Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Radioclare’s TAC log 2014 (*jäŋe/*ledús)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
522 messages over 66 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 1 ... 65 66 Next >>
Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4377 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 1 of 522
02 January 2014 at 10:13pm | IP Logged 
This is the first time I've taken part in the TAC and I'm going to be focussing
exclusively on learning Croatian. I would love to tackle more languages but I know that
- being realistic - I'm not going to have enough time to master more than one language
this year. Croatian is my passion right now :)

I started learning casually in 2012, ahead of my first visit to Croatia. I tend to take
at least one holiday in central/eastern Europe each year, so my Januarys typically
start with me purchasing 'Teach Yourself [insert Slavic language]' and working through
the first six or so chapters, before real life gets in the way and/or I decide I'm
never going to master the spelling/pronunciation/stress of this one and essentially
give up. There is a bookshelf in my study which looks suspiciously like a shrine to
Slavic languages I have failed to learn.

There was no reason to assume that it would be any different when I started learning
Croatian in January 2012 but, somehow, I completely fell in love with the language and
found it the simplest Slavic language I had ever tried to learn. I made good progress
with the TY book (by my standards!) and when I travelled to Croatia that summer, I was
able to have some basic conversations. I absolutely loved Croatia and came back home
inspired to keep on learning.

Armed with new textbooks and dictionaries, I made pretty steady progress up to summer
2013, when I visited Croatia again and also went to Montenegro for the first time.
Montenegro was a real highlight for me; I was staying in a small apartment with a crazy
landlady who thought it was hilarious that I was learning the language. She took my
admission that I could understand a bit as a licence to fire rapid bursts of
Montenegrin at all hours of the day and night. It was a little scary - and I didn't do
too well at responding to her in coherent, grammatical sentences - but it was a great
feeling to understand the gist of what she was saying and to feel like we were
communicating. She didn't speak any English, so there was no cheating.

That should have inspired me to keep studying more than ever, but unfortunately work
got in the way again and during the autumn I feel like I regressed rather than made any
solid progress. So, my aim for this year is to make continuous progress in a forward
direction and be able to have more fluent conversations when I hopefully visit the
region again this summer.

I also have a pile of Croatian-language novels which I bought in Dubrovnik and a big
goal for this year is to be able to read them in a meaningful way. I'm at the stage at
the moment where I can understand enough on each page to follow the basic line of the
plot, but there are often whole sentences which I can't get the sense of and it
requires such concentration that I can't face more than one chapter at a time. I'd like
to be at the stage where the reading experience is less of a chore.

Wish me luck!

2 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4377 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 2 of 522
02 January 2014 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
My main aim for the first week of 2014 is revision.

Today I took the plunge and logged into my much-neglected Memrise account. It was
slightly worse than I expected; 887 Croatian plants requiring watering. Oops! I find it a
lot easier to concentrate on Memrise using the app on my phone rather than on the
computer, so I spent my commuting time today trying to clear the backlog. As of this
evening, I've managed to get it down to 242 ready for watering, so progress has been made
but there is still a way to go...!
1 person has voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4377 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 3 of 522
03 January 2014 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
I hit Memrise zero today, which was a relief! I may have become a bit over-excited and
started a couple of new courses on there, though. One called "20 fruits", which is by
definition quite short but which I thought would be useful because my knowledge of
Croatian fruit was previously limited to 'jabuka' (apple). When I was in Zagreb before
Christmas, it would have been nice to extend the range of fruit juice I was able to
order ;) The second one I've started is called 'Croaticum A1+' and although I'm only
partway through it, it seems like one of the better Croatian courses I've tried on
Memrise. There's a really fun level on animals, with phrases like 'spor kao puž' (slow
as a snail) and 'hrabar kao lav' (courageous as a lion), which I enjoyed. Not sure I
understood 'mokar kao miš' (wet like a mouse), though. Are Croatian mice renowned for
being wet? Or is this some general property of mice which has passed me by?

There's only so much Memrise a person can take, so during my morning commute I began
rereading 'Teach Yourself Croatian'. I got as far as chapter seven before I got to
work. Going for a walk at lunchtime, I intended to listen to some of the accompanying
audio but my iPod has inexplicably deleted both this and my Pimsleur audio... I guess
that shows how long since it is since I've last listened to them. I had to listen the
audio from the Hippocrene 'Beginners Croatian' instead. I normally prefer not to do
that in public because I like to repeat the dialogue aloud. I can normally get away
with that if I go for a walk around my (reasonably quiet) home town, but in a busy city
centre I was in danger of being thought mad.

Hoping to make lots more progress tomorrow now it's the weekend.

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4377 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 4 of 522
04 January 2014 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
Didn't get quite as much done today as I had hoped - eek! I had to spend most of the morning cleaning the house and taking down the Christmas decorations, so I
took the opportunity to listen to some Hladno Pivo, who are fast becoming one of my favourite bands of all time. I'm not sure listening to Croatian music really
helps me learn anything, but I enjoy picking out the phrases I can understand and looking up the lyrics later online. Tekstovi.net seems to be a good website
for finding BCMS song lyrics, and sometimes if I'm too lazy to try translating them myself, there are English translations (of sorts!) at lyricstranslate.com.

