Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5659 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 65 of 98
09 March 2014 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
Yesterday i read a couple pages in 撒哈拉的故事 but other than that didn't do a whole lot. I didn't even finish my character reviews, as i got a small job translating some Catalan documents into English and that took most of my day up :) I didn't do anything with Euskara, i'll have to try to make up for it today.
1 person has voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5659 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 66 of 98
10 March 2014 at 8:16am | IP Logged 
Ahhh today they introduced the past forms for about ten verbs, it's way too much to remember. I think i may need to stop Ikasten and come back later, it's just really overwhelming me.

Also, verbs in Basque are listed in a rather weird order:
1st sg
2nd sg (familiar)
3rd sg
1st pl
2nd sg (normal)
2nd pl
3rd pl

I just ignore the 2nd sg familiar forms for the most part, at least in the other courses i've done they haven't covered them and i don't know how often they're used (or if they're mostly dialectal).

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5659 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 67 of 98
10 March 2014 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
I just finished chapter 9, which puts me at 64 pages for the month.

EDIT: I also finished lesson 28 of Ikasten, though i still don't know those words very well. I pulled Colloquial Basque back out and i've decided that when (if) i get paid for the last translation i did, i'll use the money to pick up "The Basque Language: A Practical Introduction" to follow up with after the Colloquial course. That with Ikasten should occupy me for a while.

Edited by Crush on 11 March 2014 at 6:46am

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5659 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 68 of 98
13 March 2014 at 6:36am | IP Logged 
I read 4 pages at Lingocracy today and did a good bit at Duolingo. I'd tested out of a good portion of the French and German courses and the past week or two haven't actually progressed, just trying to "revive" the levels i've done. I'd advanced a little ways into the Portuguese and Italian courses, too, but not as far. Those are both caught up and i've started new stuff. At the current rate it'll take me several years to finish the courses :P

Ikasten is down again today, but i finished Chapter 4 of Colloquial Basque. It looks like Chapter 5 won't introduce anything really knew to me, either. It looks like the bulk of it takes place in the last third of the book. The audio section is really well done, though. I can't recall ever having had the audio to a Colloquial course before, or if i did it was more of a bother trudging through lots of useless stuff. There's still lots of English on these CDs, but it's like having a separate audio course with drills. It uses the vocabulary from the lesson as well as the texts, but does different drills and has extra explanations that aren't in the book and is self-contained (you don't need the book to follow the audio). Anyway, i enjoy going through them.

What i'm most looking forward to, though, is getting "A Practical Introduction" in soon.

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3716 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 69 of 98
13 March 2014 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
I came over to check out your log, and I am very impressed! Kind of nice that you use
this as an opportunity to review and consolidate what you learned each day. That is a
good idea, and I might try to do that some, too. The little I read here about Basque
sounds very intimidating! :-) But I guess with any language, just take it a little step
at a time and sometimes repeat those steps, and any language is learnable. You are doing
well! :-)

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5659 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 70 of 98
14 March 2014 at 3:59am | IP Logged 
Thanks for stopping by, nancydowns. Yeah, Euskara can feel really intimidating, but i think it actually makes quite a bit of sense. There's just a lot you have to wrap your head around, mostly verb forms. It's not difficult, it just takes a while to learn them all and to get comfortable enough with them to use them naturally or without a verb chart sitting in front of you ;)

汉语
Today i finished chapter 10, which sets me at 81 pages. I don't think getting a 100 pages in by the end of the month will be an issue :) I didn't plan on reading so much today, but the story today was pretty interesting, though i'm not really sure what happened in the end. 三毛 just sorta leaves it to the explanation given by the 撒哈啦威人, that she was cursed.

Euskara
Today i listened through the audio for unit 4 again and read through the first half of unit 5. It seems like the audio portions get shorter as the units go on, which i'm kinda bummed about. I hope that doesn't mean they're not less interesting than the first few ones.

I'm going to try to make it through part of lesson 29 at Ikasten before calling it quits for today.

EDIT: Today's lesson was about the imperative. I knew you could just use the participle as the infinitive, for example "joan" for "Go!" or "ekarri" for "Bring (it)!", but there's (of course!) another form. For intransitive verbs, you can use zaitez for 2nd sg and zaitezte for 2nd pl. To say Go! you would say "Joan zaitez!". For intransitive, you use ezazu/ezazue for singular objects, and itzazu and itzazue when there are multiple direct objects. To say "Bring your friend!": "Ekar ezazu zure laguna!" To say "Bring your friends!" talking to two or more people: "Ekar itzazue zure lagunak!"

I'm not really sure if you ever need to use the auxiliary form, i'm going to try to remember it just for recognition but not worry about using it too much. I imagine there's a whole new conjugation for bring me/us as well, which i'm not really looking forward to having to learn :P

Edited by Crush on 14 March 2014 at 5:12am

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5659 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 71 of 98
15 March 2014 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
汉语
I read five more pages today, now in chapter 11. A story about how 三毛 got her driver's license in the 撒哈拉 after driving around for the longest time without one and without ever having formally learned how to drive. This puts me at 86 pages.

Euskara
This lesson (29, still) is relatively easy, compared to the previous ones which introduced so many verb forms. Like i said before, i don't know that it's really that useful to be able to produce them, mostly just recognize them. But maybe it's better not to be able to understand orders? ;)

Anyway, i asked in the Basque section at Unilang and was told that the auxiliary forms aren't really any different from the participle forms, the only slight difference being that the auxiliary forms might be a slight bit more formal.

I'm almost finished with lesson 29, later i'll finish up unit 5 in Colloquial Basque and listen to the audio.

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5659 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 72 of 98
16 March 2014 at 6:08am | IP Logged 
汉语
Today i read another 6 pages. I've almost finished my 100 pages for the month. I don't think i'll be able to finish the book by the end of the month, but i should be able to get through most of it. In these later lessons there's a lot of repeated vocabulary that i didn't know and some of them are starting to become more familiar. Most of the new words at this point in the book are chengyu, some i can make out and some i can't. I haven't been worrying about noting down or studying new words, though, as i'm more focused on providing context to the words i've already learned.

I've also got maybe another 20-25 days or so before i finish the HSK 5 list. I've been thinking of taking a short break to let my reviews drop down a bit. They're lower than what they were before when adding 25 new characters a day (300+), now it's generally between 200-250, i'm hoping it'll slowly lower, though. Today wasn't a very good day compared to the past week, i've generally been scoring in the mid 80s (83-87%) but today got 73% right. I wasn't very focused today, though.

Euskara
Today i went through all of unit 6 in Colloquial Basque because i found it pretty interesting. It was all review, but i really like the -ela form for "that" in sentences like "I think THAT you are nice" "Zu jatorra zarela uste dut" (literally: You nice are-that i think).

Oddly enough, the Ikasten lesson today was on another interesting Basque form for a different kind of "that", the "that" in "The car THAT you bought is really ugly." "Erosi duzuen autoa oso itsusia da" (literally: You bought-that the-car really ugly is). It's really similar to how you would say it in Chinese: 你买的汽车很不好看 (you bought-that car is-really ugly). I think i spoke about both these forms earlier when i covered them in Assimil. The one thing i'm not so clear on is when the noun you modify has two cases, for example:
"Idoiak lan egiten duen bulegotik zatozte zuek."
You all are coming from the office Idoia works in.
Here you have "from the office" and "in the office". Bulegotik just means "from the office", so i'm not quite sure how you know that it's the office Idoia works in. I feel like the answer is just "the context".

Also, still waiting for The Basque Language to come in...

This discussion contains 98 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version