Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Radioclare’s TAC log 2014 (*jäŋe/*ledús)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
522 messages over 66 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 65 66 Next >>
rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5030 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 513 of 522
22 December 2014 at 10:58am | IP Logged 
YAY! Keep up the good work!
1 person has voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4377 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 514 of 522
26 December 2014 at 12:09pm | IP Logged 
Hope that everyone who celebrated Christmas had a great one :)

I have been rather spoiled and have had some extremely exciting language-related
presents.

This book about Macedonian grammar, which I didn't even know existed :)

These Croatian verb tables, which I am so excited about. I spent years trying to find
something like this in English, including walking around the main bookshops in Zagreb
and asking, but found nothing. It didn't occur to me to search for it in German.

When thinking about my goals for next year I have said that German isn't going to be a
priority for me, but I have had so many German novels for Christmas that it actually
could be :)

Martin Suter is my favourite Swiss author and I think I have read all of his books
except for these two, so I'm really looking forward to them. 'Herzblut' is part of a
'krimi' series about a Bavarian detective called Kluftinger. I was reading the series
at the rate of one book per year for a while, treating myself to one whenever I was in
Germany, but as I haven't been for a couple of years I've got behind. I'm a little bit
scared about reading 'Das Parfum' because I know the storyline is rather grim, but it
is a major German work of fiction that I've not read yet so I want to give it a go. I
will definitely have plenty to review in the books thread :)

I've also had some books in Croatian/Serbian, of course. Two more children's books for
me to practise my Cyrillic reading:

Plus an adult book to read once I have mastered it:

I also got a few more novels in the Latin alphabet, including another John le Carre,
something by Bernard Cornwell, and the fifth and final book in the Conn Iggulden
series I was reading about Julius Caesar. My biggest present was probably a beautiful
set of the complete works of
August Šenoa. I am
definitely going to have to improve my Croatian to get through those :D
2 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4377 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 515 of 522
27 December 2014 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
Christmas aside, I've had quite a productive few days with the benefit of being off
work :)

I finished reading the John Le Carre novel 'Misionarska Pesma', which takes me to 188
'books' for the SC.

I watched four episodes of the Montenegrin soap opera 'Budva na pjenu od mora' while I
was wrapping my Christmas presents (yes, my wrapping really did take over four hours!)
and another two episodes this evening. I won't post anything about the storyline here
because I don't want to spoil it for Serpent if she is planning to watch it, but I
still think the director must have been a 'Sunset Beach' fan in his youth :D I counted
that over 6 minutes of the last episode I watched had passed before we finished the
recap of previous episodes and the intro music and something actually happened! I am
doing better at understanding it now though and can follow what most of the younger
characters are saying, but struggle with some of the older ones who seem to have
stronger accents.

I recorded myself reading the first page of 'Twilight' in Serbian out loud the other
day. I was going to upload it to my profile but I couldn't figure out how. I have
saved it on my hard drive anyway with the intention that I can work on my
pronunciation next year and re-record myself at the end of 2015 to see whether I have
improved.

I am working on my Cyrillic handwriting, a few letters at a time. Part of the problem
with this is that my handwriting isn't very good (and it certainly isn't swirly!) even
in English. I found an
awesome website
for Serbian Cyrillic though which has little videos with a pen
drawing each letter so that you can follow what order to do the strokes in and try to
copy. I think there are also worksheets you can download and trace the letters on
which I haven't tried yet, but I may have to resort to tomorrow if things don't go
well.

I am still working on my goals and priorities for next year. I know roughly what they
are but I'm struggling to break them down into the required daily actions to achieve
them. For example a goal for the year is to improve my written Croatian, so I would
like to have a goal of writing 50 words in Croatian every day. The problem is that I
*know* there are some days (even in January!) that I won't be able to achieve that, so
at the moment I have set a weekly goal of writing 350 words in Croatian per week.
Perhaps that achieves the same thing but I'm a bit worried that if I set weekly goals
I'll leave all my language learning until Sunday afternoons and achieve nothing during
the week, so I'm still thinking things over.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 516 of 522
27 December 2014 at 3:02am | IP Logged 
Awww, thanks for avoiding spoilers!!! I need to catch up haha.
You can also just put a spoiler warning and insert a few empty lines before and after :)

As for the goal, you can set separate goals for weekdays and weekends? for example 150 words during the week and 100 at the weekend. of course this way you can procrastinate until friday, but if it's manageable enough you may be more motivated to get it out of the way and enjoy some calm reading or something completely different for friday. you can also award yourself with some English reading time... something like that, hope the ideas help!

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4377 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 517 of 522
28 December 2014 at 12:26am | IP Logged 
That's a good idea which I hadn't though of, thank you :) I'm trying to get a balance
between resolutions being challenging and not setting myself up to fail from the
start. As far as the SC goes, I think I am going to give up on the idea of trying to
complete a double challenge and provisionally my goals are just to read 50 pages of
Croatian per week and watch 60 minutes of TV. That's a lot less than what I have been
doing since May and I think it might be a compromise between dropping out entirely and
freeing up time for other things :)

I practised writing 50 words in Croatian today and actually wrote 99 without realising
:) They weren't 99 very inspiring words, but never mind. I've started with my holiday
in Macedonia earlier in the year as a theme in the absence of any better ideas.

