177 messages over 23 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19 ... 22 23 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6396 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 145 of 177
28 May 2015 at 7:48pm | IP Logged 
tristano wrote:
The time used for this task I recover it during the lunch break (that is now half an hour an not an hour anymore).

Sorry but I have to point out, this structure is very Romance ;D I actually used to hate it in Spanish until I noticed it in Italian :D
As a Russian I wouldn't feel strange about just omitting "it" but I think native speakers are more likely to use the passive or just change the structure completely.
And tbh I'm still not sure how you get it back or when you lose it.
1 person has voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3846 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 146 of 177
29 May 2015 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
lol

Ok I'll try to write the same thing in a different way

- I will recover the time that I used for this task during the lunch break (that I now reduced from one hour to half an hour)

I hope is better :D

--

Due to Serpent's Swedish post in Facebook, I started fantasize again about me studying Swedish. I'm not gonna do it, but still I made some calculation and I found out that 15 minutes a day during the working days it means that I can study 65 hours in one year. I'm curious about how much of Swedish is possible to learn in this modest amount.
Now, according to this website http://ikindalikelanguages.com/blog/how-much-time-is-it-real istic-to-learn-a-language-in/ I would reach A1. Considering however I'm not a total beginner in languages and at the time I will go for it I will know already two Germanic languages, I think I can reach A2.

But, that's it. I have to learn Dutch before.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6396 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 147 of 177
29 May 2015 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
Oh I don't mean just the grammar. Has something changed at work? Are you required to have a shorter lunch break?
Maybe I'm just jealous :P My dad has said for years: "if you're always late, why don't you come half an hour early and learn Finnish?" later changed to Portuguese... Italian... Spanish... Polish... Dutch... Swedish... :D Soon it'll be 10 years since I started Finnish and nothing has changed in terms of always being late :D
2 persons have voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3846 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 148 of 177
29 May 2015 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
Hahaha fantastic :D
No, I can either spend half an hour more a day or
reduce my idle time of half an hour, and I chose
the second option.
But it is a fantastic idea to swap that time with
another language as soon as I finished with dutch
:)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6396 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 149 of 177
29 May 2015 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
So basically nowadays you've shortened your lunch break to leave work earlier, and you study for a half an hour before work to make up for the learning you used to do during the longer lunch break? :)

Being in the country, you'll never feel like you're completely done with Dutch. Set some criteria in advance :)

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3846 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 150 of 177
01 June 2015 at 11:20am | IP Logged 
Precisely :)

Well, my criteria are:
- being able to speak to my girlfriend in Dutch without using any English
- being able to pass a work interview in Dutch and being hired from a Dutch company.

Then everything will improve day by day, like my Engilsh: if I look at yesterday I see no
improvements, but if I look at one year ago I can see many.

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3846 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 151 of 177
09 June 2015 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
I can't help it.
Every time I commit myself to stick to study Dutch only I'm threatened by situations like
- I hear Swedish in the street
- I have two Romanian bosses that I would like to impress
- I have a Greek colleague that wants to improve his Italian and offers me to teach me
some Greek
- Duolingo goes out with two/three new courses

help
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6396 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 152 of 177
09 June 2015 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
I'll say it again. Like kujichagulia, you'll also benefit from learning other languages alongside the one you need but don't like much (even if you're starting to like it more now, never forget your starting point).

But everyone's situation is different. Dutch is not Japanese, and where kuji needs to feel the progress and be reminded that his work on Japanese is not in vain, you may need to feel the fun and be reminded that one day Dutch will be more fun too :D

Basically, if you prevent yourself from wanderlusting, you may find yourself sliding back to square one with your Dutch. Not in terms of the level but the motivation. The main issue is of course finding the balance, and there I can recommend the logs of those like Cavesa, tarvos, even Via Diva though she'll probably protest ;D

Also, remember that for impressing people you most of all need to work on your pronunciation. Maybe also grammatical accuracy. Wanderlust has to be fun, otherwise there's no point in it. It's fun to imagine yourself chatting with these people, but will the process of getting there be fun? Be realistic about what it will take. Are these languages just fun as the forbidden fruit, would they still be appealing if you didn't need to learn Dutch?

As for Duolingo, it's not like you've done all the courses they offer? Why does it matter that they brought out new ones? :)

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 177 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version