United States
Joined 4432 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 25 of 58
01 February 2015 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
French:

Volunteered to do translations for a website. I learned some new computer specific vocab along the way.

Spanish:

Nothing much, lately. I have most of my reading dedicated to Italian at the moment. I'm not sure what to do next. I think I'll finish El internado one of these weeks. Or maybe after I finish my Italian book I'll start Steven Erikson's series. I'm on a real fantasy kick now.

Italian:

I completely marathoned through 1Q84 this past week. I've also already started Il nome del vento by Patrick Rothfuss. The vocab here is a little bit harder and more specific to certain areas, which is good. I'm about to start chapter 8. I'm really excited to do reading in Italian for some reason. The thought of reading Umberto Eco excites me.

German:

I'm at an impasse. I went through the Teach Yourself Further German book until it got easy for me, but reading is still a bit hard. If I want to succeed in German, I'll have to take it slower and not get as anxious as I do with Italian & Spanish.

Portuguese:

Finally got a hold of some good L/R material. Gonna start on it after some Italian reading.

Other:

I've been dabbling a bit in Latin, Swedish, and Romanian. Just for fun. Nothing serious, I swear!
1 person has voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5272 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 26 of 58
02 February 2015 at 5:13am | IP Logged 
You're juggling quite a bit there sillygoose1, yet you seem to be managing rather well. You prob really don't
need my encouragement, as it's encouraging me reading about your progress. Still at the risk of sounding
corny, you're doing great! Translations for a website with French sounds interesting. I hope you can pass your
German impasse and get your Portuguese LR rolling.

PM

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4432 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 27 of 58
09 February 2015 at 7:27pm | IP Logged 
Thanks! Yeah it wasn't anything big, it's just a community I'm part of who needed some volunteers. It was still exciting anyway. I was happy to do what I could.

French:

Watched some Fais pas ci fais pas ca, second season. Comprehension still good. At times it still sounds like everything slurs together, but that's only a word or two. That's just the nature of the French language.

Spanish

More of El internado. Nothing big lately.

Italian:

I'm up to chapter 23 of Il nome del vento, or, The name of the wind. I keep seeing the same words every chapter that I didn't know, so sooner or later they will become assimilated. My listening comprehension isn't where my French or Spanish is, but so close that I can taste it. Two seasons of Romanzo Criminale + Gomorra followed by a few raw movies should settle that issue.

German:

Some light harry potter reading. I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking of L/Ring straight through without looking up anything.

Portuguese:

Still no luck finding anything good. The lack of resources is starting to become a bit discouraging. No luck finding Portuguese/brazilian movies w/ PT subs nor good L/R material.

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3803 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 28 of 58
11 February 2015 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
sillygoose1 wrote:
Thanks! Yeah it wasn't anything big, it's just a community I'm part of who needed
some volunteers. It was still exciting anyway. I was happy to do what I could.

French:

Watched some Fais pas ci fais pas ca, second season. Comprehension still good. At times it still
sounds like everything slurs together, but that's only a word or two. That's just the nature of the French
language.

Bravo on the website translation! I would love to one day be able to do that! I enjoy Fais Pas Ci Fais Pas Ça
also. I am a little more than 1/2 through the first season. I still use the French subtitles, but I think when I
begin season 2, I am going to try it with no subtitles. It's definitely more understandable than Engrenages!

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4432 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 29 of 58
16 February 2015 at 12:51am | IP Logged 
Thanks!

Yeah I think it's great. It could definitely compete with most American sitcoms. Very relatable, French or not.

Engrenages can be hard, but once you learn some verlan and speech patterns it isn't as bad anymore. When I started season 1 I needed ENG subs and didn't understand a word. Now, on season 5, I can watch it fine without any subs.

French:

Nothing.

