nancydowns
United States
Joined 3737 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 161 of 196
30 May 2014 at 1:04am | IP Logged 
I am kind of excited about a used bookstore shopping trip today. This bookstore is HUGE! If there was ever a used bookstore that seems like
SAMS club, this is it. They have so many books, movies, and music going through there every day. They have their own system set up for how they
take in books with a counter full of staff dedicated to taking in things. So I love to check out their foreign language section every chance I
get. Usually I don't find much. Today, I came out with a sackful of books!!!

Here's my list of books that I got. I could have gotten more, but I decided to leave some for the next person! :-)
Barron's 501 Spanish Verbs (See note below)
El Arte de la Palabra. -- Enrique Lihn
Día sin mancha -- Sol Ceh Moo (Part of this is written in Yucatec Maya and part in Spanish)
¡Viva el toro! (these three books are novelas breve y fácil totalmente en español)
Patricia va a California
Casi se muere
Vidas -- Biographies of famous people of Spain
Alif Baa
And an Arabic children's board book. Once I figure out what it is called, I'll update about it. This is where I am so impressed with Bakunin
figuring out those Turkish children's books!!! We'll see what I can do with this one. It is a turn and learn book where it has a wheel you turn
to reveal letters and a cricket with a bunch of words... Not sure what any of it means yet! I'll report back later. :-)

So I bought that 501 Spanish verbs book, not because I intend to try to memorize them, but there have been enough times that I need to figure out
the conjugation to a verb, and I don't have internet access. So I decided to have this as backup.

Once I am done with Wayne Drop, I think I will start on the three little books. The English part says that they are the easiest series of Spanish
novels in existence for 1st and 2nd year students. The worst part is that someone wrote in most of them and some of the other books I got. They
underlined, highlighted, and wrote translations! I will try to simply ignore those.

Edited to add: Oh yeah, I did get a couple of non-language related books. I got one out of the free bin. A Time Magazine special "Your Brain: A User's
Guide." I thought it might be useful to have a user's guide to this brain, so I picked it up! :-)

Edited by nancydowns on 30 May 2014 at 1:08am

1 person has voted this message useful

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3737 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 

Message 162 of 196
30 May 2014 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 

[/IMG]

Here is a picture of the cover of my Arabic children's book. The two holes in the upper right (outlined in purple with yellow arrows) follow through
the whole book. There is a wheel on the left-hand side that you turn to change what is in the holes. Sometimes it is the cricket with the words
below him (I have a better picture of this I will put in another post) or a letter.

I think the words in the far upper right, to the right of the holes is something like "turn and discover" in English, we would probably say "Turn and
learn" since it rhymes.

If anyone has any opinions about this and what any of it means, I'd be glad to hear! I can't figure out what the two columns of letters on the left
side mean. If any of the pictures aren't clear enough to read, I can retake them.

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3737 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 

Message 163 of 196
30 May 2014 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 

This is the first page, right-hand side. All of the right-hand pages have something similar, a scene and then some sentences underneath.

Here is a close-up of the writing underneath the bear. I have used an online dictionary to figure out that the first few words say something like "Brown bear going on
vacation," I should use google images to see if I can figure it out without translation. I am definitely not able to figure out the words without some help, though!

Edit: I'm sorry about the reflection and the poor quality. I'm kind of new to forum posting, and this is the first time I've posted pictures on the forum... and I don't
know what to do to get rid of that little icon in front of the picture... I tried deleting part of the code, but it deleted the whole picture... :-)

Edited by nancydowns on 30 May 2014 at 7:34pm

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3737 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 

Message 164 of 196
30 May 2014 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
Okay, I figured out the translation of the first page. I mean, I think I figured out... :-)

A brown bear going on vacation says: I think I brought a lot of equipment.

I hope this is right.

Edited by nancydowns on 30 May 2014 at 9:23pm

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4831 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 165 of 196
31 May 2014 at 10:08am | IP Logged 
Hey nancy. The book sure looks interesting.
I've my last exam on Monday. After that, I'll start Arabic again.
2 persons have voted this message useful

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3737 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 

Message 166 of 196
31 May 2014 at 5:38pm | IP Logged 
napoleon wrote:
Hey nancy. The book sure looks interesting.
I've my last exam on Monday. After that, I'll start Arabic again.

Yeah, there are some things about the book I don't understand. I may try to post the other pictures later today to show what I mean. And see if
anyone else knows what is going on. I am about to go on a month-long trip for work, and I'll be flying this time, so I'm not sure how many books I'm
going to be able to take with me!!! Good thing my FSI Spanish is on the computer. I need to take my Mastering Arabic book, and maybe I will take
this children's book, too, we'll see.

Good luck on your exams!

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4466 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 167 of 196
31 May 2014 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
nancydowns wrote:
Okay, I figured out the translation of the first page. I mean, I think I figured out... :-)

A brown bear going on vacation says: I think I brought a lot of equipment.

I hope this is right.

Yeah, this is right, what book is it? I could use it for some light reading...

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3737 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 

Message 168 of 196
31 May 2014 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 

This is a closeup of what it says under the cricket when you turn the wheel. The only translation I have been able to come up with
is the role of time... other.

This a closeup of the holes in the book from the front cover. I think it says "Written word" on the top with the arrow pointed to the left and "Spelling"
on the bottom. I have no idea what it means! As you turn the wheel, you get either the cricket with the words under him like in the first picture, or you
get letters...

Ha! I think I just figured it out. On each page beside the circle is a letter/letters. So when you turn the wheel, you change the first letter of the word.
So on the first page is a bab. You turn the wheel, and the words you get are (this is according to Google Translate) Bear, love, knapp? (it's a noon and a bab),
and then there is a qaff and bab, and August. I'm not sure what those two mean. the qaff and bab in google images give you some interesting pictures, including
some with kids who have their finger up their nose... ?? Ha, ha!

Then underneath that is a spiral notebook picture with other words that contain a certain letter. The first page has dal. So there are 5 words with dal. I may
have to give up on this book because I am getting ready for a trip, but maybe I can work on it a bit each day, just translate a few words, anyway. It's kind of
fun! Thanks for the idea, Bakunin! ;-)

Edited by nancydowns on 31 May 2014 at 6:18pm

This discussion contains 196 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version