Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Radioclare’s TAC log 2014 (*jäŋe/*ledús)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
522 messages over 66 pages: 1 2 3 46 7 ... 5 ... 65 66 Next >>
prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4653 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 33 of 522
16 January 2014 at 10:27am | IP Logged 
Radioclare wrote:
"suradnja" (cooperation)

Oooo, nisam znao tu riječ, hvala ;) (I "kolebanje" samo od bugarskoga)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4377 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 34 of 522
16 January 2014 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
On my commute this morning I reread the grammar summary at the end of 'Teach Yourself
Croatian'. It was a useful reminder of the noun and adjective endings in different cases.

On the way home I made more progress with Memrise. I have now planted all of the vocab
from lesson six of the BCS textbook. I passed the 2000 items mark on Memrise today which
made me happy :)

Having now refreshed my memory of 'Teach Yourself Croatian', I have now started working
through the exercises again. This evening I completed the exercises in chapters 1 and 2.
1 person has voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4377 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 35 of 522
17 January 2014 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
Today has been a busy workday, so I have mostly just done Memrise. I had a couple of
hundred words to water this morning, and during my journey home I planted all the vocab
from lesson seven of the BCS texbook.

This evening I have worked through the exercises in chapter 3 and chapter 4 of 'Teach
Yourself Croatian'.

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4377 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 36 of 522
18 January 2014 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
I went for a walk this afternoon and listened to some of the audio which accompanies
the Hippocrene book:

- Chapter 5, where Marijana rents out a flat.
- Chapter 6, where she goes to the supermarket with Darko.

I was walking on fairly quiet roads, so was able to repeat the dialogues aloud and
focus on practising the correct intonation.

When I got home, I spent half an hour or so reading chapters 10 and 11 of the BCS
textbook. The exercises in these chapters look really useful, but I deliberately didn't
start writing them out. I'm going to be working away from home for the next 7 weeks,
and I don't have room in my suitcase for such a bulky textbook. Sob! So for the time
being, my plan is to repeat all the exercises in 'Teach Yourself Croatian' (which I
have on my Kindle) and the Hippocrene book, which is small enough to pack.

With that in mind, this evening I have completed the exercises in chapter 5 and chapter
6 of 'Teach Yourself Croatian'. The only thing I struggled with was an exercise in
chapter 6 which involved looking at a map and giving directions; nothing to do with
Croatian, more a general inability to give directions in any language ;)

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4377 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 37 of 522
19 January 2014 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
I should have listened to some more of the Hippocrene dialogues this morning when I walked to church, but I was feeling a bit down about
my impending workload so I listened to some Hladno Pivo instead to cheer myself up. I'm starting to wish I was learning Polish, because
there are so many Polish people in my church at the moment that I would be able to get weekly practice :) I'm not likely to be going to
Poland again in the near future, however, so it wouldn't make a lot of sense.

I am still partway through planting the vocab from Lesson 8 of the BCS textbook.

Today I have completed the exercises in chapter 7 and chapter 8 of 'Teach Yourself Croatian'.

My other half and I prematurely celebrated our seven-year anniversary today (it's technically on Tuesday, but I won't be here). As
presents he bought me a copy of 'The Balkans' by Mark Mazower and 'A Traveller's History of Croatia' by Benjamin Curtis, both of which I
will really look forward to reading :)

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4377 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 38 of 522
21 January 2014 at 12:05am | IP Logged 
I had to get up at 4am this morning for a flight to Scotland (where I am working this
week). I was definitely not awake enough on the plane to learn much Croatian, but I did
start reading my new book about the Balkans. I will leave it until I have read more of
it (and had more sleep) to review it, but so far I am really enjoying it and have
already learned a lot.

The entire day until 10pm has been taken up by work and work-related activities, which
hasn't left much time for Croatian. Being in Scotland, I have obviously missed my
weekly Croatian class too. This evening I have, however, finished planting the
vocabulary for lesson 8 of the BCS textbook at Memrise and watered 148 items from the
Croaticum course.

I have just finished writing out the exercises from chapters 9 and 10 of 'Teach
Yourself Croatian'.

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4377 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 39 of 522
22 January 2014 at 12:20am | IP Logged 
Today has been a bit of write-off as far as work is concerned; I didn't get back to my
hotel room until 10pm.

Luckily I anticipated this in advance and set my alarm a bit earlier this morning to get
some studying in. I wrote out the exercises from chapter 11 of 'Teach Yourself Croatian'
before breakfast :)

At lunch time I also risked being anti-social to spend some time on Memrise rather than
making small-talk with my colleagues. I watered around 200 plants and have made a small
start on planting the vocab from lesson 9 of the BCS textbook.

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4377 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 40 of 522
23 January 2014 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
I got up early again this morning and had 48 plants waiting for me to water on Memrise. I have stupidly
put two different words for 'ceiling' into the course, and whenever Memrise brings up this word I
invariably choose the wrong one!

Before breakfast I wrote out the answers to lesson 12 of 'Teach Yourself Croatian'. Some of these were
actually quite challenging as they involved changing statements to reported speech/indirect questions and
making sure you got the word order correct.

I went into Edinburgh with colleagues for dinner this evening, not getting back to the hotel until nearly
midnight, so didn't have time to do any more proper studying. We had nearly two hours on the train
though, which I was able to spend on my Memrise app. The result is that I have now planted all the
vocabulary from not just lesson 9 of the BCS textbook, but lesson 10 as well :)

This discussion contains 522 messages over 66 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version