nice bilingual EN-KA novel 'Paloma', by Thea Lomadze. The author published a couple
more novels, but I don't have access to them.

I've started watching 'Les 11 Commandements'. No subtitles this time. I'm following most of the jokes.

I'm leaving the Georgian series for the last, taking into account the days are calmer and I don't need much to
listen on the background. Yet I'm still listening to it on the background. I start to extract sentences more
often, but this is mostly due to studies elsewhere. It's still tiresome to keep focus at something you don't
understand for 30 minutes. I'm not an advocate at immersion as a panacea.

This discussion contains 415 messages over 52 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version