Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5110 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 49 of 88
04 February 2015 at 9:08am | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:
I have been counting watching anything 100% worth of it's time (do I need to only count 50%? I wasn't aware
of this rule).

Official 6WC webpage > "Read about using the bot here." > However, please consider whether you are focussing on the language. If you're doing something where the language is not your one and only focus (e. g. ironing while playing a podcast in the background, or watching a TV show where you mostly focus on the native-language subtitles and don't intently listen to the target-language audio), please only award yourself a fraction of the minutes, corresponding to the percentage of your attention that you gave to the target language. For 60 minutes of studying to count as 60 minutes in this scoring, you have to be 100% focussed on learning your target language.

3 persons have voted this message useful

dandt
Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4426 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 50 of 88
04 February 2015 at 9:15am | IP Logged 
I'm also near the top as well (I'm Waytoometa) and like PM, I'm in Australia. Averaging it out over the 4 days is
roughly 5 hours a day. I've spent maybe 2 hours max on Italian today, but I know I spent most of monday and most
of yesterday doing Italian. It's all in my log as well, as I'm pretty diligent about updating it. Too much, perhaps.

I didn't realise we were meant to count TV as 50%. I saw the bit about counting as a fraction if we were doing
something else though. My understanding was that it was counted as 100% if 100% of your energy was towards it. I
have a road trip in a few weeks and was planning on listening to Michel Thomas the whole time, but I certainly
wasn't going to log it as 8 hours as driving means focusing on the road as well. For example, I had Michel Thomas
on when I was mowing the lawn, so I didn't count it as 100%. I can't remember what I counted it as though, I think I
counted it as 50%.

When I was watching TV/Movies (both tagged with TV for ease), I only did that - I'm not at a point where I can do
anything else and still have any idea what is going on. If I should have been discounting it, I'd be happy to remedy it
somehow.

Seeing as I'm over 20 hours, I thought I would post about what I've been doing as well, just to clear the air. Unlike
PM, I don't really have a routine with it. On Sunday, I watched an episode of the Cosby show. I spent quite a bit of
time on duolingo. I worked on Assimil, went through my grammar book, mowed with Michel Thomas on and did
memrise, I believe. I think I spent 4 hours or so on Italian.

I was home sick from work Monday and Tuesday and spent most of both days studying Italian. I watched some
movies, I spent a lot of time on duolingo, I worked through grammar etc. I went through an episode of Buffy slowly
to try and understand as much as I could. I did 3 units from my Teach Yourself Book.

Today, I was at work all day. I've logged very little time; I did some duolingo when I woke up before getting ready for
work. I did grammar drills at lunch time and had some downtime when I did a few more drills later on in the day.
Today is certainly more of a typical day for me, and I might end up with 4 hours all up for the day at the most. Once
my studies resume, I'll probably be lucky to get two hours logged because I find it hard to dedicate myself to my
actual study, then spend my 'free' time learning more. My brain just won't be able to deal with it.

Anyway, I'm as surprised as others at how much time I have clocked up already. I'm just jumping into Italian at the
moment, so perhaps it's a sense of too much enthusiasm. The competition is certainly helping too; my housemate
was laughing at me and how, whenever someone else logs time and gets ahead, I jump into Italian mode and start
doing grammar drills or going through my flash cards. I don't want to make assumptions, but I suspect the others
who have logged a lot of time may feel the same. I jumped into the challenge determined to log as much time as
possible because I want to learn as much as possible, which I thought was the spirit of the challenge.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6399 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 51 of 88
04 February 2015 at 12:47pm | IP Logged 
There has been a voting that deemed it acceptable to count movies/TV as 100%.
3 persons have voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5110 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 52 of 88
04 February 2015 at 1:34pm | IP Logged 
I'm usually among the top 5 so I'll explain how I count my hours as well.

The tag #listening refers to listening to a recording while reading its transcript, and related work such as looking up the dictionary and downloading the recording. Full attention. Counts 100%.

