United States
Joined 4432 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 49 of 58
22 May 2015 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
French:

Got back into the swing of things. Due to disuse, my comprehension has fallen a bit, but with some work it'll go right back up.

I came back full force. I think I just needed a longer break than expected.

Here's what I'm doing:

L/R L'ecume des jours
Watching seasons 8-9 of Scenes de menages
Watching seasons 1-2 of Mos chers voisins
Watching season 2 of Les lascars
Going to start watching season 2 of Fais pas ci fais pas ca

I'm going to apply what I've learned with my Spanish adventure to that of French - just watch a bunch of stuff without worrying about comprehension. When I first started watching Spanish series, I didn't care too much because it was the language I used after French. So I would just keep watching shows without worrying about understanding everything like I did in French. Eventually, I started understanding a lot more. So that's what I'm going to do now. I'm already loaded up on series.

Spanish:

I'm starting to get bored of El internado - I need to slow down a bit. I'm looking to get back into Fisica o Quimica, the Spanish version of Skins.

Other than that, I'm still going through the Argentine telenovela Guapas and I watched the first episode of a new Chilean telenovela called La poseida.

Italian:

Motivation went down a bit, taking a break.

German:

On lesson 33 of Perfezionamento tedesco.
1 person has voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4432 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 50 of 58
27 May 2015 at 4:46am | IP Logged 
French:

Finished my L/R. It was a nice way to get back into the sounds and flow of French after such a long break from it.

But I didn't let a long break slow me down.

I finished Season 1 of Nos chers voisins which is actually pretty funny. It takes a bit for the references to become known, but soon it works out.

I've also watched the first episode of season 2 of Fais pas ci fais pas ca. The first season was funny from what I remember, and this season doesn't seem to differ as much. It's not the greatest audio quality, but it works.

There's also Les lascars, Les tutos, Connasse and Workingirls. A bunch of short length, vulgar comedies compared to Nos chers voisins or Kaamelott.

Les lascars has a lot of slang and verlan, so it's good practice. Sometimes I can barely understand anything and it usually turns out to be a tricky verlan word. It's funny though. I like it for the practice.

Les tutos actually surprised me quite a bit. The whole screaming/weird/stupid guy hogging the camera usually turns me off, but this dude pulls it off great. It's basically a crazy guy who does and says insane things while presenting you with a "tutorial" on how to create something. He cracked me up various times. It's not too hard to understand even.

Going off of the first episode of Workingirls, I think I'll like it. It wasn't bad at all.

That said, after doing more investigating, France has put out some solid series this year and last which I'm really looking forward to.

Spanish:

El internado is going slowly but surely. Still bored of it, nothing else to say.I've only seen one episode this past week so yeah.

On the other hand, I've been enjoying Guapas. The accent became way more clear to me and I'm having a lot more fun with it.

German:

Assimil Perfectionnement 37 done
2 persons have voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5003 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 51 of 58
27 May 2015 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
Thanks for mentioning all those French series, I've added them to my list! There's so much comedy available in French and it's definitely useful for learning. If you're looking for stand-up, a French friend recommended Jamel Comedy Club to me. Quite a variety of performers, so it's a bit hit-or-miss, but there's some good stuff.

My Spanish list is also growing. Whenever I start learning that again I'll have a nice big selection of films and TV waiting for me!

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4432 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 52 of 58
30 May 2015 at 12:24am | IP Logged 
No problem! I'm sure you'll enjoy them! I still have a lot more to add also so keep dropping by once in awhile. Thanks for your rec as well.

I don't have any real updates to add because I've been suffering through an ear infection for the past 2 weeks now, but only this week has it impaired my hearing to the point where I decided to postpone watching stuff in other languages. I'm going to wait until I can hear again then I'm right back on it.

I can say however that my French listening has improved dramatically this past week(when my ear wasn't full of bacterial fluid). I'm catching just about everything I hear, even the mumbling Christophe in Fais pas ci fais pas ca.

