Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Radioclare’s TAC log 2014 (*jäŋe/*ledús)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
522 messages over 66 pages: 1 24 5 6 7 ... 3 ... 65 66 Next >>
Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4377 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 17 of 522
12 January 2014 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
This morning I opened the folder where I keep materials from my Croatian class in order
to do my much-procrastinated homework. It turned out that I needn't have procrastinated
because I could make neither rhyme nor reason of the worksheets we had been given; they
were badly printed with half the words missing.

I made use of my reprieve to watch my weekly episode of 'Tomica i prijatelji'. This
episode was about how Thomas and Percy are best friends, but almost fall out over who
gets to pull carriages carrying a visiting orchestra. I learn a new word - 'fućkati' -
which I assume means to whistle.

I also watched my weekly instalment of 'Eurobox' on Deutsche Welle. This week's episode
dealt with themes including Polish people living in western Ukraine, a private
university in England which is teaching a course about espionage, the ongoing misery of
public sector workers made redundant in Greece and a shop in Naples which sells very
expensive ties.

This afternoon I fortified myself with coffee and read chapter 13 of the Hippocrene
Croatian book, which deals with the conditional. I followed everything pretty well, but
then found that the bit I have been struggling with (if-clauses) was actually dealt
with in chapter 15. I didn't do the exercises in chapter 13 as they were mostly to
practise comparatives and superlatives of adjectives, also covered by that chapter, but
which I didn't feel in the mood for. It is a topic I need to get a better grip on
though - maybe next weekend! I skimmed chapter 14 and then read chapter 15 in detail.
The explanation there of the correct tenses to use in different clauses was much
cleared than in 'Teach Yourself Croatian'; it still made my head hurt, but I think it
is definitely something I can come back to consult every time I get confused in future.

It did remind me how much I love my Hippocrene book. I will be working away for the
next 7 weeks or so after this one, and I think I will pack it and try to work through
the exercises again from start to finish.

Memrise is still going strong; I've nearly finished planting the vocabulary from the
first five lessons of the BCS textbook :)

Edited by Radioclare on 12 January 2014 at 11:47pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6950 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 18 of 522
13 January 2014 at 1:16am | IP Logged 
Magner's text isn't the greatest but I got a lot of it after doing all of the exercises and getting feedback from a Croatian friend. I started to study BCMS/SC using that and TY Croatian. It's true that Magner's book is dated with some *ahem* quaint ideas about Yugoslavia, not to mention a strange layout of placing all of the grammar notes (although they're very clear) in a large appendix rather than piecemeal with the lessons themselves. On the other hand before the release of Alexander's and Elias-Bursac's textbook, Magner's book gave the most concise and even-handed presentation of Croatian and Serbian in one course. If you don't rely on it as a primary resource, I don't blame you. On the other hand, it might still have some use to you with by acting as a kind of rudimentary audiobook for you to shadow. Indiana University's audio archive has all of the chapters' audio available for free downloading as .mp3s under "Introduction to Serbo-Croatian Language --T.F. Magner" (an older edition before the latest edition with its title showing "...Croatian and Serbian language" in the title - note that "language" is singular rather than plural as one might expect with "Croatian" and "Serbian" listed in the same title)

It's good to see that you're enjoying Hippocrene's book, and I have to agree that it makes a solid alternative to TY Croatian (frankly, I think that it outdoes "TY Croatian", not to mention "Colloquial Croatian"). The authors of "Beginner's Croatian" (and "Beginner's Serbian" by the same authors) acknowledge the help of Ronelle Alexander among others - a good sign considering how Alexander's thoroughness and knowledge of Southern Slavonic languages also contributed to her textbooks for BCMS/SC and Bulgarian.

It seems that Hippocrene has smartened up a bit recently and commissioned professionals to make a few of its courses (e.g. "Beginner's Russian" by Kagan et al., "Beginner's Ukrainian" (2nd ed.) by Shevchuk, "Beginner's Georgian" by Kiziria) rather than recycle public domain material (e.g. "Hungarian Basic Course" a.k.a. Volume 1 of FSI Hungarian Basic Course (textbook only)) or even worse. get ambitious amateurs to make their courses (e.g. "Beginner's Slovak" by Elena Letňanová who is a translator and concert pianist; "Beginner's Ukrainian" (1st ed.) by Johannes Poulard whose connection to Ukrainian seems to have been as a Slavophile/Russophile. According to his LinkedIn he got a degree in Fine Arts but I see no mention of Slavonic Studies or similar (!) or any professional work even requiring knowledge of Ukrainian).
3 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 19 of 522
13 January 2014 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
Radioclare, your log is truly inspiring! I'm going to follow your journey through
Croatian close and learn before I try it on my own.

Chung, do you really think Beginner's Croatian or Beginner's Serbian is something one
can't do without? Either one of them and Spoken World Croatian are books I dream of, but
budget is tight since I got Basic Georgian. I already have everything for Croatian that
can be found 'out there', you know.
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6950 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 20 of 522
13 January 2014 at 7:21pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
Radioclare, your log is truly inspiring! I'm going to follow your journey through
Croatian close and learn before I try it on my own.

