Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

6 Week Challenge in May?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
220 messages over 28 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 25 ... 27 28 Next >>
datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5373 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 193 of 220
16 June 2011 at 5:36am | IP Logged 
I'll definitely be up for the one in august! I'm sad that I missed this one
1 person has voted this message useful

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6737 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 194 of 220
16 June 2011 at 11:27am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Probably in August. The Tadoku Challenge will be in July. They
originally came up with
the idea of having a Twitter bot track things.

Is the Tadoku Challenge also 6 weeks? And does it start at the beginning of every 3rd
month? If so, it seems that the next 6wc would have to start in August to prevent it from
overlapping with the Tadoku Challenge beginning in October. Between the two challenges we
could have a constant cycle going, with only a 1-2 week break in between (whew!)

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6258 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 195 of 220
16 June 2011 at 11:46am | IP Logged 
Lucky Charms wrote:
Sprachprofi wrote:
Probably in August. The Tadoku Challenge
will be in July. They
originally came up with
the idea of having a Twitter bot track things.

Is the Tadoku Challenge also 6 weeks? And does it start at the beginning of every 3rd
month? If so, it seems that the next 6wc would have to start in August to prevent it
from overlapping with the Tadoku Challenge beginning in October. Between the two
challenges we could have a constant cycle going, with only a 1-2 week break in between
(whew!)

The Tadoku Challenge lasts only one month. Sign-up for July has just started.
How to do Tadoku
How to sign up

In short, the Tadoku is about reading as much as possible in a foreign language in
which you're not yet fluent. Extensive reading shall give you a better feel for the
language and shall enable you to read more comfortably later. Originally this was an
idea for students of Japanese because it is notoriously difficult to start to read
stuff in Japanese (or Chinese for that matter). Apart from books, subtitles, video game
texts, song lyrics, websites and so on are all admissible. It's measured in pages, not
minutes (frustrating for my Chinese). The bot includes an algorithm to convert e. g.
subtitles to the equivalent amount of book pages, but you have to carefully tag
everything.

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5616 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 196 of 220
17 June 2011 at 3:18am | IP Logged 
I'm in an intensive summer language course at my university right now and will be until mid-august. If I do the
august 6WC, will I be allowed to count my course hours (4 hours per day) and homework? The course is almost
100% in Japanese, the homework as well, and I would adjust it if I felt there was a significant amount of English
involved in a particular exercise.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4697 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 197 of 220
19 June 2011 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
I may have missed it in a very long thread... are there directions for signing up for the 6-week challenge in August? I've just started French, will be on holiday most of August, so I'd love to have a go at it.

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5774 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 198 of 220
20 June 2011 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
Luai_lashire wrote:
I'm in an intensive summer language course at my university right now and will be until mid-august. If I do the
august 6WC, will I be allowed to count my course hours (4 hours per day) and homework? The course is almost
100% in Japanese, the homework as well, and I would adjust it if I felt there was a significant amount of English
involved in a particular exercise.

I think you can count whatever you like. The point is not really to get the highest score to beat everyone else, but to motivate yourself to do more than you otherwise would have. If having a record of other people's hours motivates you to do more, then it's working.

I'd say count your class time if you want to, but try to find a way to do more work at home and increase your score even more. Or you might want to consider only counting your work that you do outside of class in order to really push yourself to improve. Quite a few of the other people in the contest have a regular job every day, so their language hours are from their spare time after work. Counting your out-of-class time might be a better comparison with them.

In the end, though, you should just pick whatever you think will motivate you more, since that's our overall purpose.

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5046 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 199 of 220
20 June 2011 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
Personally, I didn't count class time or homework. It just felt like cheating because
it's something that I had to do rather than something I did of my own accord.
But the great thing about this challenge is, you can pretty much do it however you want
to. Like the person above me said, it's just meant to motivate you to do more than you
normally would.

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5770 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 200 of 220
20 June 2011 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
I think that if you are putting 100% effort into the class, you should claim 100% of the time. If you are drifting off, or the class is actually significantly below your level, perhaps you should adjust the time you claim?

This discussion contains 220 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version