Poland
Joined 4465 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 65 of 196
27 March 2014 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
I think sayyara is spelled fine.
When I handwrite dal (as in hada, hadehi), I tilt it more so that it won't get confused with lam :) And I'd make the circle in mim smaller, as it's easy to confuse with fa or qa.

2 persons have voted this message useful

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3736 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 66 of 196
27 March 2014 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
napoleon wrote:

I may be wrong but I noticed a couple of things:
Your first sentence reads miftah (key) and not kalb (dog).

Oops! That was me not paying attention! It was supposed to be key, not dog.

Funny thing is that in my book, they have nothing over the ta marbuta in sayyara (car). So I'm not sure about that. and yes, there should have been a ta marbuta at
the end of jamil (beautiful) when describing the car, just as there was at the end of jadid (new). Right now, these still don't look like words to me, so I am having
a hard time noticing the details of what is done correctly or incorrectly. You did very well in picking up the small details!

Thanks for looking! :-)

Edited by nancydowns on 27 March 2014 at 8:48pm

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3736 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 

Message 67 of 196
27 March 2014 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
Zireael wrote:
When I handwrite dal (as in hada, hadehi), I tilt it more so that it won't get confused with lam :) And I'd make the circle in mim smaller, as it's easy to
confuse with fa or qa.

Thanks.   Yeah, I think I do need to tilt the dal more. The mim is the hardest for me to know what to do. I write it like Maha taught in her videos where it
is sort of below the line, for the reason you stated above. but in my book, they write the mim high above the other letters, quite confusing! and in some
words where there are two mims in a row, they just make it darker and only write one like for nurse mumarridda. So I just have chosen to do the mim like Maha
taught with it below the line.

Thanks for your help!

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4830 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 68 of 196
27 March 2014 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
Quote:

It is spelled fine. But I still think that the ta marbuta should take a damma.
If you don't write the vowel signs, it does not matter. But we have to be careful if we're writing them out.
In an idafa construction, generally used for indicating posession in Arabic, we have a dammah (pronounced u) at the end of the item being possessed. The possesor gets a kasra (pronounced i) at the end.
For example:
A book = kitabun (un is the tanween, indicated by two dammahs)
Muhammadun=Muhammad
Now, to say Muhammad's book, we say:
Kitabu Muhammadin
Here's some more info from madinaharabic.com

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4830 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 

Message 69 of 196
27 March 2014 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
nancydowns wrote:
Thanks for looking! :-)

Glad I could help. :-)

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3736 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 

Message 70 of 196
27 March 2014 at 10:13pm | IP Logged 
napoleon wrote:
Quote:

It is spelled fine. But I still think that the ta marbuta should take a damma.
If you don't write the vowel signs, it does not matter. But we have to be careful if we're writing them out.
In an idafa construction, generally used for indicating posession in Arabic, we have a dammah (pronounced u) at the end of the item being possessed.
The possesor gets a kasra (pronounced i) at the end.
For example:
A book = kitabun (un is the tanween, indicated by two dammahs)
Muhammadun=Muhammad
Now, to say Muhammad's book, we say:
Kitabu Muhammadin
Here's some more info from madinaharabic.com

You know, I am kind of sorry about my book right now because they covered the Idafa, but do not show any vowel markings with it. This book, unfortuantely, is not
fully voweled! So I never know what vowels should be there. I just went back over the Idafa and also the nominative case, and I realize that all of the nouns in
these sentences should have a damma over the ending. Okay, so each noun should have a damma.   If it is indefinite, it is a tanwin, but because it's definite, it's
only a damma... Is that correct?

If you think it's right, I will edit my post to specify that above the picture.

Edited by nancydowns on 27 March 2014 at 10:18pm

1 person has voted this message useful

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4830 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 

Message 71 of 196
27 March 2014 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
The mudaf(the article being possessed) is definite because of its function. When we say "the teacher's pen" (qalamu al-mudarrisi, pronouced qalamulmudarrisi), we are talking about a particular pen and not about pens in general.
The mudaf never takes an al, but is always considered definite.
Weird, I know! But it kinda makes sense when you think about it. :-)

nancydowns wrote:
I just went back over the Idafa and also the nominative case, and I realize that all of the nouns in
these sentences should have a damma over the ending. Okay, so each noun should have a damma.   If it is indefinite, it is a tanwin, but because it's definite, it's
only a damma... Is that correct?

I honestly do not know.
You have used some grammar (like pronoun-suffixes) that I have not studied yet. I don't know how those pronouns affect the rest of the sentence.
And I don't want to misguide you. :-)

Suffice to say, this holds true for simple nominal sentences like.
The boy is beautiful. (Al waladu jameelun)
The room is big. (Al ghurfatu kabiratun)

Update:
Oops! I wrote teacher in the example but what I really meant was pen. It's okay now.

Edited by napoleon on 28 March 2014 at 6:00am

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3736 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 

Message 72 of 196
28 March 2014 at 2:40am | IP Logged 
I worked on this nearly all day! :-) If I had just read Napoleon's post more closely the first time, I would have saved myself a lot of time! But
I guess I needed to sort it all out for myself so that it would stick! So what I have finally decided... but I can be convinced I am wrong! :-)
is that the sentences where it said "this is x's x." X is in the nominative and is definite and needs a damma (so Napoleon was correct about sayyara
needing a damma). In my sentences, x's was a person's name, but if I had said "this is the dog's house", x's (dog's) is in the genitive case, and it
would have taken a kasrah.

This is very strict standard Arabic. Everywhere I read said that these are unmarked except in the Koran or children's books. But like Napoleon said,
if we are using the vowels, might as well be strict. The book I am using, however, is not strict with its vocalization. They sometimes put some vowels
and most of the time put none. So I am going to have to supplement with outside sources like this Wikipedia page. Now we all know that Wikipedia is
not necessairly to be trusted, so I hope I can trust this info. It was very easy to read, though. Whoever wrote it did an excellent job.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27rab

This discussion contains 196 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version