ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5658 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 73 of 98
17 March 2014 at 4:12am | IP Logged 
汉语
Today i finished chapter 11, which puts me at 98 pages. I'll finish my goal of 100 pages tomorrow :)

I also checked today and i've got about 2,650 words that i'm studying in Pleco. It doesn't seem like that much, i wonder where i'll be when i finish the HSK 6 list (another 2,500 words)... Today i did better in my reviews (82%), i was able to focus a bit better.

Euskara
Well i started unit 7 today. The main grammar bits are in the second half of this unit, so i'll have more to comment on that tomorrow. I was a bit surprised to see that i knew most of the new vocabulary introduced outside the dialog, though to be fair a lot of it is pretty transparent with Spanish, presumably Spanish loan words.

I finished lesson 30 on Ikasten today and started the review lesson, but (of course!) the site went down while i was going through it. So that's why i'm writing here now ;) I really like the reading exercises, though. They're usually pretty interesting and it's nice to feel like i'm actually learning something!

EDIT: Just wanted to say that i posted a discusion at Duolingo to try to promote Euskara as a language to add. I also sent an application in for a Catalan for English speakers course.

Edited by Crush on 17 March 2014 at 7:58am

1 person has voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5658 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 74 of 98
18 March 2014 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
I'll post a more complete post later, just wanted to say that "The Basque Language" finally came in today!

UPDATE:
Today i did my normal stuff for Chinese, reading and character reviews. I finished my March challenge yesterday, i'm currently at 108 pages read for the month. I'd like to reach 200 pages, but i think next week i'll be much busier and won't have as much time for study.

For Basque, i spent a little time looking through "The Basque Language" and i can't wait to really dive it, it seems like just the thing i need right now that most beginner's courses are too easy whereas Ikasten at times doesn't explain a whole lot. At the end it's got some selected readings, a sort of simple graded reader, which should be fun to read through. Alan King seems like a really passionate person about Basque (they're also the author of Colloquial Basque). I'd also like to do work in the future to make the language more accessible, we'll see how that goes.

I also finished unit 7. It appears that starting in unit 8 they pick up the pace quite a bit, so i'm looking forward to these last 5 lessons. It should introduce some stuff i'm not that familiar with yet and some new verb tenses i haven't covered.

In Ikasten, i did lesson 31. Four more lessons and i'll have finished the A2 course! Today's lesson was about the -(e)lako suffix, which is added to verbs to answer "zergatik" (why?). For example, "Zergatik haserretu zarete?" (Why are you angry (why have you gotten angry)?) "Berandu etorri zinelako haserretu gara" (We're angry because you came late). There is another form that you can use, but i think you can't use it to answer a question, only to provide information:
"Haserretu gara, zu berandu etorri zinen eta." (We are angry because you came late). Here, the "eta" at the end is a particle meaning "because".

I also found an interesting series on Basque myths and tales, called "Euskal Herriko mito eta ipuin zaharrak":
Martin Abade
Senpereko Gaztelua
Basajaun eta Martin Txiki
Maitagarri
Muruko dama gaztea
Iratxoak
Suge desafiatzailea

The language is pretty clear, i think it's the Gipuzcoan dialect. While i can't understand everything there's surprisingly a good amount i can understand, enough to follow along for the most part.

Edited by Crush on 19 March 2014 at 4:30am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5658 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 75 of 98
19 March 2014 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
Euskara
Yikes! Starting in unit 8 they really kick it up a notch in Colloquial Basque, the starting dialog, rather than being a short conversation or two like the previous lessons, was a solid page, perhaps page and a half-long text, without a vocabulary list at the end to look words up. There were tons of new words and i think there were quite a few things left unexplained in the text, but i definitely enjoyed this lesson much more than the others. I feel like someone with a little bit of background in Basque can pretty safely skip the first 7 lessons and go right to lesson 8. Starting in unit 9, there should be a lot more work with verbs, which i'm looking forward to.

汉语
As usual, continued with 撒哈拉的故事 (another five pages) and did my reviews. I also added a funny word i heard in 爱情公寓 a couple days ago: 出轨 (to have an affair). Literally it means to "leave the rails" aka to derail (as in a train). Some other interesting phrases i've picked up from 爱情公寓 are:
放(谁的)鸽子: to stand someone up, literally "to release a dove".
劈腿: to cheat on someone (ie have two relationships at once), lit. to do the splits!
处男: virgin
追(求): to "court" someone, literally to chase them.

