Joined 6413 days ago

125 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 113
27 December 2006 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
Does anyone know any polygot under 18?
Like a teenager?

I was just wondering, because it seems like everyone here who is a polygot is over 20, and it would be nice to know that I am not the only teenager who wants to learn a language.

I sure hope I am not the youngest one here!
1 person has voted this message useful

Mikluho-Maklai
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6392 days ago

46 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: Ukrainian, Russian*, English, Italian
Studies: Japanese, French, Spanish, German

Message 2 of 113
28 December 2006 at 3:26am | IP Logged 
My girlfriend’s daughter, 14, native Ukrainian (speaks, writes), fluent in spoken Russian and Californian English teen-speak, as a child was exposed to quite a bit of French (basic passive comprehension) and now is trying to lean German on her own, while taking French in school. German is the first one that she’s trying to “learn” (listening to “Rammstein” over and over 24-7); the other languages she’s acquired via exposure. Not a bit interested in linguistics, though. For her, it’s a communication thing.
2 persons have voted this message useful

winters
Trilingual Heptaglot
Italy
Joined 6840 days ago

199 posts - 218 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, Serbian*, Russian*, English, Italian, Latin, Ancient Greek
Studies: Greek, French, Hungarian

Message 3 of 113
28 December 2006 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
Perhaps me? :-) I am 16 years old and I know several people of my age who could also be classified as "polyglots". It is not that common though - most of teenagers I know study few languages, but few are fluent in them.

Edited by winters on 28 December 2006 at 10:32am

johntothea
United States
Joined 6424 days ago

193 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Norwegian, Polish, French

Message 4 of 113
29 December 2006 at 1:37pm | IP Logged 
I'm 13 [turning 14 in january] and hopefully I'll be a decent polyglot by the time I'm 16 or 17 :]

Guido
Super Polyglot
ArgentinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6324 days ago

286 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, German, Italian, Portuguese, Norwegian, Catalan, Dutch, Swedish, Danish
Studies: Russian, Indonesian, Romanian, Polish, Icelandic

Message 5 of 113
10 January 2007 at 2:06am | IP Logged 
I'm 18 years old and i speak a total of 6 languages (counting my MotherTongue, Spanish). I speak: Spanish, English (lerned it at School for 12 years), German (since a year and half), French (since 3 months), Japanese (since 3 months) and Esperanto (I studied it a month ago, but the book of study wasn't fluently, so i left it). I leaned (and still lerning) French, German and Japanese with the books of Assimil (french-Spanish editorial)

This year (2007), I'll start the University, in the "Instituto de Enseñanza Superior de Lenguas Vivas Juan Ramón Fernandez" where I'll study the "German Translator career" (It the word "career" right?, I didnt really knew that word :P)

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6942 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 6 of 113
12 January 2007 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 
Guido wrote:
I'm 18 years old and i speak a total of 6 languages (counting my MotherTongue, Spanish).

Congratulations. I have enjoyed your posts.

Guido wrote:
This year (2007), I'll start the University, in the "Instituto de Enseñanza Superior de Lenguas Vivas Juan Ramón Fernandez" where I'll study the "German Translator career" (It the word "career" right?, I didnt really knew that word :P)

Maybe the word you want is profession?

japkorengchi
Hong Kong
Joined 6476 days ago

334 posts - 355 votes 

Message 7 of 113
13 January 2007 at 1:01am | IP Logged 
If we take 4 as the minimum requirement of being a polyglot, we can find some in multilingual cities or countries easily. I suspect we can find children speaking Cantonese, Mandarin, English and Portuguese in Macau, and children speaking Swedish, English, German and French in Sweden, etc. I am sure, however, these children will have a relatively strength and fluency in the various official languages in the multilingual areas.
2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6705 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 113
13 January 2007 at 5:41am | IP Logged 
My gut feeling is that it's more likely to find polyglot children in Macau than in Sweden, but that's perhaps just me. The level of foreign languages other than English (and even English) is probably overestimated.

This discussion contains 113 messages over 15 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version