The tag #mp3 is re-listening to the recordings above, or listening to web-radio, while I:
- walk and shadow: 50%
- walk and constantly pay attention to the mp3: 50%
- walk or travel and pay attention on and off: 10% to 33%
- cook or garden: 33%
- surf Facebook: 0% to 25% depending on the amount of reading
- surf forums or otherwise read: 0%
Only makes up 1X% of my scores anyway.

Most of the time I enter a 6WC only when I'm not working, so I have all day. No family obligations. The only housework I must do is feeding and grooming myself. These take second place to the 6WC :)

-

Edited by smallwhite on 04 February 2015 at 6:42pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5278 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 53 of 88
05 February 2015 at 9:19am | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
I have been counting watching anything 100% worth of it's
time (do I need to only count 50%? I wasn't aware
of this rule).

Official 6WC webpage > "Read about using the bot
here." > However, please consider whether you are focussing
on the language. If you're doing something where the language is not your one and only focus (e. g. ironing
while playing a podcast in the background, or watching a TV show where you mostly focus on the native-
language subtitles and don't intently listen to the target-language audio), please only award yourself a fraction
of the minutes, corresponding to the percentage of your attention that you gave to the target language. For 60
minutes of studying to count as 60 minutes in this scoring, you have to be 100% focussed on learning your
target language.

Thanks smallwhite,

Actualy I did read this, and although it may sound after the fact, I have been discounting some minutes.
Some mornings I've sat down, watched the news for 10-15min but not been able to concentrate due to noise
or my wife chatting with me so I simply haven't counted it- i've been doing this for my own log for some time
as well. Other times I take off 5,10, 20 min depending on various factors. Podcasts while doing dishes I cut
time too depending on background noise/concentration level. Other TV episodes I have counted 100% as I
have focused on them 100%. Thanks for sharing smallwhite :)
1 person has voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5278 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 54 of 88
05 February 2015 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
Now I'm going to be one of "those people"....

Today to my shock horror ;) (partially meant in jest partially not) I was overtaken by a BIG amount on the
overall leaderboard (not the language specific one). This person has now logged 90 hours of total language
study. I think it's fair to ask for this to be justified or adressed. How dare I be overtaken (runs off crying)... No
seriously 90hrs in 5 days? Ummm that's like 18 hours each day. I have no problem with this if it's true, but I
find it really hard to believe.

PM

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5944 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 55 of 88
05 February 2015 at 9:45am | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Now I'm going to be one of "those people"....

Today to my shock horror ;) (partially meant in jest partially not) I was overtaken by a BIG amount on the
overall leaderboard (not the language specific one). This person has now logged 90 hours of total language
study. I think it's fair to ask for this to be justified or adressed. How dare I be overtaken (runs off crying)... No
seriously 90hrs in 5 days? Ummm that's like 18 hours each day. I have no problem with this if it's true, but I
find it really hard to believe.

PM

First of all, thanks to you and others who have kindly explained how you've managed to log such impressive hours these past few days! It makes much more sense now, having read about your daily routine, learning that we've discarded the adjustment convention for films and TV, and also taking into account that some of you are in Australia and thus very far ahead (I'm on the west coast of the US).

Anyways, I do agree with you that it seems pretty much inhuman to have logged 90 hours already. Like you said, that would only leave six hours per day for sleep and any other non-language study-related activities. The majority of that person's study time is also tagged as "rest", so it's hard to tell what they've been doing exactly. I'm very skeptical of this score... I'd like to invite that person to do as several of you have done and explain how you've achieved such high numbers already.

EDIT: I just remember that it's possible to read users' tweets, and looking at what this particular user has tweeted seems to indicate that they're living in some kind of French immersion environment. They tweeted: "@6WCBot 5000 minutes #French radio life and school". This would certainly account for a higher number, but I wonder if people living in an immersion setting should be allowed to count essentially every waking hour as language study?

Edited by ellasevia on 05 February 2015 at 9:48am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6399 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 56 of 88
05 February 2015 at 11:29am | IP Logged 
Why would that be forbidden? If they are really B1 or less their brain must be boiling now.
Being in Russia I'm also ahead, and of course language learning is firmly ingrained into my lifestyle.

This discussion contains 88 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version