Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Radioclare’s TAC log 2014 (*jäŋe/*ledús)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
522 messages over 66 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 65 66 Next >>
Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4377 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 41 of 522
23 January 2014 at 7:21pm | IP Logged 
There was a lot of watering awaiting me on Memrise this morning after all the planting I
did last night.

Before breakfast I wrote out the answers to the exercises in lesson 13 of 'Teach Yourself
Croatian'. I found some of these quite difficult as they dealt with dates; both giving
the date on which something is happening and saying the year in which someone was born. I
am particularly bad at years in any language - even in Esperanto where it couldn't really
be much easier - so this may be a chapter that I need to revisit again in future.

The client is taking me and my colleagues for a night out in Glasgow tonight, so expect
that no further studying will be done!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4377 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 42 of 522
24 January 2014 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
Last night degenerated from a meal and drinks into clubbing and sambuca, with the result
that we didn't get in until 3am and had to be at work for 8. I therefore didn't manage to
do any more lessons from 'Teach Yourself Croatian' before breakfast. I may not have
managed breakfast itself :'(

All I have achieved today is to keep on top of my Memrise plants. I had 248 awaiting
watering this morning, which I've managed to get through in stages throughout the day.

On the plane on the way home from Scotland this evening, I tried to revise some chapters
from 'Beginner's Croatian' but fell asleep after about 15 minutes.

Hoping that tomorrow will be a more productive day!
1 person has voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4377 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 43 of 522
25 January 2014 at 10:47pm | IP Logged 
Despite sleeping for 10 hours last night, I still felt pretty wiped out today!

This morning I caught up with more Memrise watering; over 200 plants, mainly refreshing vocabulary I learnt in the Croaticum course a few weeks
ago.

This afternoon I watched an episode of 'Poštar Pat' (or Poštar Pet!) on Youtube. It was called 'Zeleni Zec' and the storyline revolved around Pat
volunteering to look after a baby while its family go to the cinema with Pat's son, Julian. The baby is very attached to its green rabbit toy,
which it proceeds to lose multiple times during Pat's post-round, causing chaos as Pat has to hunt for it desperately to stop the baby crying.

When I first started watching it I was struggling to catch some of the sentences, but as the story progressed I got more into it so I think it
was probably just because I haven't listened to much (any?) Croatian audio this week. Once I got to the end, I watched it through again and
followed it a lot better second time around :)

The rest of the afternoon was largely taken up with making holiday plans. I wanted to go to Montenegro in September but options for flying to
Podgorica are quite limited and the prices of flights to Dubrovnik are far too expensive. I did, however, find amazingly cheap flights to Skopje,
so I spent quite a while researching how difficult it would be to get to Montenegro from Macedonia (very!!). Getting to Serbia seems more
straightforward though, so now I am contemplating a few days in Macedonia (which looks beautiful) and the rest of my holiday in Serbia for some
language practice.

This evening I found a website where you can test your Croatian level. I'm not sure how
accurate it is, but I scored 46/60 which is estimated level B2. That's better than I expected; I would have guessed that I am at B1.

Edited by Radioclare on 25 January 2014 at 10:49pm

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 44 of 522
26 January 2014 at 10:42pm | IP Logged 
Radioclare, this log is bringing me intense wanderlust for Croatian! Will have to hold on
to Russian firmly. Nice to know you're already at a B1 level.

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4377 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 45 of 522
26 January 2014 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
Thank you, Expugnator :) I have to confess that I am experiencing extreme wanderlust for
Czech at the moment as I have a week off work in July which is potentially going to be
Central European holiday.

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4377 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 46 of 522
26 January 2014 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
This morning I had a nice blast of Hladno Pivo to cheer me up as I walked to church in
the pouring rain. I treated myself to the single 'Na ovim prostorima', so listened to
that quite a few times.

This afternoon I read and wrote out all the exercises from the first two chapters of
'Bosnian, Croatian and Serbian - A Textbook'. These were pretty easy as I've learned
all the vocab on Memrise now, but it was good to practise doing the drills.

I also completed the homework for my Croatian class, which was emailed to me although I
missed last week's lesson and will miss this week's too. We had to write a shopping
list, which wasn't too difficult for me but may be a bit difficult for everybody else
if they don't know about the genitive yet.

This evening I read another chapter from 'The Balkans' by Mark Mazower. I'm flying to
Scotland again tomorrow morning, so hoping to read more on the plane.

I have to add that this week a colleague was asking me questions about Esperanto, and
wanted to know what the word for "chair" would be as an example of how the language
sounds. I had a moment of absolute blind panic as the only word for "chair" entering my
mind was the Croatian "stolica". Esperanto is my most fluent foreign language and I can
speak/understand it as rapidly as English, but I actually had to stall her and tell her
the word for "table" (tablo) instead while I dredged the word for "chair" (seĝo)out of
the furthest recesses of my mind. It's never good to stumble over Esperanto words while
trying to demonstrate to a sceptic that it is a "real" language, but I was able to draw
consolation from the fact that the amount of Croatian practice I have been doing must
be paying off if that is currently the uppermost foreign language in my mind!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 47 of 522
27 January 2014 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
It is surprising to have interference from Esperanto into Croatian, Radioclare. After
all, they both have plenty of words ending in vowels, and consonants that change when
adding something over them =D A friend from Serbia would go mad everytime I wrote Serbian
using Esperanto's unofficial digraphs due to lack of proper characters, for example, I'd
write 'nisxta ne znam'

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4377 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 

Message 48 of 522
28 January 2014 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
A friend from Serbia would go mad everytime I wrote Serbian
using Esperanto's unofficial digraphs due to lack of proper characters, for example,
I'd
write 'nisxta ne znam'

I do this all the time :D If I want to type out answers to exercises it's so much
quicker than inserting the proper accented characters. But I can imagine that it looks
quite strange to other people!

Today I had to get up at 4am to fly back to Scotland. On the plane I read some more of
'The Balkans'; I'm about halfway through now. I'm enjoying it but don't think it would
be a great book to choose if it was your first attempt at reading up on Balkan history,
as quite a bit of background knowledge seems to be assumed.

Apart from keeping up with Memrise, all I have done today is watch a short video on
Deutsche Welle hrvatski about the popularity of public showers in Paris.

Hoping to be less tired tomorrow and do some more exercises from TYC.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 522 messages over 66 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version