Spanish:

Nothing. Want to finish season 2 of El internado and season 2 of Epitafios, an Argentine crime/thriller series. Call me crazy, but for some reason lately some of the South American accents have been easier for me to understand than Castilian... Not that it's "easier" to understand, but it just seems clearer and as if it takes less effort. Maybe it's from all of the Italian work I've been doing or something, but the opposite used to be true for me.

Italian:

More reading. I can tell I'm getting better because I can understand my family better, even though they speak in straight up dialect. At first I could only pick out words, but now I'm getting at least 40-50% (not bad for a dialect that's pretty much gone in Italy as I understand it).

Il nome del vento is going good. I'm still learning new words every chapter. I'm very comfortable with conjugations and grammar now.

A few things I'm looking forward to that I've mentioned before but haven't gotten to yet:

Romanzo Criminale & Gomorra (both originally movies made into series) to learn a bit of the Roman slang/dialect and a bit of Neapolitan.

Reading Il nome della rose in the original.

Reading a book in Neapolitan (Il pastor fido)

My only dilemma now is to find a Neapolitan dictionary somewhere.

German:

Still on Harry Potter. Things are getting better and becoming more clear, but some vocab is still a nuisance. Gotta keep on working through it.

Portuguese:

Got The Hobbit pdf & audiobook! woo! My motivation has come back. To fill the previous void, I decided to go through Bresilien sans peine again. So I'll do that then start with the Hobbit!

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4432 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 30 of 58
19 February 2015 at 3:36am | IP Logged 
Italian:

Finished chapter 34. Reading is getting a lot easier.

Also downloading season 2 of Camera Cafe.

Spanish:

Going through Camera Cafe. I tried to go through it a year ago, but my comprehension wasn't high enough to enjoy it. Now I'm having fun with it. I think the Spanish & Italian versions are better than the original French. My theory still stands however, I feel as though my comprehension in peninsular Spanish has decreased somehow... It just sounds different. I'm thinking that after my spout of South American exposure (mainly Colombian, Argentine, and Mexican) I got used to how they tend to draw words out more and pronounce them clearer. I'm not sure. I'm just going to focus more on peninsular exposure for a bit.

Portuguese:

Planning on starting the Hobbit tomorrow along with Assimil Bresilien. I think there's a Camera Cafe made in Portugal & Brazil so I'll have to find it.

By the way, Camera Cafe is a great way to learn informal speech and idioms. In any language. Watching the whole series in French is what helped me get to a level in which I can understand things without subs. I wholeheartedly recommend it to all.

Here's a list of languages it's in:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cam%C3%A9ra_Caf%C3%A9

^ well the link doesn't work here, but google Camera Cafe wikipedia.

Edited by sillygoose1 on 19 February 2015 at 3:36am

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4432 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 31 of 58
21 February 2015 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
Italian:

Finished chapter 37. Might read 1-2 more today. I discovered a lot of tv series and movies that I downloaded. I really love the detective/giallo genre that Italy seems to have perfected. There are way too many series with "ispettore" or "commissario" in the title which is great because I love the genre. Not to mention the books!

One series that has eluded me has been "Donne assassine" which is a remake of the Argentine series Mujeres asesinas. I'm still looking though!

I've also been listening to a fair share of Italian rap which is surprisingly good if you find the right artists.

Spanish:

Mainly more Camera Cafe. I want to put it aside for a bit to get Italian rolling more. I still need to finish 2 of El internado. I've been listening to Spanish and South American rap also.

Portuguese:

More Assimil. I tried to start The hobbit but it was a wee bit too difficult at this point in time. Once I finish Assimil again I'll give it another shot.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4805 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 32 of 58
24 February 2015 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
Nice progress, Sillygoose1!

I know I am a bit late to post a reply here but I've been reading your log for some time
and it is a fine source of inspiration, thanks.

I have a question. I am considering learning Italian and I am unsure whether it would
interfere with Spanish in my case and so on. Could you please tell me (or link to any
thread or log where you already describe it so that you don't need to repeat yourself)
how you got to know your languages? Was adding Italian difficult? Were you already
advanced in the two previous ones?

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version