Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

6 Week Challenge in May?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
220 messages over 28 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16 ... 27 28 Next >>
Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5170 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 121 of 220
02 May 2011 at 7:35pm | IP Logged 
JNetto wrote:
That is exactly what I did. I whole bunch of "Xmin" tags! My bad.

And about the possibility that "fuerte_viento" didn't sleep last night, I bed it's true!
... I didn't either! :)

We're supposed to sleep?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6259 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 122 of 220
02 May 2011 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
JNetto wrote:
That is exactly what I did. I whole bunch of "Xmin"
tags! My bad.

And about the possibility that "fuerte_viento" didn't sleep last night, I bed it's
true!
... I didn't either! :)

We're supposed to sleep?

Let's change the name to "How to obsessively learn any language". I'm struggling with
some kind of virus, have been sleeping enough for two.

As for the immersion situation, it should definitely count, just like having a long
conversation counts. Just try to objectively estimate how much of that time you were
talking or attentively listening to your target language.
1 person has voted this message useful

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5358 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew, Biblical Hebrew, Russian, French

Message 123 of 220
02 May 2011 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Slow and steady wins the race - at every such contest, people have been doing less and
less as time goes on. Plus, I have it on good authority that fuerte_viento didn't sleep
last night. Eventually she'll have to do so, then we can catch up ;-)

I know, seriously. get some sleep young lady. you're making us look bad :)

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4780 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 124 of 220
03 May 2011 at 1:06am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Reading all of your messages on Twitter is great. Gives me so many ideas for how to include language-learning in my day, or what approach to try next.

This is a cool challenge, and as a participant I'm not supposed to reveal my strategy. But as we're all here to learn, I'd like to share some ideas with you. Every day we have 24 hours, and we waste a lot of this "time credit". Since I bought my iPod 5 years ago, I always used it for learning purposes.

Look for free material on the web, such as videos, audio files, apps, etc. Download all you can get (which suits your needs), and put it on your iPod (or whatever device you'd like to use). Print out cue cards, memory posters, vocab "stickers", etc.
In the bathroom you could have a CD player where you could listen to CDs (your workbook CD in your target language or burn a CD yourself, with vocabulary, pronunciation exercises, etc. on it). Listen to it when taking a shower, brushing your teeth, having a bath...
When waiting for the bus and during your trip to university/work, you could look at your cue cards, flash cards on your phone, etc. to learn some vocabulary.
When you're hoovering/vacuum-cleaning, plug in your mp3-player and listen to audio-lessons.
While ironing turn on the news channel broadcasting in your target language and try to understand as much as you can.
What about watching films in your free time? Ok, but choose the soundtrack of the language you want to learn (if available). If you miss out the subtitles you'll be forced to recall some vocabulary ;-)
Change your e-mail (hotmail, gmail, etc.) surface to have the menu in your target language. Try to profit from everything!
Check the news online, but choose a site where you'll be able to read in your new language.
Use LingQ to get audio-files with transcriptions, and learn vocabulary with flash cards.
Look for foreign language podcasts. Check the iTunes-store. There are lots of free (language learning) podcasts. Here in the forum you'll find a list.
On Youtube there are some language courses. In this forum, you'll find a list.
Need a workout? Upload to your mp3-player an audio-book in your target language and listen to it at the gym.
Need to go to bed? Your iPod will help: Watch a YT video or listen to a (few) podcast episode(s) before falling asleep.

Every little bit helps. And when you need a break, just unwind and don't feel bad about it. ;-)
Good luck!

EDIT: Feel free to add your own suggestions! :-D

Edited by Mae on 03 May 2011 at 1:16am

6 persons have voted this message useful

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4780 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 125 of 220
03 May 2011 at 1:08am | IP Logged 
sorry, wrong button...

Edited by Mae on 03 May 2011 at 1:11am

Phantom Kat
Diglot
United States
Joined 4852 days ago

160 posts - 253 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Finnish

Message 126 of 220
03 May 2011 at 1:12am | IP Logged 
I only slept about two and half hours last night; I should have spent some time on reviewing Finnish grammar if I knew I was going to lose that much sleep. :/

As for me, I love using my I-Pod to listening to some Finnish songs and try to detect new grammar structures I've learned or new words. I love finding out something new in a song I've been listening for months. :)

- Kat
4 persons have voted this message useful

JNetto
Groupie
United States
verbumpopuli.blogspoRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4771 days ago

43 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC1

Message 127 of 220
03 May 2011 at 4:32am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Quote:
How can I delete tags which I accidentally created?

You cannot, sorry. This bot was programmed in 3 days, so it's missing a lot of functions.
I may just tell it to ignore 10min etc. tags in the counting.

Thanks for cleaning my tags up! It is much more understandable now!

Do you know why my entry wasn't accepted into the system? Here is the post:

".@6WCBot #Spanish #Conversation 3,5hours"

Thanks!

Edited by JNetto on 03 May 2011 at 4:34am

motanz
Diglot
MexicoRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5088 days ago

5 posts - 6 votes
Studies: Nahuatl, Spanish*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 128 of 220
03 May 2011 at 5:37am | IP Logged 
Well so, I'm in with Nahuatl!
How are we going to show our improvements?

This discussion contains 220 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version