Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3846 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 73 of 177
07 February 2015 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
While waiting 6pm to start my next Spanish tutoring, I scheduled 3 lessons for next week.
This time I scheduled two lessons with 2 latin american speakers: one from Venezuela and another one from
Mexico, to see if I can communicate effectively also with them. The third lesson is with the teacher that destroyed
me yesterday. She's a professional teacher, she saw that I'm able to fake an higher level by taking control of the
conversation and she pushed me totally out of my comfort zone. I definitely need someone like this, even if she's
not the most agreeable teacher I ever met.

I'm curious to see, Monday, if my Spanish annihilation is impacting my French.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3846 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 74 of 177
09 February 2015 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
After some week, finally the level of the French course increased.
Today we did a listening comprehension that was crazy. It was everything that makes the comprehension very
difficult:
- terrible sound
- unclear speech
- a speaker that was using absurd constructions to show off
- there was a question in the exercise that sounds more or less like "enumerate the names of all the French people
in decreasing order".

Meh.

Either the difficulty of the course increased or I getting worse.
3 persons have voted this message useful

s.mann
Groupie
United States
lang-8.com/973514/jo
Joined 3437 days ago

55 posts - 76 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 75 of 177
09 February 2015 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
The listening comprehension exercise sounds good. It's funny, I tend to try to clean up audio, like
the FSI stuff, but there might be a benefit to putting up with the hiss to practice straining for the
vocals. The GLOSS exercises I tried had bad recordings, but now I'm wondering if that wasn't
intentional.

What's working better for you, the conversation class or the tutoring? I think I should invest in one or
both in the near future myself.
1 person has voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3846 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 76 of 177
10 February 2015 at 1:30pm | IP Logged 
I'm attending not a conversation class but a standard class.
I'm starting to find it boring because now we're not anymore focusing on the vocabulary
needed to read or to speak in the normal situations, but specific vocabulary that I can
totally express in simpler ways when communicating but it is supposed to be learned at
advanced stages.

Thing that I disagree. To me is much more important to know computer-related vocabulary
than health-related ones (for example).

Cannot say for the tutoring, I just started.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6396 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 77 of 177
10 February 2015 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
Yeah here's a thread about suboptimal audio. (I hope I'm not repeating myself, it's related to accelerated audio as well) To me it sounds like the audio was too difficult, unless you've already worked with many unclear but simple recordings, and many clear recordings with a difficult accent etc.

@tristano, loro sembrano pensare che il vocabolario profissionale sia tua propria responsabilità...

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3846 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 78 of 177
12 February 2015 at 9:40am | IP Logged 
Si' @Serpent. e questa in generale e' la cosa che meno mi piace delle lezioni in classe:
il contenuto non e' personalizzato, e quindi poco rilevante per me. In questo il tutoring
e' molto meglio.

So yesterday I had my first case of bad tutoring. I was very tired (9pm and I'm a little
ill) so I had hard time concentrating and speak properly with the result of this lesson
becoming mostly a listening comprehension. At the classes although sometimes I'm tired
and bored and my mind is on a different planet, that it's even worse.

Edited by tristano on 12 February 2015 at 3:02pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3846 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 79 of 177
13 February 2015 at 2:37pm | IP Logged 
My lesson of yesterday has been much much better then the other one.
Conversing with Latin American people is as easy as it is with Spanish people. I have
the impression my tutors, noticing that I'm speaking the European variant, they
accomodate this in the choice of words and some of the constructions (the girl of
yesterday used the 'tu' form instead of the 'usted' for example. I speak Spanish quite
quick now but sometimes I have some black hole where I don't know the conjugation or
the word to use. I'm not worried about this, it is perfectly normal. Yet my tutors are
amazed when I told them that I just listened the radio a couple of months before to
start to speak.
I've been classified as B1, yet I have huge vocabulary and grammar gaps for what is
about the basics. My suspect is that by studying the basic grammar and reading novels,
yet taking a lesson per week starting from March, I will be B2 in few months.

This experience has been so good until now, that I think I will use the month of March
to annihilate Dutch.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6396 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 80 of 177
13 February 2015 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
Have I mentioned the series Destinos yet? It was made for learners so the actors don't speak too fast, and it builds up using comprehensible input. I found that a great way to slow down and actually pay attention to every word. I watched with closed captions and found it really useful for noticing all the details.

This discussion contains 177 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version