As you can see, i've picked up lots of useful things ;)

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5658 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 76 of 98
23 March 2014 at 7:11am | IP Logged 
I've almost finished Chapter 12 of 撒哈拉的故事, the longest chapter in the book (34 pages). I should finish it tomorrow. My character reviews haven't been going as well lately, i think i'm starting to get really bored of them and have trouble paying attention. I feel like i'm advancing so slowly, and i also realize that the HSK1-HSK5 lists only make up half the words, the HSK6 effectively doubles the amount of words you need to know (HSK1-5 have about 2,500, HSK6 also has around 2,500). So while i'm about to finish the HSK5 list, i'm not even halfway through yet :/

For Euskara, i finished lesson 9 in Colloquial Basque today and lesson 33 in Ikasten. Lesson 35 is the last lesson in the A2 level, after that i'll be going through the B1 course. I've found that my recognition of the NOR-NORI-NORK forms is really awful. I can produce them thinking about them carefully and read them ok, but listening is out of the question.

To anyone looking for Basque cartoons, you should check out Euskal Encodings. I've found a bunch of interesting cartoons there. I've watched parts of a few of them and was surprised how simple the language was and how much i could understand. I definitely think cartoons are the way to go to get started listening in a new language, it's what i did for Spanish, French, and Catalan, and helped immensely. Dubs in cartoons are also much less noticeable than in movies or series with real people.

Anyway, i'm looking forward to finishing Colloquial Basque within the next few days and then breaking into The Basque Language. A quick note about Colloquial Basque, while the last few lessons are definitely much fuller, i still can't help but feel like the whole thing is rather disorganised...

EDIT: Just sent some e-mails out on SharedTalk looking for some Basque-English language exchange partners... I'm a bit nervous! But i think i really need to start using some of what i'm learning so that it becomes more automatic.

Edited by Crush on 23 March 2014 at 8:09am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5658 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 77 of 98
24 March 2014 at 4:01am | IP Logged 
汉语
Today i finished chapter 12. which puts me at 132 pages for the month. I also did my character reviews.

Euskara
I did unit 10 of Colloquial Basque, which introduced a new verb form, i believe it's known as the "potential" form. It basically adds the meaning of "being able to" to the main verb. It's something i hadn't studied before and i'm not sure if it is as flexible as English's "can" or if it only covers some of its meanings.

I also finished the errepasoa (review) lesson for 31-33. I'm thinking of possibly trying to start watching some Basque cartoons, right now i can't make head or tail of spoken Basque, not because i can't make out the words but because each word has so much information crammed into it and i can't process it quickly enough, especially the NOR-NORI-NORK verbs. They're even trickier because the order switches in the past to NORK-NOR-NORI.

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5658 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 78 of 98
25 March 2014 at 4:20am | IP Logged 
汉语
As usual, i got another five pages in 撒哈拉的故事 (now in chapter 13) and did my character reviews. I'm not quite sure what to do after i finish 撒哈拉的故事, as i think it's still a bit above my level, or at least it's still at the point where i see it as studying and not reading. I might look into one of the 第十二夜 books and see if that's simpler. If not i might shift back to just vocab and grammar for a bit.

Euskara
Today i did lesson 11 of Colloquial Basque. I'm going through them pretty quickly as i really just want to get through it and start The Basque Language, though today i did learn some new things that i'd seen before and wanted to see explained, like the "-t(z)ea" ending for verbs when the verb is the subject or object, as in:
"Euskaraz hitz egiTEA gustatzen zait"
-gustatzen zait is a similar construction to Spanish's "me gusta", literally it means something like "it pleases to me".
-euskaraz means "in Basque", the "-z" ending is the instrumental, so you'll use it for things like "trenez dator" (he is coming by train) and "Goazen oinez!" (let's go on foot!), but also when talking about using Euskara to speak (euskaraZ).
-hitz egin means "to speak", literally "to make words" (hitz = word, egin = do). Here it is "hitz egitea" beause it is the subject (here, NOR) of the sentence, and gives it a meaning of "speaking" when we use it as a noun (speaking is fun, speaking is hard).
-so in a nutshell, we have "I like speaking (in) Basque." Easy, no? :D

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5658 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 79 of 98
30 March 2014 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
I've been having trouble keeping up with my studies the past few days, but i'm happy to announce that i've finally finished Colloquial Basque. Other than that, not a lot going on.

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5658 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 80 of 98
06 April 2014 at 5:47am | IP Logged 
Well i've finally almost finished the A2 course, i just have to do the Errepasoa and i'll be ready for the B1 course!

I've started reading through The Basque Language, but i really haven't had much free time the past week. I have around 250 character reviews everyday and by the time i get through with them i feel exhausted. I think i'm going to stop adding new characters for a while once i finish the HSK 5 lists (i have 100 words left), it'd be nice to get my reviews back down to 100/day again and even better to just be able to read and maintain them that way.

This discussion contains 98 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version