If anyone has any recommendations of good BCMS music to listen too, they would be appreciated :) The only other music I've tried listening to so far is
Severina, but I'm really not a fan.

Cleaning done, I had to walk into town for something, so listened to the dialogues from the first four lessons of the Hippocrene book. The roads around my
hometown are fairly quiet, so I didn't get too many funny looks when I was repeating the dialogue under my breath.

When I got home I had time to do some proper studying, so started working through the exercises from chapter 9 of 'Bosnian, Croatian, Serbian - A Textbook'. I
had this for my birthday in November and am really enjoying it so far. I really like the fact that the answers to the exercises are online, so I can work
through them with pen and paper and check them next time I come online, removing any temptation to look at them as I go along. It's also fascinating to see the
differences/similarities between Bosnian, Serbian and Croatian. Today I learned that in Croatian, the word 'Slavic' is translated as 'slavenski', while in
Serbian it is 'slovenski', but in Croatian 'slovenski' means 'Slovenian'; in Serbian, 'Slovenian' is 'slovenački'. Confusing or what?!

I've rounded off the day with a bit more Memrise; 142 plants needing watering today and have done some new planting on the Croaticum course.

Edited by Radioclare on 04 January 2014 at 11:08pm

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6950 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 5 of 522
05 January 2014 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
It's good to see that you're getting into the thick of things with BCMS/SC.

Unfortunately I have nothing to offer musically in BCMS/SC apart from Goran Bregović. I went to one of his concerts; it was quite amusing since I had never before been in a sea of ex-Yugos.

As for comparisons, I find them most interesting. While I was brushing up on my BCMS/SC last year for a trip to Serbia, I did some comparative analysis with the dialogues in Hippocrene's "Beginner's Croatian" and "Beginner's Serbian", and also analyzed a monograph describing the differences within BCMS/SC as a precursor to designing neurolinguistic tools and machine translation software for these "languages".

If you're interested, I noted all of my observations and findings in my log, and broke them down by chapter in Hippocrene's textbooks, and/or sections of that monograph. In the BCMS/SC profile on this site, there are links to every post with this analysis (scroll down to "Links and Sources" in the profile, and look under the headings "Juxtaposed analysis of divergent words and phrases in dialogues and narratives from “Beginner’s Croatian” and “Beginner’s Serbian” arranged sequentially by chapter" and "Analysis and critique of differences presented in the monograph".

Sretno!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4377 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 6 of 522
05 January 2014 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
Hvala lijepa, Chung!

Your comparisons between 'Beginner's Croatian' and 'Beginner's Serbian' look fascinating. At one point I had been contemplating buying 'Beginner's Serbian'
to get a better understanding of the differences, but it looks like I could go through my copy of 'Beginner's Croatian' and study your notes instead. The
analysis of the monograph also looks very interesting. I have bookmarked it all to come back to and read in detail later. I got a copy of Robert Greenberg's
'Language and Identity in the Balkans' for Christmas so am excited to start reading that too.

I will investigate Goran Bregović!

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4377 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 7 of 522
05 January 2014 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
I managed to sort out the missing audio on my iPod last night, so when I walked to church today I listened to the first three lessons from 'Teach Yourself
Croatian' and walking back I listened to the first Pimsleur lesson. I'm not a big fan of Pimsleur, but I thought it would be good to have some variety. I am
now 100% confident in asking someone if they are an American ;)

When I got home I had to do my homework for the Croatian class I attend on Monday evenings. I have been procrastinating this since before Christmas because I
think the tasks we've been set to do are pointless and aren't going to teach us anything. There were three parts to the homework, one for each week of the
Christmas holiday.

Task one was to write out a three-course menu in Croatian for each day of the week. Potentially this may have been a relevant homework task if we had been
learning food vocabulary, but unless I dropped off during one of the lessons, I don't think we are. I didn't spend much time on this and concentrated on food
I ate when I was in Zagreb before Christmas.

Task two was to read a photocopied page of horoscopes from a Serbian magazine and underline usage of the imperative. This was vaguely relevant as we have been
practising the imperative in class, but the language used in the text is very colloquial and the sentence constructions are far more complicated than most
people in the class are going to be able to understand. (It's an entry-level class, the objectives of which seem to be to learn to say your name and order a
coffee). I dutifully underlined some imperatives and thought I might learn something from translating the horoscopes into English, but after two star signs I
lost the will to live. I don't have much time for horoscopes in any language!

Task three was to learn the words to Tiha noć (Silent Night) and be prepared to sing it in class tomorrow. I decided to rebel and not complete this part of
the homework as I can't sing in any language. Bah, humbug!