My Spanish has been great too. After getting exposed more to South American accents, I'm starting to get a real ear for its comprehension. I remember the first episode of Guapas I watched, I could only get like half of what was said. Now I'm on the 26th and I'm getting wayyy more to the point where I can pick out words and expressions on the fly. It's unfortunate that only Spain and Argentina seem to have the best series because I'd really like to get exposure to other accents more. Telenovelas are hit and miss for me.

Also, I'm going to play around with Mandarin for a bit. I really like the idea of speaking English, French, Spanish, and Mandarin because that's a lot of entertainment value and people to communicate with. I'm going to "profit" from my ear infection to get going with a few lessons to see how I like it. I'd like to visit China and their dramas are pretty good, so hopefully my motivation will stick.

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4432 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 53 of 58
05 June 2015 at 3:33am | IP Logged 
French:

Watching some more Nos chers voisins and Les tutos. I learned two new phrases. C'est de la balle which means that's awesome and c'est le pied which means something like great or brillant.

Looking to hope back on the FPCFPC, Les lascars, and Workingirls train tomorrow. I think my infection is fully gone so I can hear again!

Spanish:

Finished the 6th season of El internado. I'm going to save the 7th and last for later on. I want to watch some more Aqui no hay quien viva. I miss that show.

Besides that, just some more Guapas watching. Nothing too dramatic has changed.

Portuguese:

L/R'ed two more chapters of O Hobbit. I'm starting to get used to the sounds of Portuguese, but I still need to learn conjugations. After that I think I'll be able to dive into native materials(that's to say, Brazilian/Portuguese literature rather than a translation).

German:

I've been doing some work with a few graded readers + watching some youtube videos. The language feels really familiar to my ears. It doesn't seem like it will take too long to get accustomed to like the Romance languages.

Italian:

Watching more of I soliti idioti. Comprehension getting better, but still not feeling it 100% with the various accents.

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5003 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 54 of 58
05 June 2015 at 10:18am | IP Logged 
How are you finding I soliti idioti? I watched one of the films a couple of years ago and it was very challenging between the accents and the cultural references. Haven't tried the series yet, but I will.

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4432 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 55 of 58
05 June 2015 at 4:56pm | IP Logged 
It's pretty hard at times, especially Gianluca's dad, the mafioso, and above all this guy at a bar who jumps in on people's conversations. I think I just need more exposure to Romanesco and more Southern accents.
2 persons have voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4432 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 56 of 58
09 June 2015 at 7:09pm | IP Logged 
French:

Currently reading a nice, short noir novel called Anonyme. The first chapter was kind of weird to say the least. Definitely not something I expected going in.

It did refresh my memory of the word "ereinter" and I learned that "coupure" is another word for "billet" or "bill". (like a dollar bill). Hadn't heard it used like that before.

Got some French reality tv series. I'm always off and on with them for some reason. But, for the most part, they're entertaining to a degree and contain some modern jargon. The ones I have right now are Les Ch'tis a la jet set (I saw the first one already), Les Ch'tis vs Les marseillais, Les anges de la telerealite, and Seduis moi si tu peux. Yeah, pretty silly and never something I'd watch in English, but whatever. Gotta do what I gotta do!

Spanish:

Finished the 30th episode of Guapas. I found out that instead of "penultimo", Argentina uses "anteultimo". They also use the French word "remise" to mean like a rental or something. So an auto de remise is a rental car. Crazy.

Not really sure what else to mention. I have a lot of telenovelas and reality series lined up from a lot of different countries. I think I mentioned it here before, but Amor a prueba is pretty funny and has people from a bunch of different countries in it. I also found my first Peruvian piece of media which is a telenovela. Looking forward to that since the only time I've heard the Peruvian accent so far was from a bunch of kids complaining in Dota 2.

German:

Finished lesson 44 of Perfezionamento tedesco today. Something awesome happened like 10 lessons ago. That feeling you get when a language no longer feels foreign. I've been trying to reach that point in German for the past year now.

Other:

I did a few lessons of the newest Latin Assimil course, Le Latin. I've always wanted to learn Latin to at least a basic fluency level. I think I'm going to work on that this Summer for fun. I might also get down to getting a decent level in Swedish and Norwegian or Danish. If these plans stick, they'll be added to the bold list of languages with my updates at some point.

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version