United States
Joined 4432 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 57 of 58
23 June 2015 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
Spanish:

More Guapas, some more Aqui no hay quien viva. Comprehension still going strong. Writing skills getting better after talking for a couple months with a Spaniard my age. I learned some cool and informal Spanish. Although the Rioplatense accent has gotten clearer to my ears, I'm still not 100% there yet. It could be their vocabulary though. It almost seems like a totally different dialect at times.

I'm thinking about undertaking a difficult project this Summer - read Infinite Jest in Spanish. For those unaware, it's David Foster Wallace's magnum opus that has one of the most important influences in Western postmodern literature. Now, the book itself in English is a huge undertaking in and of itself, but reading it in Spanish will prove to be a bit more of a challenge. Well, then again maybe not because a lot of his weird sentences probably won't get translated. I tried to read it before and couldn't get past page 80. I also tried to read The Broom of the System and only got halfway. I hope I've grown more to appreciate his work. So, to prepare, I've taken the liberty of reading some of his lighter works in Italian and Spanish to get myself used to his writing more. First, I'm going to read his book "Oblivion" in Spanish, so I'll detail my progress on that once I finish another book I'm reading.

Oh and Perdiendo el norte came out the other day. It has Ivan and Julia from El internado back together. There was another movie that had Marcos and Carolina, so I assume that the filmmakers were taking advantage of their previous onscreen chemistry.

Italian:

Watching 7 vite and got back on In treatment. 7 vite is the Italian remake of the Spanish series 7 vidas. Compared to its Spanish counterpart, the episodes are 22-28 minutes which gives me the energy to watch multiple episodes a day. It's not that great of a show, but it's Italian tv so I have to take what I can get sometimes. In treatment is pretty good though. It's also an adaptation of the US series. I'm not sure why it got so many adaptations made. I know they've been made in Argentina, Brazil, Italy, and Hungary. I guess I'll have to find out the reason at the end.

I'm also reading Una cosa divertente che non faro mai piu by David Foster Wallace. I gotta get in the mood for that Infinite Jest undertaking.

German:

On lesson 59 of Perfezionamento. This lesson and the last are pretty tough. I have to review both today because I don't think I understood everything. I only have a little more than a weeks left of lessons to go after that then it's time to move on to native materials!

Latin:

Lesson 16 of Le Latin. Not too hard yet, but then again the lessons are really short.

Edited by sillygoose1 on 23 June 2015 at 10:07pm

1 person has voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4432 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 58 of 58
30 June 2015 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
Spanish:

Finished the 41st episode of Guapas today. I'm starting to feel more comfortable with South American accents and ways of speaking. Argentine speech to be more specific. I've been learning a lot of new vocab specific to Argentina and I'm starting to fall more in love with their way of speaking and culture everyday that I'm beginning to think, why not just use these vocab words as my mode of expression? "ambo" feels way more comfortable than "bata", the same for "bochar" and "suspender". I'm even starting to like anteultimo over penultimo lately.

Spaniards seem to be hit or miss. Sometimes I'll watch a show and get everything, other times I'll put a movie on and it seems like they're all andaluz. My Spanish friend said that even his younger siblings who are Andalusian have trouble understanding some movies based there. It's weird, but whenever I'm watching a Spanish show or movie and have a hard time understanding someone I'll look them up on imdb and see they're from andalusia. So yeah, this is my current goal. Understand them better.

Italian:

Still going strong with 7 vite and In treatment. Comprehension is getting better everyday and my reading is quickly improving. I found some decent shows lately that i've bookmarked as well as some movies. Italian comedies are pretty fun to watch. Listening to Italian rap is cool too. The only really good rap I've found is from Naples which unfortunately is performed in Neapolitan which I can't understand. But, we work with what we have which is why I branched out to other rappers. Stokka & Madbuddy are Sicilian but don't rap in Sicilian and Ensi is pretty good too. Colle der fomento are from Rome and good, but kind of repetitive at times. They do have some superb songs though.

Season 2 of Gomorra is coming out later this year I think, so yay!

German:

Finished lesson 66, only 4 more lessons left! I'm really happy that I decided to go back to this book because now everything is fitting in my mind better. German doesn't seem as much of a puzzle to me anymore. I'm wondering what to do next. Maybe start with a novel and dubbed Simpsons.

Latin:

Finished lesson 22 of Assimil.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version