United States
Joined 3732 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 169 of 196
31 May 2014 at 6:26pm | IP Logged 
Zireael wrote:

Yeah, this is right, what book is it? I could use it for some light reading...

Well, I haven't been able to figure out a title. Did you look at the picture I posted of the cover with the tiger standing beside the car looking up?
That is the front cover of the book. I can't tell that there is a title. However, this is published by rabie children's books. They have a website
www.rabie-pub.com, and I have looked there for this book. I didn't see it, but they have lots of books you can buy. I didn't try buying them, so I have
no idea how much they cost. It is a cute book, though, and I should learn lots of new words in it. Each right-hand page has 12-15 words. Then the Left-hand
pages have 5 words as you turn the dial plus five words at the bottom. There will obviously be some duplication, but if I just cut it by 1/3 and say
approximately 15 uniquely new words (I think there will be more than that) per two pages, that will give me approximately 150 new words. I will keep track
of all the words I learn from this book. Plus, it is giving me more reading practice. So I do think it's worth the time right now.
1 person has voted this message useful

BOLIO
United States
Joined 4468 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 170 of 196
02 June 2014 at 3:02pm | IP Logged 
Nancy, nice finds at the bookstore! Enjoy your trip...even if it is for work. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3732 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 

Message 171 of 196
02 June 2014 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
BOLIO wrote:
Nancy, nice finds at the bookstore! Enjoy your trip...even if it is for work. :)

Thank you!!! I'm busy getting ready right now. Gotta get all my ducks in a row, since I have to get them all in a carry-on bag! :-)

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3732 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 

Message 172 of 196
09 June 2014 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
Hi! I am on the road with minimal communication devices, but had a chance to sit down at a computer today, so wanted to make a quick update.

SPANISH

Assimil: First Wave Lesson 55
FSI: Unit 39
Lang-8   15/100 A link to my journal entries is Here
Wayne Drop Page 5/12
Pimsleur III: Unit 27
Coffee Break Spanish: Lesson 42
Notes in Spanish: Lesson 9
Destinos: episode 37

ARABIC

Mastering Arabic: Chapter 11

I am on track to finish FSI during this trip, if all goes well. I should have a few hours a day to work on languages.. hopefuly! So I hope that by the middle of July, or at least by end of July to be finished with FSI. At that point, I will decide about the list of things that I have here but haven't been updating at all. I have only been working on FSI, Lang-8, Wayne Drop, and Mastering Arabic.

I had a nice encounter last week. I went to an Arabic market and met a very nice Iraqi family. They have been so sweet and helpful! I hope to go see them more when I get back there.

Best to all!

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4826 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 173 of 196
10 June 2014 at 12:07am | IP Logged 
You're kidding right? :)
You're going to finish the FSI Spanish Basic Course by July?
Really?

That is no mean feat! *Doffs hat*

Congratulations! :)

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3732 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 

Message 174 of 196
10 June 2014 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
napoleon wrote:
You're kidding right? :)
You're going to finish the FSI Spanish Basic Course by July?
Really?

Ummmm...... Maybe these lessons coming up will slow me down, not sure... but if I can keep up with the pace I've had, I should be able to...??? Does that sound ridiculous?

Edited by nancydowns on 10 June 2014 at 12:46am

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4826 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 175 of 196
10 June 2014 at 1:03am | IP Logged 
No, it doesn't sound ridiculous at all. I'm sure you'll be able to do it.
And I'm very happy for you. :)
Atleast one of us is close to finishing FSI. (I've been trying to finsish the french one for ages.) :)

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3732 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 

Message 176 of 196
10 June 2014 at 1:44am | IP Logged 
Okay... but I will definitely reassess as the time goes on. I don't want to just blast through and not learn it.

Well, you are doing lots of other things with French that I'm not doing with Spanish like reading books and watching films, so we are just allocating our time to different things. : ) I am so anxious to start reading books in Spanish, that's one of the reasons I am trying to push to get finished with FSI.

This discussion contains 196 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version