Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Radioclare’s TAC log 2014 (*jäŋe/*ledús)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
522 messages over 66 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7 ... 65 66 Next >>
Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4377 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 49 of 522
29 January 2014 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
This morning I got up early and before breakfast I wrote out the exercises to the following chapters of 'Teach
Yourself Croatian':

- Lesson 14, which I had been saving until I was feeling alert because it contains exercises on the
conditional.

- Lesson 15, which has questions on another one of my weak points - the comparative of adjectives.

I got almost all of the answers correct, though I think this is probably more a reflection of the fact that
the questions weren't very hard than a reflection of my confidence in these areas, and I still feel like I
need more practice.
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6950 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 50 of 522
29 January 2014 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
A while ago I posted about the collection of video and transcripts provided by some colleges in the USA.

Since that post, the colleges have expanded the collection and now include videos and transcripts of native speakers discussing briefly about cultural facets in their ancestral lands.

For your purposes, you'll probably get some use with the videos about Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia and Serbia. All of the sections that I sampled are in BCMS/SC with transcripts accompanied by translations to English.

There are also Croatian in Croatian and Serbian in Serbia which contain many video reenactments of exchanges found in phrasebooks. These could be handy to show you such language in action.

Enjoy.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4377 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 51 of 522
30 January 2014 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
Thank you Chung, those look like a great way to get listening practice and learn
something interesting at the same time :) Having the transcripts to follow will be great!

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4377 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 52 of 522
30 January 2014 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
I've been experiencing some feelings of Memrise withdrawal over the past few days as I
seem to have entered a lull where I've not planted anything new and all my existing
plants are nicely watered. This morning I browsed the Croatian courses on offer to see
whether there were any I hadn't tried yet, and came across one called 'A Valentine's
Day lesson', which contains common words related to Valentine's Day and love. It seemed
topical - and there were only 25 words in it - so I planted them all and learned quite
a few things. Most of the phrases I am highly unlikely to ever use in Croatian, but
it's good to know them and be able to recognise them in books etc.

After that warm-up, I wrote out the exercises in lesson 16 of 'Teach Yourself
Croatian'. These were the most challenging ones I have done so far. The first exercise
involved writing a short business letter, and the latter ones focussed on declensions
of 'koji'. I got a couple of those wrong, so that's another area I need to keep
practising.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6950 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 53 of 522
30 January 2014 at 4:15am | IP Logged 
Nema na čemu. Nadam se da ti se sviđaju videa

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 54 of 522
30 January 2014 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
Radioclare, I usually don't become attached to an SRS course for too long. For example,
in a few days I'll have gone through all of mthe modules of my Chinese HSK 1 course at
Memrise, while keeping watering the previous lessons. When I'm done, I'll move on to HK
2. Just like at Anki: when I get all words mature, I delete the deck. I'm going to meet
those words later, they are part of the language, after all, so, I prefer not to stick
with reviewing the same stuff over and over again.

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4377 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 55 of 522
31 January 2014 at 12:10am | IP Logged 
This morning I completed the exercises in Lesson 17 of 'Teach Yourself Croatian'. There
wasn't a lot of new material covered in this chapter, and the exercises were mainly
revision of concepts covered elsewhere in the book. I got on fine with them all, except
for the ubiquitous exercise demanding directions.

I was hoping to complete the exercises in Lesson 18 this evening, but I've had a bit of a
crisis as the power cord on my laptop has broken, so I've had to prioritise the things I
really need the computer for (i.e. work) before the battery gives out! Am flying home for
the weekend tomorrow, so will at least have my books to study from, but unfortunately not
a new laptop cable, so not sure when I will be updating my log again :(

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4377 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 56 of 522
31 January 2014 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
The good news is that there is still a little bit of battery left on my laptop this
evening and I've ordered a new charger, which is hopefully coming tomorrow :)

On my flight home this evening, I started revising the early chapters from 'Beginner's
Croatian'. So far I have read chapters 1 and 2 and most of chapter 3. It cheered me up
a bit reading it, because I can remember finding the stuff about masculine plurals
mind-blowing the first time I read it about a year ago, but now it all seems like
second nature.

I saw in another thread that someone had linked to a page on the Cactus language site
where you can take a little test to assess your language level. I tried it for Serbo-
Croatian, and scored 30/40. As comparison I took it for German (38/40) and English
(39/40). Intrigued to know what I got wrong in English!!

This discussion contains 522 messages over 66 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version