France
Joined 5589 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, FrenchC1, English, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German, Japanese, Hungarian, Sanskrit, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hindi

Message 41 of 58
25 March 2015 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
Me too, I enjoy "El internado". But I already saw the Russian version of the series, so I know the story.
1 person has voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4432 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 42 of 58
27 March 2015 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
I had no idea there was a Russian version. That could come in handy one day. :D

Spanish:

Finished episode 2 season 3 of El internado. Watched 4-5 more Camera Cafe episodes.

Italian:

Watched episode 4 of Romanzo Criminale. A few Camera Cafe episodes. On chapter 4 of Cemetery of Prague. This chapter looks to be quite long, so I'm going to treat it as 2 chapters.

German:

Finished 2 chapters of Alice in wonderland. I think that was the missing piece to my German puzzle, bilingual texts.

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4432 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 43 of 58
01 April 2015 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
Spanish:

Season 3 of El internado completed. Extremely happy with how it went.

I'm going to take a little break from getting invested into more series right now and get caught up on other shows.

I'm still watching Camera Cafe. I'm not sure if it's Youtube or just how some of the characters talk, but there are a few people who are difficult to understand at times. Besides that, I'm understanding the plots and sub plots of each sketch and I'm able to pick out new words just as easy by ear. Before I never really noticed, but after watching a few South American movies, I can see now how difficult Spaniards can be to understand at times. Notably in just informal settings such as the one Camera Cafe is set in.

Italian:

Taking a break midway through Prague Cemetery to do some lighter mystery reading. Eco writes in more eloquent language while your run of the mill detective novel will have more vocab that is more commonly used of which I'm encountering more and more.

The book I'm reading is called La Donna dei Fiori di Carta by Donati Carrisi. It's not really anything special, but it's short and keeps me interested long enough to get some use out of it.

I'd love to one day be able to read Montalbano novels, but the Sicilian used in those books was a bit tough for me to decipher at times. I suppose I'll give it another shot.

In other news, I've started learning Piedmontese and Corsican. Not seriously, just to sort of complement my Italian study. I'm just aiming for passive knowledge, not looking to speak them.

Portuguese:

Finished the first, long chapter of The Hobbit.

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4432 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 44 of 58
06 April 2015 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
Spanish:

Finished my other series, and I'm almost through season 4 of El internado. I'm getting a consistent 90%~ comprehension with every episode unless I had just finished other language work before watching an episode. I've also learned a few new "very familiar" vocab terms and idioms.

I'm going to be taking a break from novels and start reading more magazines & comics. I've never been into comics or manga before, but I've seen some lately that look pretty cool.

I'm going through a monthly magazine right now called Investigacion y ciencia which is, as you can tell, heavily science based. I also want to try to read an issue of El jueves each week when I can.

I also downloaded a manga called Death Note.

So to sum up my projected work for the next few weeks -

Finish El internado
Read a few issues of El jueves
Read Investigacion y ciencia
Read Death Note

Italian:

Finished La Donna etc & Le citta invisibili. I'm on season 2 of Camera Cafe and I'm also reading a comic called Leo Pulp or something. I downloaded some manga too. I'm getting a lot more informal vocab in this comic than the whole last 2 books I read.

My comprehension is getting better and better each day as evidenced by my ascending enjoyment of Camera Cafe.

Oh, I also finished season 1 of Romanzo criminale. Incredible tv series so far. After hearing that Gomorra is better, my expectations for it are extremely high now.

My Piedmontese study is going slowly but surely, and I'm advancing heavily in Le corse sans peine. In fact, it's helping me to understand other central/southern Italian dialects easier. So I'm going to keep up with my Corsican study just for that if nothing else.
2 persons have voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4432 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 45 of 58
04 May 2015 at 7:16pm | IP Logged 
French:
-

Spanish:

I've recently finished episode 3 of the 6th season of El internado.Things are starting to heat up a little bit and I'm excited to get to the last season.

I'm also caught up in a few telenovelas and another show, Pesadilla en la cocina. The Spanish version of Kitchen Nightmares.

As far as my novelas are concerned, I'm watching an Argentine one that I find to be extremely awesome called Guapas. It's about 5 Argentine women who become best friends due to a bank failure. The characters are funny and the plots are surprisingly well done.

The other is called Palabra de ladron from Colombia. Can't say too much yet since I've only seen a few episodes, but it seems somewhat promising.

I think I can communicate well according to my Spanish speaking online acquaintances on interpals.

Italian:

Watching Cucine da incubo for listening practice and Gomorra for practice + fun. Gomorra is awesome. I'm not sure if I prefer Romanzo Criminale more yet or not. Both are fantastic. The series finale of RC did have me tear up a bit though and I'm not sure if Gomorra will be that kind of show.

I'm hoping to get around to watching more movies soon, but Spanish has been taking up most of my study time. Novelas are so fun but oh so time consuming.

Portuguese:

Light newspaper reading

German:

Finished Alice in Wonderland.

Edited by sillygoose1 on 22 May 2015 at 5:48pm

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4432 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 46 of 58
15 May 2015 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
Spanish:

I'm on the 18th episode of Guapas. It's still really cool and funny. I look forward to watching it. I found the male equivalent which is called Srs. Papis (i think), so I'll be looking forward to watching that one as well. I've learned a lot of Southern Cone specific vocab and idioms which is what I was aiming for.

I'm about halfway through season 6 of El internado. Almost there! I have a large amount of Spanish series to fill in its gap. I'm probably going to go back to Fisica o Quimica since I stopped about a year ago at season 2 when I could barely understand any of it.

Or I may finish the rest of Aqui no hay quien viva.

Italian:

I finished Gomorra. Beautiful series, better than Romanzo Criminale in my opinion. I'm excited for season 2 which is starting next year. It was mainly in Neapolitan though, but whatever. Great ending, great quotes, great characters. L'omm che po fa men 'e tutt'cos nun ten paur 'e nient

At the moment I'm going through two series - I Soliti Idioti which is basically a vulgar sketch comedy and the Italian version of In Treatment. Both are giving me great practice. In Treatment has a few southern Italian accents and I Soliti Idioti has a few characters who speak with a heavy Roman dialect.

German:

Going through the Italian version of Perfectionnement Allemand - Perfezionamento tedesco. On lesson 26.

Anya
Pentaglot
France
Joined 5589 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, FrenchC1, English, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German, Japanese, Hungarian, Sanskrit, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hindi

Message 47 of 58
16 May 2015 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
Me too, I am watching several Spanish series, recently "El barco" and "Isabel".
2 persons have voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4432 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 48 of 58
16 May 2015 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
I'm hoping to start back with Isabel soon! I only saw the first season like a year ago. Has it gotten better?

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version