415 messages over 52 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 ... 51 52 Next >>
prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4655 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 97 of 415
04 February 2014 at 10:04am | IP Logged 
with a focus on "clear mind"
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4962 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 98 of 415
04 February 2014 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
Thank you guys! What kind and encouraging words. My routine doesn't mean much, since I
study in a rather loose way. Therefore I need several hours to reach the same levels
other people usually reach much faster. I haven't reached B1 for any of my languages
after years, maybe only for Norwegian. I hope to at least inspire some more skillful
people with my discipline so they can achieve better results =D

On a side note to Cristina, Georgia is a fascinating country, too. Maybe a New Year's
plan of learning the basics and going there to practice wouldn't hurt. You just
wouldn't be as much welcome when trying Russian as it would be the case in Uzbek, but
still, you could try it on after becoming friends with people there :D

Today I finished my activities rather early, two hours before 下班. I could do half a
Memrise chapter in the morning, will have to finish later. Today I resume an off-work,
off-languages course I started attending last year, so I'll get home later. Yet I think
it will be enough to just lay down and work on those small activities.

I'm glad I finished the Norwegian audio sentences deck, that is, all cards got mature.
More time for Memrise in the morning! Now I've set my old Georgian deck, with words
from Einführung in die Georgische Sprachen (just found it that way) to 80 reviews, so
that I can finish it soon, too. It's at 83% mature. Less Anki means more time for
Memrise for when I start other languages.

Duolingo still has over a month to go, but I want to keep one chapter each day, even if
they aren't even. Yday I could finish one with 9 parts, today's one had just 5. It
worked here. I just didn't dare using the microphone so I skipped those pages.

I've sped up considerably with reading the exercise sentences at TY Russian! I'm really
happy about that. It has to do with the sentences making more sense, but still it's
some progress. That might mean there is a lot of dormant vocabulary from my previous
studies (3 Assimils, Nina Potapova's, Living Language, one podcast) waiting to be
activated. Take off, Russian!

Someone at a community elsewhere posted a link to a couple of video lessons on Yoruba
at YT. That almost gave me Wanderlust - I will come to Yoruba only after Estonian
Italian, Indonesian, Turkish, Arabic, Swahili, Esperanto, Hindi and Yoruba, so 2020 is
a rough estimate for starting Yoruba. Yet it is nice to know there are such resources.
That guy seems to be keen on explaining stuff and I hope he makes more lessons.
Cunrrently there are over 20 lessons, some 5 minutes long, others above 10. That could
already do the job of a similar podcast for when I take Yoruba.

I've found out 'Mon meilleur ami' had subtitles in Norwegian! So I started using them.
They're helpful as a crutch, since the native volume to the film is so low that even at
maximum volume and with earphones I can't hear fully if there is noisy talk going on
here - which is almost the rule at the time I do this final activity.

After checking lorinth's log, I thought about making use of my new device for reading
Chinese epubs. I'm seeking for advice from team mates and other Chinese learners: which
books would be better to work on, how does it actually work. Also, maybe there's a
Firefox or Chrome extension that does the same job as the integrated dictionary.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4962 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 99 of 415
04 February 2014 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
I forgot to mention I chatted in Norwegian last Sunday. I usually chat with two German
guys who can speak Norwegian fluently. One of them actually only writes nynorsk. So, he
was writing nynorsk and I was replying in bokmål. I noticed a considerable improvement
from last time, which was over 3 months ago, I believe. I'd look up words I was unsure
about just to realize I was right at my assumptions. It also took much less time to read
and reply as I didn't have much to translate from what they said. Well, the series seems
to be working.

Ninibo
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 3812 days ago

88 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 100 of 415
04 February 2014 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:

After checking lorinth's log, I thought about making use of my new device for reading
Chinese epubs. I'm seeking for advice from team mates and other Chinese learners: which
books would be better to work on, how does it actually work. Also, maybe there's a
Firefox or Chrome extension that does the same job as the integrated dictionary.

Do you mean which books are easy, or how to make epubs? I'm sorry, i don't know which one you mean. ^^#
As for the dictionary: have you used Pera Pera? It's a plugin for Firefox (I think there's an early version for Chrome) and it's awesome! It's a pop-up dictionary and you can even save words to a list and export them, if you are using an SRS. Unless you mean a dictionary for kindle, then i don't know, i'm still looking for a usable Chinese kindle dictionary myself, those i found re mostly useless.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4962 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 101 of 415
04 February 2014 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
I really meant to ask which books are easy and contemporary.
I'll try Pera Pera, thx.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4962 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 102 of 415
04 February 2014 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
Ok, Pera Pera works fine at both Chrome and FF. It took me a while to realize it was
conflicting with Bliu Bliu's dictionary. I don't think Bliu Bliu will suit me for Chinese
though, it's a bit confusing. I can stick with reading just small paragraphs in Chinese
from whatever source. Maybe news, but I do prefer short stories. I may take this as an
extra activity for when I really have loads of time.

lorinth
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4070 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Latin
Studies: Mandarin, Finnish

Message 103 of 415
04 February 2014 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
Hi again Expugnator, for easy books, I can only recommend the Chinese Breeze series (on
paper) or the Mandarin Companion series (e-books, including iBooks). They may be a bit
too easy for your B1 level, though (?).

See also my post about which Chinese readers I have found interesting and helpful:

Link
2 persons have voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4655 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 104 of 415
05 February 2014 at 1:39am | IP Logged 
True, Perapera is quite nice.

This discussion contains 415 messages over 52 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version