Groupie
Australia
Joined 3550 days ago

84 posts - 122 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto, French

Message 9 of 58
19 December 2014 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
Ah! Je comprends! I too am in a similar situation; I'm in between school and university (although I only have until
March to spend a lot of time on languages). Hopefully by the time uni starts I'll be alright at French such that I can
utilize it, even if only in a simple way.

We may not be on the same French team (due to difference in our abilities) but if we are then it'll be a pleasure!
1 person has voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4432 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 10 of 58
19 December 2014 at 1:29am | IP Logged 
I hope all goes well with you. I'm sure you'll get to that point.

I agree. I'll make sure to check out your log once in awhile anyway.

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4432 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 11 of 58
19 December 2014 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
I'll take this time to write a quick little update on where I currently stand.

French:

Nothing at the moment. When I get back around to it, I imagine I'll watch a few movies or start reading La possibilite d'une ile or even start the Codex Alera series.

I've been thinking about also going through some more cooking and bricolage type books, but I'm not sure. I'm not usually a big fan of that stuff.

Spanish:

Same as French. Once I get back around to it, I'll finish the last 4 seasons of Aqui no hay quien viva and the last 6 of La que se avecina. I also finished season 1 of El Internado which is surprisingly decent.

My next book will probably be Los Detectives Salvajes by Roberto Bolano or The Kingkiller Chronicle series by Patrick Rothfuss.

Italian:

Going through Amnesia by Jean-Christophe Grange. The ebook I have doesn't display chapter numbers, but I'm about 1/6th of the way through so far. It's not bad, but I liked his other books better so far such as Kaiken and Miserere. I'm going to start diving into films probably after I finish this book to get some higher level vocab.

German:

Nothing for the moment. After I get done reading the 5th Harry Potter book in Portuguese, I'll read the last two in German then we'll see from there. As far as learning materials are concerned, I'm too advanced for them but not advanced enough to get through a Harry Potter without a dictionary. German is a special case for me so I need to devote most of my attention when studying it.

Portuguese:

Just going through Le nouveau portugais sans peine to get an idea of the pronunciation and grammar. I don't plan on going in depth with this course or else I would've went for the Spanish version. After I finish, I'm going to read Harry Potter. After that, I'm thinking I could probably hop right into BR/PL movies with TL subs.

Edited by sillygoose1 on 21 December 2014 at 10:25pm

liam.pike1
Groupie
Australia
Joined 3550 days ago

84 posts - 122 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto, French

Message 12 of 58
20 December 2014 at 12:16am | IP Logged 
Oh, I didn't realise just how good you are at most of those languages already! Well you'll be fine then haha...

I'll also check out your log every now and then, regardless of whether we're in the same team or not :)

Merry Christmas
3 persons have voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4432 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 13 of 58
22 December 2014 at 1:01am | IP Logged 
French:

Nothing so far

Spanish:

I've been really into a Mexican telenovela called Mi Corazon Es Tuyo. It's an adaption of a Spanish series by the name of Ana y los siete. I started it late, but from what I gather it's about a family and the various happenings during their lives. If you know Mexican telenovelas, you know how dramatic they can get. And silly. But still, it's great helping me understand more Mexican accents and ways of speech. I always thought that the Mexican accent would be easier to get, but sometimes some words buzz right by me. I guess I shouldn't assume that it's easy to understand when I've only immersed myself in Spanish and Argentine material so far.

Italian:

Read about 50 more pages of Amnesia or, known in French as Le passager by Jean Christophe Grange. I really like the repetition that I'm encountering in each chapter as well as the quantity of unknown words. This is one of the reasons why I think police and crime novels are the best for learning languages - you get such a wide array of vocab.

German:

Harry potter is beginning to come more naturally to my head. Meaning, I don't have to look up every other word (all of the time) and even when encountering unknown words, it doesn't necessarily hinder me or I can guess the meaning from context. I haven't even attempted listening exercises yet, nor do I intend to for awhile. I don't think my brain is ready for that yet.

Portuguese:

Lesson 23 of Assimil. I wanted to save the next HP book for Portuguese, but i didn't want to not do anything in German in the meantime. I suppose I'll have to find a different book for the time being for when I finish Assimil. Besides a few different words, it just reminds me of a Spanish dialect. In hindsight I should've chosen the Brazilian version, but whatever. It'll all work itself out eventually.

agta
Diglot
Groupie
Poland
Joined 5320 days ago

43 posts - 53 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: German, Italian

Message 14 of 58
26 December 2014 at 6:12pm | IP Logged 
Good luck with your TAC! You're very ambitious!

Next year I'll be reading your posts about German.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4329 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 15 of 58
31 December 2014 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
I'm impressed that you are reading HP without a dictionary. I read most of my German on the Kindle with a pop-up dictionary. Good luck for 2015!

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4432 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 16 of 58
01 January 2015 at 3:03am | IP Logged 
Yeah I mean, it's not too fun because I still do miss alot of words, but I can get the gist of each sentence now without being completely lost. I choose not to use a dictionary to push myself.

I should be updating again soon. I just got a bunch of movies in various languages so I'll be writing about my target language ones sometime after New Year's.

Speaking of which, happy New Year to everyone.

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version