I also spent another hour or so on my handwriting this morning. I think it is
improving - not necessarily in terms of how it looks but it terms of how
quickly/easily I can produce my (mangled) versions of the letters. If I look at
pictures of Cyrillic handwriting online then the comparison is painful I am reminding
myself that people will only put pictures of good handwriting on the internet :) I
mean, if you compared my English handwriting to a model text from a handwriting book
then it would look pretty dreadful too. Ultimately I am only aiming to have
handwriting that is functional for me and that I can understand; I am not trying to
win a calligraphy prize. And it is probably just as well :D

In a fit of virtue I started trying to make notes from Chapter 10 of my BCS grammar
book this afternoon, but gave up after about half an hour when I decided it was a task
best tackled completely sober. And I have been enjoying my new Croatian verb tables
book; I am going to start copying out verbs by hand every now and again so that I get
better at conjugations.

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4377 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 518 of 522
28 December 2014 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
I've been trying to start my resolutions a bit early and get in the habit of writing 50 words of Croatian per day. I wrote
about 99 yesterday and something similar today and got it corrected on Lang 8.

Radioclare originally wrote:
U rujnu sam bila na odmoru u Makedoniji. To je bilo prvi put da sam bila u toj zemlji, premda sam
proteklih godina često mislila o tome što ću jednog dana ići tamo. Ove godine sam imala priliku da kupujem povoljnu kartu iz
londonske zračne luke "Luton" do makedonske zračne luke koja se nalazi malo izvan glavnog grada Skoplje. Ta žračna luka se zove
"Aerodrom Aleksander Veliki" zbog narodnog junaka. Aleksander je bio kralj starog makedonskog carstva. On je kontroverzni lik
zbog toga što vjeruju Makedonci da je bio Makedonac, a vjeruju Grci isto jako da je bio Grk.

Zračna luka nije velika, mada je veća od nekoliko drugih zračnih luka na Balkanu - Split i Ljubljana, na primjer, ako se može
reći da je Ljubljana uopće na Balkanu. Kad sam stigla u Makedoniji, malo sam se bojala zbog toga što samo malo govorim
makedonski jezik i nisam znala da li bi mnogo ljudi u Makedoniji dobro govorilo engleski. Mislila sam da ću možda probati da
govorim na srpskom i se nadati da su dva jezici dovoljno slično da me ljudi mogu razumjeti.

Sretno nisam zapravo imala velikih problema dok sam bila u Makedoniji. Čovjek koji je naše putovnice pregledao je pitao mog
dečka koliko dugo ćemo ostati u zemlji i moj dečko nije znao točan odgovor, a to je najgore što se dogodilo u zračnoj luci :)

Following the corrections I realised that I should have wrote:
U rujnu sam bila na odmoru u Makedoniji. To je bilo prvi put da
sam bila u toj zemlji, premda sam proteklih godina često razmišljala o tome kako ću
jednog dana ići tamo. Ove godine sam imala priliku kupiti povoljnu kartu iz londonske zračne luke "Luton" do
makedonske zračne luke koja se nalazi malo izvan glavnog grada Skoplja. Ta žračna luka se zove "Aerodrom
Aleksander Veliki" po narodnom junaku. Aleksander je bio kralj starog makedonskog carstva. On je
kontroverzni lik zbog toga što Makedonci vjeruju da je bio Makedonac, a Grci vjeruju da
je bio Grk.

Zračna luka nije velika, mada je veća od nekoliko drugih zračnih luka na Balkanu, primjerice - one u Splitu i
Ljubljani
, ako se može reći da je Ljubljana uopće na Balkanu. Kad sam stigla u Makedoniju, malo sam
se bojala zbog toga što samo malo govorim makedonski jezik i nisam znala da li mnogo ljudi u Makedoniji dobro govori engleski.
Mislila sam da ću možda probati govoriti na srpskom i nadala sam se da su
ta dva jezika dovoljno slična da me ljudi mogu razumjeti.

Srećom nisam imala velikih problema dok sam bila u Makedoniji. Čovjek koji je
pregledao naše putovnice pitao je mog dečka koliko dugo ćemo ostati u zemlji i moj dečko
nije znao točan odgovor, a to je najgore što se dogodilo u zračnoj luci :)

So, what can I learn from those corrections?

1) That I made a couple of silly case errors when I should have known better. Grrr.

2) That I have been reading too much Serbian, because it felt quite natural to say "da kupujem" or "da govorim" rather than
"kupiti" or "govoriti". I know those aren't real errors but I guess I just have to be mindful of the fact that they may be
perceived as such if I'm trying to pass myself off as speaking 'Croatian' rather than anything else.

3) There were a few word order errors. Word order is definitely something I need to pay more attention to. It's a difficult
one, because it isn't always explicitly explained in textbooks.

Overall I don't think it went too badly, especially considering that I didn't spend much time on it. This gives me hope that I
might be able to manage 50 words per day after all.

In other news I have been watching a Belgian TV series which is mainly in Flemish. It's called 'Salamander' and I'd never heard
of it (although apparently it has been shown on BBC4) but my sister bought me the DVD for Christmas as I'm going on holiday to
Brussels tomorrow, so I've been watching it to get in the mood. It's very exciting and Flemish sounds like an interesting
language :)

Edited by Radioclare on 28 December 2014 at 10:45pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 519 of 522
28 December 2014 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
Flemish isn't a language. It's like saying American is a language :) (Unless you are
talking about some very specific dialects in the west, but then you should clarify with
West Flemish and even that's debatable).

Any standard Belgian TV series are spoken in Dutch, but they use a standardised Belgian
pronunciation (and certain Belgicisms which never occur in the Netherlands). Hence why
it's termed Flemish. If you're going to write it, then it's Dutch. It's the same written
language, we don't even have spelling differences like in English between the US and UK
variants.

Edited by tarvos on 28 December 2014 at 11:04pm

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4377 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 520 of 522
28 December 2014 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
Oops, sorry - I didn't know that! Thanks for clarifying :)

This discussion contains 522 messages over 66 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version