To cheer myself up, I went to Youtube and watched an episode of Thomas the Tank Engine in Croatian (search for 'tomica i prijatelji hrvatski' and you'll find
lots of episodes). I loved Thomas when I was a child and the Croatian version is really cool. Linguistically it is just about my level and the guy doing the
voiceover speaks really clearly. I can't understand every word but I can more-or-less get the gist of every sentence, so it gives a nice sense of achievement.
It's also good as practice for recognising different verbs in the past tense. I've tried a few other children's programmes in Croatian (Vatrogasac Sam, Poštar
Pat) but this is definitely my favourite :)

In an attempt to raise the intellectual tone of the day, I then went to the hrvatski page of Deutsche Welle and watched this week's 'EuroBox' programme. They
produce a 30-minute European news programme in Croatian each week and I find it really interesting. The language is definitely more challenging than Thomas
the Tank, so I'm more at the stage of picking out phrases I understand than following each sentence, but I think it's a good way to get used to hearing spoken
Croatian and the journalists do speak reasonably clearly. This week the topics covered included why Latvians aren't too happy about joining the Euro, ideas
for promoting safer driving in Italy, Germany's first female defence minister and alternative uses for church buildings in the Netherlands.

Figuring I had probably had enough audio for one day(!), I wrote a short text about my recent visit to Ljubljana over at Lang-8. It's not very inspiring, but
you can find it here. I wrote it without a dictionary because I wasn't
trying to learn new words, but rather practise expressing myself with the words I already have. Someone has kindly corrected it for me already and I have
learnt a couple of useful things, particularly about commas (which I know I get wrong even in English!). I also mistakenly used the verb 'živjeti' in the
context of staying in a hotel, probably subconsciously influenced by Esperanto, where I would probably say 'loĝi en hotelo' rather than 'resti en hotelo'.
It's good to know that Croatian is more similar to English in this respect. I didn't know the correct past participle of 'užívati' (to enjoy) and incorrectly
guessed, so that was corrected too. Other than that, I had a couple of stupid mistakes, like in the penultimate sentence I inexplicably used the accusative
when I knew full well that it should have been locative. Grrr!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4377 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 8 of 522
06 January 2014 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
I devoted my time on the train into work this morning to Memrise. As well as watering
about a hundred of my existing plants, I was able to finish planting the
Croaticum course. It looks like there may be more levels added to this in future, but I
have planted the ones that are there for the time being. The final level was
particularly useful because it contained phrases with ‘u’ and with ‘na’, eg. ‘ici na
kavu’, ‘ici u crkvu’ etc. It’s really useful to have examples of which nouns
take which preposition.

I also had time to reread chapter 8 of ‘Teach Yourself Croatian’, which focuses on
vocabulary relating to the home. I think I’m okay with the names for rooms of the
house and furniture now, but I probably need some practice on kitchen implements.

At lunch time I managed to sneak out of the office and go for a walk, while listening
to Pimsleur lesson 2.

On Monday evenings I go to a Croatian class at a local college. I enrolled in the full
knowledge that it would be a course for beginners – and I may have lied
slightly and given the impression that I was a complete beginner – but it has been far,
far more basic than I was expecting. My motivation for joining was that I am
quite introverted and speaking is always my weakest language skill by far, so I wanted
to get some practice in speaking Croatian beyond the limited conversations of
buying tickets, checking into apartments etc which I can have on holiday. I also
thought that, although it is a beginner’s course, given that the lessons are 90
minutes every Monday of the academic year, by the time it got to Christmas we might
have covered the stuff I already know and be able to deal with some more complex
material. They don’t run a more advanced course due to lack of demand – and in fact
there are very few places in the UK where you can attend any sort of lessons in
Croatian at all – so I decided it was worth giving it a go.

With the benefit of hindsight, it was a big mistake. Yes, it is nice to practise
speaking aloud, but overall it is an extremely frustrating experience and the
standard of the teaching is not very high. The assumption seems to be that at this
initial level we will not be capable of learning any grammar at all, and so if
you ask a question which touches on grammar the teacher will dismiss you saying, “Oh,
that would be a higher level”. The result is that those members of the class
who are using these lessons as their sole/primary source of Croatian-learning are
extremely confused.

A few weeks ago we were supposed to write some simple sentences about ourselves, for
example, and one woman wanted to say that she had a dog. The teacher explained
to her that the relevant phrase was “Imam psa”. Fine, but as we’re not learning grammar
there was no mention of the accusative case. The next week, the teacher asks
the class what the word for dog is. “Psa”, the student answers promptly. “No”, says the
teacher, “the word for dog is pas.” Cue very confused student. “But… last
week you told us it was psa!”. Dismissive teacher. “This week it is pas. Don’t worry
about it, that would be a higher level”.

I don’t think that this style of teaching, which makes Croatian appear like some
mystical language whose words change at random on a weekly basis, is very helpful :(

Anyhow, in today's lesson we were supposed to be learning the names of countries and
languages. This might have been a useful exercise if the teacher had given some
thought in advance to which languages are spoken in which countries. She lost me at the
point at which she insisted that French is spoken in Austria.

Sigh. Rant over. Hopefully will learn more tomorrow.

Edited by Radioclare on 06 January 2014 at 11:42pm

This discussion contains 522 messages over 66 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version