Chung, do you really think Beginner's Croatian or Beginner's Serbian is something one
can't do without? Either one of them and Spoken World Croatian are books I dream of, but
budget is tight since I got Basic Georgian. I already have everything for Croatian that

I don't think so. Basically I classify Beginner's Croatian and Beginner's Serbian on the same level as TY Serbian, and somewhat higher than TY Croatian and even higher than Colloquial Croatian or Colloquial Serbian. All of these would be typical choices for raw beginners in BCMS/SC. Spoken World Croatian is also comparable in price and coverage although it has a lot more audio than any of these courses but for one reason or another it doesn't seem to me to turn up as often as those other courses. (Alexander's course for beginners is good but its size and comprehensiveness could scare off beginners).

If you're a total beginner without a course (and don't want to start with FSI or DLI), then getting one of TY Serbian, Beginner's Croatian, Beginner's Serbian or Spoken World Croatian would be ideal. Otherwise make do with what you have. If I remember correctly you already have Alexander's textbook and Assimil Serbo-Croate sans peine, and I'm left to guess that you also have TY Croatian and/or Colloquial Croatian. That should be enough. Remember I started off with TY Croatian and Magner's textbook (before I knew that Indiana University offered the old edition's audio in its archive), and ain't worse for the wear.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4377 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 21 of 522
14 January 2014 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
On the other hand, it might still have some use to you with by acting as a kind of rudimentary audiobook for you
to shadow. Indiana University's audio archive has all of the
chapters' audio available for free downloading as .mp3s
under "Introduction to Serbo-Croatian Language --T.F. Magner"
(an older edition before the latest edition with its title showing "...Croatian and Serbian language" in the title - note
that "language" is singular rather than plural as one might expect with "Croatian" and "Serbian" listed in the same title)

Wow, now that I know there is audio available, the book has gone up several points in my estimation! Thank you, that looks
really useful.

Chung wrote:
It's good to see that you're enjoying Hippocrene's book, and I have to agree that it makes a solid alternative
to TY Croatian (frankly, I think that it outdoes "TY Croatian", not to mention "Colloquial Croatian"). The authors of
"Beginner's Croatian" (and "Beginner's Serbian" by the same authors) acknowledge the help of Ronelle Alexander among others -
a good sign considering how Alexander's thoroughness and knowledge of Southern Slavonic languages also contributed to her
textbooks for BCMS/SC and Bulgarian.

The Hippocrene book is definitely my favourite that I have tried so far. I started with 'Teach Yourself Croatian' because
initially I was just aiming for holiday/vacation Croatian and normally the series is pretty good for that. I was pleasantly
surprised to find that 'Teach Yourself Croatian' was far more comprehensive than I had expected based on other languages I've
tried ('Teach Yourself French' is probably the worst one I've used) and provided a grounding.

When I became more serious about learning I bought 'Colloquial Croatian', never having heard of Hippocrene books and assuming
this was the next best step up. I was extremely disappointed by it and despite owning it for over year I probably haven't
worked through more than 50% of it. Every time I try I end up despairing because the dialogues and exercises in each chapter
include vocabulary and grammar which hasn't yet been taught. Time and time again I have completed an exercise only to find it
wasn't one of the chosen few deemed important enough to have its answer included in the key. I find it extremely frustrating!

I came across the Hippocrene 'Beginners Croatian' by sheer coincidence in a public library when I arrived too early for an
Esperanto presentation I was giving. It was love at first sight ;) The dialogues are complex enough to be interesting and
worth reading, but all the vocab used is given in the word lists. The presentation of grammar is thorough but accessible and
presented in a logical way so that if you decide you want to brush up on numbers, you can just go the relevant chapter and
read all about it in a couple of concise pages. Some of the translation exercises are challenging but I find you can do them
over and over again and improve a bit each time. It is an expensive book and I had to wait for my birthday to get a copy,
but it was worth it :)

Once I have got to a stage of functional fluency with Croatian, I aim to go back to learning either Russian or Czech and
would definitely be interested to see what the Hippocrene series is like for those languages.

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4377 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 22 of 522
14 January 2014 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
Radioclare, your log is truly inspiring! I'm going to follow your
journey through Croatian close and learn before I try it on my own.

Thank you, Expugnator :)

I have never heard of Spoken World Croatian - this sounds like something I may need to
investigate and add to my wish-list too!

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4377 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 23 of 522
14 January 2014 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
Today wasn't a very productive day, I'm afraid. Too much work, too little time :(

I somehow ended up with over 200 words to water on Memrise this morning, but am all up-
to-date with it now.

I was supposed to go to my Croatian class at 18.30 this evening but got stuck in a
meeting until 18.25, then had another hour of work to do before I could leave. I
eventually got to my class at 19.40; it finishes at 19.55.

Happily, I don't seem to have missed much. The teacher had a form to tick to confirm
that we had mastered basic skills, including saying our names and where we come from.
We then had to demonstrate that we could read a short text aloud. I got there on time
to do that and was given a short text about the family of JFK, which was fine.

On the way home I listened to some Hladno Pivo to cheer myself up :)

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 24 of 522
14 January 2014 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
What a coincidence, we plan to learn the same Slavic languages: Croatian, Russian and
Czech. Only that I started with Russian.

This discussion contains 522 messages over 66 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version