Ending
United States
Joined 5122 days ago

19 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 9 of 88
27 January 2015 at 12:46am | IP Logged 
I'm in with French. However, I don't use twitter, so I'll guess it's just for myself really.
My goals would be to finish the Duolingo course and my grammar book.
1 person has voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5278 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 10 of 88
27 January 2015 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
i would like to join but don't know if i'd be allowed. What exactly is intermediate level? I think I'm intermediate
but some people might think it's a stretch for me to be here perhaps, perhaps not. I passed a B1 exam in
French (my language of choice for this 6wc if allowed) in March 2014. So i'm guessing my reading skils are
possibly a B2 now or getting close. Listening and speaking are prob both B1 I think, and writing I'm unsure,
perhaps somwhere in the middle of B1 and B2 (I am trying lately to write all my posts on HTLAL in English
(mother tongue) as well as French with the aid of a dictionary and reference to rusty grammar points.

I don't use a great deal of native materials although sometimes I will go on a run and use them on
consecutive days over a few days, but I tend to rely on a lot of coursework. Currently I'm on the 86th Lesson
of Assimil NFWE first wave/37th lesson 2nd wave. I'm using French in Action (leçon 12, but have reached
half way in this years ago) and Fluenz French (level 3 currently). I have completed some other courses such
as Hugo French in 3 Months, Colloquial French, and some of the FSI (levels 1 to 6) as well as all 3 levels of
Michel Thomas French, almost all four of Pimsleur French IV and some other audio programs as well.

Refer to my log for more detail if required (can't be bothered with a link sorry, just click my name and go from
there)

I think it would be useful for those that have certification of language level or understand the Common
European Framework of Reference for Languages to indicate at which level you are no longer accepted (ie
no one above intermediate = no-one above C1? or is it no one B2 and above? for example)

PM

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6399 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 88
27 January 2015 at 2:21pm | IP Logged 
The limit is B1/low intermediate. IMO they're not the same thing though.

I'm trying to decide between Swedish and BCSM.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3809 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Studies: French

Message 12 of 88
27 January 2015 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
PM My very simplistic view: I think you meet qualifications if you want to join.   You indicated you are not B2
yet, and while you may have a skill or two that is B2 or approaching B2, you haven't taken or passed a B2
exam. I say why not join in the fun!
2 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5278 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 13 of 88
27 January 2015 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
Mohave wrote:
PM My very simplistic view: I think you meet qualifications if you want to join.   You
indicated you are not B2
yet, and while you may have a skill or two that is B2 or approaching B2, you haven't taken or passed a B2
exam. I say why not join in the fun!

While I appreciate Serpent's reply (thanks) and it may or may not be correct, I'm going to latch onto
your reply Mohave and run with it, while I can. If it's only this once I'd like to see what the 6WC can do for me
in terms of finding time I didn't think I had. I'm in! I will register properly asap.

PM

Edited by PeterMollenburg on 27 January 2015 at 10:45pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5944 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 14 of 88
27 January 2015 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
Do we know if the B1 limitation includes B1 level? I was under the impression that you have to be *below* B1 level in your target language for the challenge. If that's not the case, however, I might consider changing my target language from Turkish to Mandarin.

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5278 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 15 of 88
28 January 2015 at 1:19am | IP Logged 
Okay I'm having doubts again whether I'm 'allowed' to join.

I thought this might be the challenge for me as I've found the rules of the SC don't match well with my
activities of interest. Here supposedly I could do anything. Yet the rules are proving problematic yet again. My
official complaint goes like this: Why can only beginners join? Where is the advantage in being more
advanced? That might seem like a dumb question as perhaps we are to assume that advanced learners can
log more activities? I disagree. For over a year I've been using a multitude of beginning/intermediate
resources just so I can make it to a more advanced level that allows me to slow down/advance more leisurely
while I put effort into other things including new languages. I personally feel this rule is rubbish.

PM, the angry (not that much) small bird, ie a sparrow with slight attitude

I still intend on joining, but with even one strong fairly justified objection I will withdraw

Edited by PeterMollenburg on 28 January 2015 at 1:23am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7007 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 16 of 88
28 January 2015 at 1:38am | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Okay I'm having doubts again whether I'm 'allowed' to join.

You have a C2 in personality, but that should not be a barrier.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 88 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version