United States
Joined 4432 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 33 of 58
24 February 2015 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
Thanks!

Surely. Basically, I started French first and and studied only French for about a year until I could read easily. Then, I did Assimil Italian. Italian was supposed to be my 3rd language, but I switched to Spanish. I did French & Spanish study for about a year or two before I started back up with Italian.

No, it was not. I could already read it and understand basic news programs without ever having read a book in it or using it at all(besides knowing a few things from my family). The only slight obstacle I had for a very short period of time was separating Spanish & Italian conjugations in my head.

So yeah, I could already use French & Spanish at a somewhat high level before I seriously started Italian, but it'd definitely be possible to keep them separate as long as you get intermediate in one first, in my opinion.   
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4805 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 34 of 58
24 February 2015 at 1:18am | IP Logged 
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. I think that I shouldn't have serious trouble
with Italian then, but I'll probably wait a few months, get the rest of the Spanish
conjugations down first.

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4432 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 35 of 58
04 March 2015 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
French:

I've been watching some Camera Cafe & Very bad blagues to keep my French alive. My comprehension is lower than it used to be though. Maybe due to my other languages. Reading is still fine.

Italian:

Started watching some Camera Cafe. Comprehension is good, but not great. I miss some words and I frequently miss jokes and punchlines.

I finished Il nome del vento. It was ok, and since this book was supposed to give fantasy a second chance for me, I feel as though it didn't do enough.

Time to go back to my old books. I suppose that next I'll go for some Erich Fromm or Il nome della rosa. I also plan on reading War and Peace in Italian (and Anna karenina in Spanish).

Spanish:

Camera Cafe and Casados con hijos (Argentine version). It's all available on Youtube if anyone is interested in the links. Camera Cafe has been getting better in that words are becoming clearer and clearer every day. It feels great. As far as Casados con hijos, I mean, Spanish is Spanish but sometimes it can get difficult. This is as native as native speech can get. A suburban family going through crises every episode and not holding back on speech. I'd like to get back into reading, so I'll start a book soon alongside Italian.

Portuguese:

Still going through Assimil. I also started watching some Youtube channels. I can get the gist but not everything. More to come.

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4432 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 36 of 58
09 March 2015 at 9:15pm | IP Logged 
Italian:

About 1/4th of the way through Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre. It's interesting so far, nothing I'm not used to at this point. I like the vocab that I'm picking up. It also seems to be translated in a more formal, somewhat archaic Italian.

Spanish:

A lot of Camera Cafe. That's about it. Comprehension getting better in it. It's a bit hard at times to understand everything. Harder than movies even.

Portuguese:

Lesson 66 of Assimil.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4685 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 37 of 58
12 March 2015 at 9:21pm | IP Logged 
So yeah, I could already use French & Spanish at a somewhat high level before I
seriously started Italian, but it'd definitely be possible to keep them separate as long
as you get intermediate in one first, in my opinion.

I am low intermediate (or maybe high beginner) in each, and what I've found is that I
can keep them separate - but I can only do one or the other at a time. I can study
French and Spanish, or French and Italian, but not Spanish and Italian. It's like they
both occupy the same slot in my brain. Hopefully this will change as I get better in one
or the other.    
2 persons have voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4432 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 38 of 58
13 March 2015 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
Oh yeah that will definitely change. In fact, what will eventually happen is the opposite. You'll start solidifying your comprehension when using both within short intervals of each other. There were quite a few times where I "learned" a new Spanish word by already having heard it in an Italian movie and vice versa.

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4432 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 39 of 58
19 March 2015 at 1:28am | IP Logged 
Italian:

Finished Nausea. I'm now going through the series Romanzo Criminale with English subs, then the second season will be with Italian subs.

I'm also still going through Camera Cafe. I feel like the point I'm at with my comprehension is where I was with Spanish a few months ago which is exciting. I'm anticipating that my oral comprehension will be at a very good place by the end of the first season.

I'm going to start a new novel soon. Not sure if it'll be something from the Western canon or a detective novel to get some more slang down.

Spanish:

El internado & Camera Cafe. I feel very good overall in Spanish. I need to start a novel soon alongside Italian. Same novel dilemma as Italian. Since I feel pretty confident in with the slang, I might do a classic novel.

Portuguese:

Finished chapter 1 of The Hobbit. Not bad, not great.

German:

Graded reader work.

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4432 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 

Message 40 of 58
25 March 2015 at 3:49am | IP Logged 
French:

Watched the first episode of season 6 of Un village francais.

Spanish:

Finally finished season 2 of El internado and watched the first episode of the 3rd season. I wish Spain had a bigger budget for tv because they could make quite a few international hits. I've also watched like 10 more episodes of Camera Cafe. It's still hard to understand, but it's mainly the jokes and puns at this point. I don't expect to ever understand them unless I live in Spain.

Italian:

Watched Camera Cafe. Same problem as Spanish pretty much. I can now understand them when they yell and talk fast. This is something I can't even do in French all that well anymore. I've also started reading The cemetery of Prague by Umberto Eco. Only 2 chapters in so far.

Portuguese:

Some more L/R

German:

Reading a bilingual version of Alice in wonderland.

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version