nancydowns
United States
Joined 3737 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 153 of 196
24 May 2014 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
Thanks very much, Iguanamon! Yes, languages are very interesting BECAUSE there isn't a one-to-one translation. It is just interesting for me to note these things
for myself, and also to get the perspective of others who have already learned the language! :-)

I am enjoying learning Wayne Drop this way, and feel it is a good exercise.

I have also been enjoying Lang-8, and I am getting quicker with writing, even if I am still making mistakes. Hopefully in the next few weeks, that will get better!

Right now , I am really enjoying my studies! Glad for everyone's help!
1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5077 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 154 of 196
24 May 2014 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
Coleman Hawkins wrote:
Si no cometes errores, es que realmente no lo estás intentando.
If you don’t make mistakes, you aren’t really trying.

Coleman Hawkins wasn't a language enthusiast but he did speak the language of the saxophone Body and Soul.

Keep up the good work, Nancy :)

Edited by iguanamon on 24 May 2014 at 4:40pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3737 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 

Message 155 of 196
25 May 2014 at 12:13am | IP Logged 
Thanks for that! :-)

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5680 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 156 of 196
26 May 2014 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
Hey Nancy, i just came across one of your corrections on Lang-8 yesterday when going to correct someone's entry who had just corrected one of my Spanish entries :)

To help out a bit with "salir", you can also think of it as "to turn out" (similar to "resultar"). No me salió muy bien = It (what i did) didn't turn out very well. Salió lastimado = he ended up getting hurt (ie. by the time it was over, he'd gotten injured). You can sorta see the relationship between "to come/go out" and "to turn out".

As for "salir bien" and the pictures, people will talk about "saliendo bien" en una foto, por ejemplo. Si sales bien en una foto es que te ven muy guapa en esa foto.

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3737 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 

Message 157 of 196
26 May 2014 at 5:56am | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
Hey Nancy, i just came across one of your corrections on Lang-8 yesterday when going to correct someone's entry who had just corrected one of my Spanish
entries :)

Hey Crush, it's so good to see you! Yes, I just saw your correction. That was one of those journal entries that after I had started to correct it, I wish I hadn't.
I can get myself into trouble not reading the whole thing before I start correcting! Then I thought about scraping my corrections, but decided to finish. I just
looked back through that correction I made and saw things I missed. Too bad! But good thing you came along and caught them! :-) Sometimes I do correcting late at
night, and that's not so good because I'm tired then.

Crush wrote:
To help out a bit with "salir"...

That does help out a lot, thanks! Makes sense. Thanks for all your help! It's very appreciated.

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3737 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 

Message 158 of 196
27 May 2014 at 3:42am | IP Logged 
I'm going to do a quick weekly update today.

SPANISH

Assimil: First Wave Lesson 55
FSI: Unit 33
Lang-8   11/100 A link to my journal entries is Here
Wayne Drop Page 3/12
Pimsleur III: Unit 27
Coffee Break Spanish: Lesson 42
Notes in Spanish: Lesson 9
Destinos: episode 37

ARABIC

Mastering Arabic: Chapter 9

So I am still doing my slow review of chapters 1-8 of Mastering Arabic. I do feel like things are sticking a bit better this time, and I have learned to
supplement with some other sites to flesh out the grammar.

I am hoping to finish up Lesson 33 of FSI today. I am loving FSI! I feel like things are beginning to click! But then if you read my latest Lang-8
post HERE, you'll see that I still make lots of mistakes, and this
time I totally messed up on porque and por qué, which I know, but I just didn´t get it right when I was typing it in! I still can't seem to remember to
make adjectives feminine when talking about myself, and I forgot sometimes to use the 3rd person plural verb, rather than 3rd person singular, but
hopefully with practice I'll get better. I have been trying to use things that I messed up on in previous journals in my new journals so that I get a
feeling for how to use them correctly. I also finished up page 2 of Wayne Drop and am started on page 3. Everything is coming together nicely, if I can
just keep up the momentum for the next 2 months. I think I can finish FSI by then. Then I am anxious to start reading some books! Reading Wayne Drop
makes me want to read other things. I found the Spanish version of Eragon today, and the library here has a Spanish Audio version.   They also have
Eldest, so we'll see if I like Eragon well enough to continue with the next. I have never read those books, but I have always wanted to, so I'll try it
in Spanish. That will be later, maybe after some easier books first.

¡Gracias a todos por ayudarme! Estoy agradecido por este sitio y la gente aquí que me ayudan.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5680 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 159 of 196
27 May 2014 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
nancydowns wrote:
I still can't seem to remember to make adjectives feminine when talking about myself [...]

nancydowns wrote:
Estoy agradecido por este sitio y la gente aquí que me ayudan.

Hehe :P

I listened to the Eragon audiobook several years ago and it was one of the first audiobooks i listened to without using a book, i think it was even before i went to Spain (but after i finished Platiquemos). It sounds like a good choice to me, it's not loaded down with boring descriptions of things and has a good quick pace. I think i listened to the first two books, i don't know if there was an audiobook for the last book (or at least it was the last book at the time, i think one last book was published) back then.

EDIT: Btw, your last lang-8 entry is great!

Edited by Crush on 27 May 2014 at 6:08pm

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3737 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 

Message 160 of 196
28 May 2014 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:

Hehe :P

Crush!!! You are absolutely hilarious! Why did you have to notice that? ;-) It seems like that is the mistake that is sticking with me through every level,
remembering to use the feminine form when talking about myself!!! I should write 100 times about using the feminine form, maybe I would remember then. :-)

Crush wrote:

EDIT: Btw, your last lang-8 entry is great!

Oh, how sweet! Seeing that I had mistakes in close to every single sentence!!! And coming from you, I take it as a compliment! I have read some of your
past entries, and they are poetry! You write beautifully in every language you know.

I went back and read some of your first log, too, and the way you spoke about German and Germany with such passion. I wonder if you've ever been able to go
there? And I definitely feel in awe of your ability to stay focused, even when you were "without any indoor place to live" and without electricity. Wow! You
definitely had some fortitude just to get through all of that, and then to learn several languages at the same time. That's amazing! :-)

Thanks for your encouragement and help to me!

Edited by nancydowns on 28 May 2014 at 4:48pm

This discussion contains 196 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version