United States
Joined 3791 days ago

94 posts - 138 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 41 of 88
03 February 2015 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
I'm following other's examples of the time:

#german 30min -- with no space. For 1 hour 30 min I'm converting to 90min, and mine are updating fine.
1 person has voted this message useful

epictetus
Groupie
Canada
Joined 3684 days ago

54 posts - 87 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 42 of 88
03 February 2015 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
I've done the exact same and still can't get a response from the bot! Grrr..

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5944 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 43 of 88
03 February 2015 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 
Are your tweets protected? If so, the bot might not be able to see them at all.

epictetus
Groupie
Canada
Joined 3684 days ago

54 posts - 87 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 44 of 88
04 February 2015 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
I think they are, but I don't understand why the first two worked fine and now they
don't. Is there any way to use the bot without having the tweets be public? I don't
actually use Twitter despite having an account so now friends that found me through my
email will be seeing everything.

I suppose I could create a new email, then a new account, and so on... seems a faff.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5944 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 45 of 88
04 February 2015 at 7:22am | IP Logged 
Not to be that person, but... I wondered how some people could already have logged ~27 hours of study in the first three days of the challenge. That would mean that of these first three days, this person has spent *over a full day* studying languages non-stop. Furthermore, I checked the tags that they've logged, and TV accounted for about 14 hours of the total time. I don't object to TV as a study method, but I do find it very hard to believe that someone could have realistically already spent 26 hours (because of the 6WC convention of adjusting time spent watching TV/movies down to 50% of the actual time) just watching TV, PLUS an additional 13 hours of other language study -- a total of ~39 hours. This would mean that out of the ~3 days (~72 hours) that the challenge has been ongoing, this person has already spent nearly two full days studying non-stop. I wonder, since the person is an HTLAL member, if they could confirm (if they have time!) that this is indeed what they have been doing.

Sorry, I don't mean to be confrontational. I just want to make sure that the challenge is fair for everyone, and I'm legitimately curious how you manage to squeeze in that much study time!

Edited by ellasevia on 04 February 2015 at 7:26am

2 persons have voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5110 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 46 of 88
04 February 2015 at 8:06am | IP Logged 
No problem asking. Only through discussion can we count time more consistently.

I wish there were simple discounting methods like:

Count 100% if you watched a movie:
- in the cinema
- while eating
- while drinking
- while patting the dog
- while rocking the baby

and 30%
- with phone in hand
- with mouse in hand
- or anything else

Doesn't have to make sense. It's just for consistency so it only has to be non-ambiguous.

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5110 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 47 of 88
04 February 2015 at 8:21am | IP Logged 
There's a competition on at Memrise, which would help upping 6WC scores.

The Memrise February Goal Setter Challenge

They have this new "Goal" function where you set a goal to obtain, say, 1000 points per day for a course, and it'd tell you how many points you've obtained that day and how many day's streak you've kept so far.

The competition is a lucky draw for achievers of their goals. Multiple entries possible.

I have participated with 4 6000-point goals, all with Italian. I'm after the T-shirt, and I like stickers. What will your goals be? Tell us about it!

-

Edited by smallwhite on 04 February 2015 at 8:25am

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5278 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 48 of 88
04 February 2015 at 8:50am | IP Logged 
Since I'm hanging around the top of the leaderboard I thought I'd mention my methods... bare in mind in
Australia here it's the 4th day here. I'm not near 28hrs but i'm just over 20hrs study.

I have been counting watching anything 100% worth of it's time (do I need to only count 50%? I wasn't aware
of this rule).

I get up at 6am. I start studying at about 6.15

I do four hours of study like this:
1st hour: 15 minutes of flashcards + 45 minutes of a course (Assmil NFWE)
2nd hour: 15 min FC's again + 45 minutes Fluenz French 3
3rd hour: 15 min FC's + 45 min French in Action
4th hour: 15 min FC's + 45 min TY Get Started in French
I finish around 1130 as short breaks drags it out a little. I eat some food after that and either do some exercise
or spend time with my family. I often start work at 3pm or 3,30pm. If I'm working at the hospital I begin at 1pm,
which hasn't happened yet in these first frew days and when it does i'm unlikely to get 4hrs done.

On my way to work I listen to around 30minutes of French, and 30 minutes on the way home. My 2nd job
(where I am now) has some downtime. I can sometimes do an hour of listening again or reading while at work
while my client does something that doesn't call for my interaction. If i'm on a day off I'll watch some French in
the evening on TV with my wife as we are both enjoying Un village français lately. While I eat after my study
in the late morning I often watch some of the French news. If my wife is out for the day and i'm on my own
and not exercising I may watch something. This is how I manage to get the hours I do. It's not necessarily
something I can maintain long-term. If you know me you know I have a rediculous list of courses to get
through and thus I'm using this 6WC to knock off some of the easier more mundane courses on my list in the
extra time I have created by functioning a little like a robot.

Again if I need to cut my watching to 50% of its time as official rules state so then I will, but I haven't seen this
written any where (I may have missed it). If it's the case I will not count any watching again until I've watched
exactly double what I've already watched, thereby diminishing what I"ve already watched to 50%.

PM

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 88 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version