nancydowns
United States
Joined 3732 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 97 of 196
07 April 2014 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
Hey Bolio, good to see you again! Yeah, I am still doing the Assimil and FSI Scriptorium. I have absolutely no idea if it is actually worth the time, but I
love doing it. With Assimil, I look at the English sentence and try to think of the correct Spanish sentence. Then I'll look at the Spanish and then write
it. So it is like a review.

I do like Assimil and FSI both. Assimil introduces new grammar, and then FSI drills it in! :-) I am far behind in FSI
scriptorium, but I guess that's okay. I will eventually catch up, and if not, I guess I won't need to. I am going to keep reevaluating to see what is
working and what I need to drop as I go along. I read Crush's log, and I know I am not spending nearly as much time per FSI Unit as he did, (ummm... I
realize I am just assuming Crush is a he. :-) ) So I hope I am not speeding through too quickly. But if I start getting lost, I'll just go back and start
reviewing.

I would like to get caught up with the FSI scriptorium so that it really is like a review just a few units behind. My weekly goal is to do 1
Assimil lesson per day plus 3 FSI lessons per week, and a chapter in my "Mastering Arabic" book. I hope I can keep it up! :-) But I think it is really
brave of you to just jump into literature! I would like to do that, but somehow I feel like I have to learn the grammar... not sure why. :-) But you will
be learning it, too, just more "in the wild" so to speak! Hope you have a good week of studying!

Edited by nancydowns on 08 April 2014 at 11:45am

1 person has voted this message useful

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3732 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 

Message 98 of 196
10 April 2014 at 4:06am | IP Logged 
Tonight, I finally got to see a friend of mine from Panama. It was a very quick conversation, but in Spanish, I told her that I have been learning. She
said that she understood everything I said and that my conjugations were good (of course, they were quite basic!). But I am going to get to see her again
on Sunday evening. It won't be just me, so I can't completely dominate the conversation with Spanish practice, but I should get a little time to practice!
I am SO excited because this is what I have desperately needed. She is a high school Spanish teacher, so she should have some good pointers. YAY!

estoy cansada esta noche, asi que soló he escrito en inglés. pero voy a escribir in español mas tarde esta semana.

I was just so excited about my first possible Spanish conversation coming up! :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4826 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 99 of 196
10 April 2014 at 4:19am | IP Logged 
You're doing great. You'll be speaking Spanish in no time. :)
Any news on the arabic front?

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3732 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 

Message 100 of 196
10 April 2014 at 4:31am | IP Logged 
napoleon wrote:
You're doing great. You'll be speaking Spanish in no time. :)
Any news on the arabic front?

Thanks, Napoleon. I have been working through my book. These past two weeks on this trip, I haven't had a huge amount of time, but I am continuing on
Arabic. I hope in a couple of weeks when things slow down a bit to give some more time to Arabic... I am hoping to get through my book by the first of
August. So then I wonder what happens after that? I have no idea what to go to next. Should I order the second book? I wondered what you will do after
Madinah? Of course, that is still several months away, but I guess I like to think about what's ahead, kind of keeps me going! :-)

1 person has voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5675 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 101 of 196
11 April 2014 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
I agree, you're doing great, just remember to that it's "en" and not "in" ;)

No me sorprende oír que conjugas los verbos muy bien, ya que lo haces muy bien cuando escribes aquí. Si aún no es así, seguro que dentro de nada podrás conjugarlos sin siquiera tener que pensar. Ah, y ¡dinos cómo te va el domingo! ¿A que es increíble pensar que ya puedes conversar en castellano (aunque sea a un nivel muy básico)? Has avanzado mucho :)

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3732 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 

Message 102 of 196
11 April 2014 at 4:38am | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
just remember to that it's "en" and not "in" ;)

Ugh! I can't believe I did that again! Ha!

When I was in school, I'd get marked off for the stupidest mistakes because I'm not patient enough to check the little details.   I could never have been an
accountant! Under personality trait descriptions, "detail oriented" does not describe me! :-)

El lunes, voy a escribir aquí sobre la conversación con mí amiga. Estoy muy alegro y un poco nervioso.

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement! It makes me so happy to be finally making some progress, and I feel like this log and all of your comments have
been an immense help to me! I will admit that this week, before my conversation on Sunday evening, my extra time will go to Spanish, but I'll make up for it
next week with extra time to Arabic!!!

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5675 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 103 of 196
11 April 2014 at 4:14pm | IP Logged 
¡Muy bien! Pero algunas cositas:
Primero, no sé cómo te identificas, pero has utilizado una terminación masculina.
Segundo, la palabra "alegre" no cambia, la forma femenina y masculina es la misma, siempre será "alegre" (en singular).
Tercero, "alegre" tiene más el significado de "cheerful, joyful". En tu frase, yo diría que "estoy muy contenta" (si me identificara como una mujer) o "estoy muy feliz".

¡Que te diviertas!

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4826 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 104 of 196
11 April 2014 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
nancydowns wrote:

I wondered what you will do after
Madinah? Of course, that is still several months away, but I guess I like to think about what's ahead, kind of keeps me going! :-)

Sorry it took me this long to reply. :)

I think I'll do the Madinah Conversation Course (3 DVDs) after I'm done with the 3 Madinah books. Next I'll do FSI MWA and DLI Arabic.
After that, I'll try to read some children's books (Harry Potter, The Little Prince).
Real books and films are still years away I'm afraid. LOL :)

This discussion contains 196 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version