Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4721 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 65 of 88
11 February 2015 at 12:55am | IP Logged 
On a completely different question (and the actual reason I came on the forum this evening): has Twitter been hassling anyone else about their tweets? When I tweet for the 6wc or SC, I get a popup that says, "This request looks like it might be automated. To protect our users from spam and other malicious activity, we can't complete this action right now. Please try again later." I've tried changing the post in different ways, but it just won't accept it.
1 person has voted this message useful

redflag
Australia
Joined 3654 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 
Studies: Danish, Indonesian, French

Message 66 of 88
11 February 2015 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
YES JEFFERS. My twitter account got suspended an hour ago. I just tried to post a link to
an article I'd read, nothing spammy.   It asked me for my phone number to text a code to
unlock it, but the text never arrived. It's back working now though ...

I've also seen other people on twitter complaining about this just now so it's everyone.

ETA:
Twitter Support ‏@Support 3m3 minutes ago
We encountered an issue where some users were unable to Tweet and received a locked out
notice. This issue is now resolved.

Edited by redflag on 11 February 2015 at 1:27am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 67 of 88
11 February 2015 at 11:36am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:

I am among those who count films and TV, but we need to know that even watching stretches the definition of "studying" enough that Sprachprofi questioned it. Loads of us stuck up for films, and so she accepted them. If I remember correctly, the caveat was that you should count a percentage of things you're not fully focused on.

She accepted specifically counting 100%, since originally it was presumed that when you're watching a movie, you'll spend some of your focus on understanding the movie itself. Which isn't necessarily true because studying through movies often includes watching the ones you've seen before (and I personally pause if I need to think of something in my L1).
But there was never any doubt about whether watching can count at all. At least it was a very clear rule when I got back from my 2009-2011 hiatus.

Quote:
I haven't seen anyone tweeting "immersion", but that would clearly (emphasis mine - Serpent) stretch the definition of "studying" beyond recognition. Ultimately, "who cares?" is a good attitude to what you can't change. However, the 6wc is fun because it is competitive. Competition stops being fun when some participants don't play by the rules.

EDIT: here's another quote from the instruction page which is worth keeping in mind:
Quote:
For 60 minutes of studying to count as 60 minutes in this scoring, you have to be 100% focussed on learning your target language.
(The quote is in bold on the instruction page, so it might be important.)

Clearly to whom? In the SC threads I'm told repeatedly that if I want to count everything I do, I should gtfo and use the 6WC for that.
The quoted part hasn't been changed since this thread/poll. Where Volte raises legitimate concerns about classroom time and conversations, btw. And imo this applies to most coursebooks with L1 explanations too. I'll never agree that an hour with a typical textbook is anywhere near as useful as an hour of immersion.

Also, remember that you can even log the time you spend learning #Linguistics (although while you technically can sign up with this as your "target language", obviously you shouldn't).

edit: I read through the 2011 6WC threads and found this. That's consistent with how I was counting Polish #immersion (though I kept track of #talk separately, as well as of my total language learning in #Poland, both Polish and other languages). This still remains one of my best 6WC's along with November 2013 when I visited Malta (and logged MUCH less immersion, especially Italian). I did log 75 mins of Maltese immersion then but this averages out to less than 10 min per day.

Edited by Serpent on 11 February 2015 at 4:11pm

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4721 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 68 of 88
12 February 2015 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
Serpent, you and I can disagree till the cows come home about the meaning of words, but I don't actually disagree with what you have just written. In my post, however, I was referring to what ellesevia wrote in her post about immersion:
ellasevia wrote:
...I wonder if people living in an immersion setting should be allowed to count essentially every waking hour as language study?

I think I understand you as using the description given by Sprachprofi in her post that you linked to:
Quote:
As for the immersion situation, it should definitely count, just like having a long conversation counts. Just try to objectively estimate how much of that time you were talking or attentively listening to your target language.

So we are really writing about two different things. The version of immersion described by ellasevia is what I had in mind about stretching the definition of studying. The quote by Sprachprofi describes a method of studying. Most importantly, she again applies the "% focus = % time to tweet" rule. I wouldn't want people to think that they can spend a day somewhere and tweet every waking hour as #immersion.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 69 of 88
12 February 2015 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
If you're there alone and are constantly listening to what people say or read the street names/signs/advertising/, and in general are actively paying attention to what's going on around you, why not? That's what I did when I reported 17h after a day-trip to Wrocław (when I left at like 8am, got back at 5am and got almost no sleep on the train back as the people were discussing politics, the economic situation and whatnot). Of course it's nearly impossible to do in an unrelated language.

Edited by Serpent on 12 February 2015 at 7:38pm

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5120 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 70 of 88
12 February 2015 at 8:33pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
If you're there alone and are constantly listening to what people say or read the street names/signs/advertising/, and in general are actively paying attention to what's going on around you, why not?

And if not?

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 71 of 88
12 February 2015 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
Then count only the time you spend actually living and breathing your L2.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5954 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 72 of 88
13 February 2015 at 2:43am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
If you're there alone and are constantly listening to what people say or read the street names/signs/advertising/, and in general are actively paying attention to what's going on around you, why not? That's what I did when I reported 17h after a day-trip to Wrocław (when I left at like 8am, got back at 5am and got almost no sleep on the train back as the people were discussing politics, the economic situation and whatnot). Of course it's nearly impossible to do in an unrelated language.

In that case, I would support counting most or all of that time. I'm not really sure that things like reading street signs should count (just because they're usually short enough that the time spent reading them wouldn't amount to much more than a couple minutes per day), unless of course you spend a significant amount of time/effort specifically studying them and trying to understand, but certainly listening in on other peoples' conversations in a café or on a train would count. And I definitely think that makes sense if you're in the immersion environment for only a limited time, so that you can take full advantage of your situation, as well as being much easier to maintain that level of intensity.

However, I don't think that that necessarily describes the average person's immersion experience, especially if it's for longer than one day. Back in 2011, when I regularly tracked my study time, not just for the 6WC, but in general, I spent a month in Greece. I made a point to actually record how long I spent actively listening to and participating in conversations in Greek, or otherwise actively engaging with the Greek language. Perhaps surprisingly, it only amounted to a few hours per day. It's likely that the value of that immersion time was greater compared to the same amount of time spent using a coursebook or the like, but we're not talking about that. Likewise, even during the year I spent living and studying in Croatia, I doubt that I ever spent more than ~6-8 hours per day "actively immersed" in Croatian, in fact I can pretty much guarantee that. I suspect there were days when my Croatian immersion time even higher, but I doubt that I was actively focusing on learning it for even close to that whole time. Like I said above, it's much more plausible when it's a short-term immersion experience like your day-trip to Wrocław.

In any case, the person who posted the immersion time has since admitted that it wasn't true, so it's kind of a moot point now. But my original objection to counting that immersion time was the implausibility of having sustained that high level of intensity, the kind you did in Polish for one day, over multiple days.

Serpent wrote:
Also, remember that you can even log the time you spend learning #Linguistics (although while you technically can sign up with this as your "target language", obviously you shouldn't).

Really? I had no idea... I'm currently majoring in linguistics so I could theoretically count quite a bit of time for #Linguistics, but I find it a bit odd to log time I spend studying linguistics as "language study time". For example, I'm taking a phonetics class this semester and am currently doing a project on Hungarian for it, but I wouldn't count the time I spend working on that as either Hungarian study time or language study time in general since the goal is not the same as if I were actually studying Hungarian as a target language. Ah well, not that important.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 88 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version