Message 113 of 177
04 April 2015 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
Hey!I write from Cordoba.
I can see that I am most realistically A2 in this
language. During the tutoring I mostly talked about
topics that I know very well so I think that my
skills have been overrated.

@Jeffers, no plans. I am with an Italian friend so
no immersion. But I am doing everything in Spanish.

@1e4e6: I don't smoke, don't drink and don't own a
car. No family, no pets, no debts.
3 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5275 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 114 of 177
04 April 2015 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
Home of La Mezquita.... I'm envious, but happy for you. Have fun tristiano!
2 persons have voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3846 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 115 of 177
05 April 2015 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
Thanks Peter, la Mezquita is wonderful, and the city itself is. Unluckily today is the last day :(
1 person has voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3846 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 116 of 177
06 April 2015 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 
I'm back!
This vacation helped me to relax and clarify things in different areas of my life.
I now can recognize that I had a minor burn out before the vacation (and a previous thread of mine "I reached a
limit" proves it).

So, am I done with adding new languages? No! Do I need to put all my languages to C1? Also not. For a reason: it
requires a lot of time and exposure, and unless I need that language for work I don't need it. So I actually need it
only for two of them (that are of course the ones I like the less, English and Dutch). When I will really need to boost
my French and Spanish I will do it, in the meanwhile I can already enjoy a lot out of those two languages and this
alone will bring me further (I expect to become B2 quite easily in a year or two just watching videos and reading nice
stuff like I did with English).

So, what is happening now?

Well.

I can add another easy language (Portuguese) that I can learn by reading and listening only. I can convince my
girlfriend to have a trip in Portugal together (I'm quite sure that she's fine with me learning other languages as long
as I improve my Dutch :D).

But then I need to start a difficult one! And suddenly I'm incredibly full of choice.
I want to try Emanuele Marini's method (to fail and confirm that he's the only one who can use it). This time I don't
need to learn to speak it or to watch videos. So what I need is a very good quality grammar (Emanuele Marini's
method is to study all the grammar first, then adding vocabulary, then have a trip and learn to speak it in place. The
latter I guess it's impossible so I will trade it with skype tutoring or to not to speak it at all). Seems very cool the idea
to blog and/or chat with native people of such language.

But then again, what? Icelandic and Irish look awesome. Basque too. Greenlandic can be very nice if I hate my life.
German absolutely not: the capitalization kills my eyes and I find all the finals in -ung very ugly (sorry). Should I take
Russian? Polish? Or maybe Croatian (Croatia is a cool place to go to vacation). Or for once choosing a agglutinative
language? The Hungarian girls are beautiful, but I'm already taken at this point... Estonian? Finnish? Or Turkish. Or
screw these languages with those easy scripts, Arabic! Georgian! No, Georgian is better leave it where it is right now.
Like Lithuanian. Urdu seems cool as well.

Uff.

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3846 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 117 of 177
06 April 2015 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
Oh, about my Spanish skills,
   I changed my mind. B1 makes sense, for the reason that even if I have a short vocabulary and I don't know the
irregular verbs, I can cover all the aspects of my life in Spain in Spanish and learn new vocabulary just hearing or
reading it in contest so I'm in the phase where I can learn the language from the language.

Edited by tristano on 06 April 2015 at 5:25pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4808 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 118 of 177
06 April 2015 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
In the light of the quite recent metaphor languages-relationships, this quote of yours
got me: "(I'm quite sure that she's fine with me learning other languages as long
as I improve my Dutch :D). :-D

Great to hear of your trip and your plans. Thanks for making me laugh, for exemple by
your views concerning German :-)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6396 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 119 of 177
06 April 2015 at 11:35pm | IP Logged 
Um, I've not read about Marini's method but that's almost how I learned Finnish, although I didn't deliberately avoid vocabulary, and even when I definitely knew all the grammar I needed, I kept visiting the library and looking for more obscure grammar to practise :D I also did shadowing to activate my written skills, but I feel like my speaking has improved far more just by using and wanting to sound cool and colloquial etc.

And my name is Marina, maybe that helps? Haha. But really, it seems like a nice method to me if you enjoy grammar study. I basically still do the same more naturally, with passive grammar -> passive vocab -> active grammar -> active vocab

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3846 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 120 of 177
07 April 2015 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
Uhm, today I seem to be indecise between Russian and Arabic.
It's a start.

This discussion contains 177 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version