Strategy: Learn 600 words a week.

Language Learning Forum : Questions About Your Target Languages Post Reply
167 messages over 21 pages: 1 2 3 46 7 ... 5 ... 20 21 Next >>
apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6438 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 33 of 167
05 October 2007 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
I just spent 10 minutes with 10 cards. I reviewed them twice each way (Gujarati>English twice, then English>Gujarati twice). So far, so good.

1 person has voted this message useful

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6145 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 34 of 167
05 October 2007 at 10:41am | IP Logged 
Leosmith: That little revised method of yours, have you tried it yourself? How can you know that reviewing more than twice a day is a waste of time?

BTW, I personally can't stand learning vocab from a computer screen. I have a hard time concentrating.

Edited by M. Medialis on 05 October 2007 at 10:41am

xtremelingo
Trilingual Triglot
Canada
Joined 6075 days ago

398 posts - 515 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hindi*, Punjabi*
Studies: German, French, Arabic (Written)

Message 35 of 167
05 October 2007 at 3:36pm | IP Logged 
Leosmith,

Quote:

Reviewing more than twice a day is a waste of time.

And this is your strategy? Hmmmmm...Real good advice. Don't review more than twice a day.

I would recommend review as much as possible, there's really no limit to review.

As for combining decks. Yes it is important to combine decks. Because in your 'revised' method, once you have reached to Deck J, there is a high chance you might forget the words from Deck A, because the 'older' decks are not being recalled.

My suggestion is simple. Memorize in small chunks of 10 and build up to 100 by combining decks, by building the accumulated deck non-linearly.

Combining decks allow progressive recall that will build up to the eventual 100 cards in small chunks of 10, 20, 40, 60 and 100.

It is much easier to learn new words in small chunks, master them, then combine with other smaller chunks to form bigger chunks to memorize.

xtremelingo
Trilingual Triglot
Canada
Joined 6075 days ago

398 posts - 515 votes 

Message 36 of 167
05 October 2007 at 4:21pm | IP Logged 
Leosmith,
Quote:

30-60 minutes? Is there anyone here who can even prepare the flashcards in that time? And what about review required for previous days cards? Experience tells me 3-6 hours is about right.

I clearly spelled out in the very first paragraph of this thread, that it requires inital preparation. For many of us, that have stacks and stacks of flashcards -- you are initially prepared. If you are not, then add the little bit of effort and make yourself prepared. Developing 100 flash cards is not a difficult thing to do, and you will actually get so much review just by actually making the cards themselves (which is part of the learning process in this method). Read the thread on "Reading using a Word Counter" to see how you can actually do this very quickly.

The 30-60 min is time you would use going through the flashcards, not making them.

Quote:

No thanks. I don't have that kind of time, and I'm not interested in learning 600 words out of context right now for the sole purpose of making me like you.

Don't do it for me. Do it for yourself then.

Quote:

How about being honest about the time it will take, modifying your review method so there isn't so much duplicate effort, and explaining how to maintain this over several days/weeks (which would include explaining the additional time it will take to review prior learnings)?

If you are initially prepared, then 30-60 minutes. But then again, this duration is based upon my learning ability with this method. If it takes you 3-6 hours, that is --you.

As for review: Read the thread carefully, you will see that after you have reviewed the first item on 200 cards. You will now add a 2nd item to these 200 cards underneath the 1st item, focus on the 2nd item while following the same memorization pattern/technique. You may either:

A) Try to do both 1st and 2nd item at the same time, and only proceed to the next deck after you got 100% on both.

B) Focus on the 2nd item, if you get it correctly, then focus on the 1st item and give yourself a bonus point. If you get the 1st item wrong more than 80% of the time, then re-do the whole deck again, until you have 80% on the 1st item and 100% on the 2nd item.

C) Focus on the 2nd item only, while only glancing at the first item (fastest way).

These are all just examples of way you can creatively review with this method.

Edited by xtremelingo on 05 October 2007 at 4:57pm

xtremelingo
Trilingual Triglot
Canada
Joined 6075 days ago

398 posts - 515 votes 

Message 37 of 167
05 October 2007 at 5:14pm | IP Logged 
Lloydkirk,
Quote:

Rubbish. Books in parallel text format are an excellent source for vocabulary acquisition and many forum members can attest to that.

Reading parallel texts, you are actually comparing and memorizing vocabulary. So you are actually studying vocabularly whether you like it or not.

Quote:

way to truly grasp words like these is to see them in context, either through books, newpapers, tv,etc..The script of language is irrelevant. Once your able to read the script,

Yes, in context is important. But reading parallel texts is still using comparing/memorization of target and native vocabularly/phrases.

I find it interesting that you are trying to promote that you can't study vocabulary, when you are actually doing just that.

The script of a language is very relevant! The only way to become better at reading script is by reading alot of the script. However, reading a script and not understanding what you are reading can make it very demotivating to actually learn how to read the script itself -- knowing a handful of words can make quite the difference! This is why knowing vocabulary is important. Read a book in Arabic to learn script, without knowing any vocabulary. I can bet you will get pretty tired of doing that after a while.

xtremelingo
Trilingual Triglot
Canada
Joined 6075 days ago

398 posts - 515 votes 

Message 38 of 167
05 October 2007 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
M. Medialis,

Quote:

BTW, I personally can't stand learning vocab from a computer screen. I have a hard time concentrating.

I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes I just like to take a hundred or so flashcards in the living room, lounge on the couch while watching tv and practice. I often learn so much this way.

HTale
Bilingual Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6166 days ago

164 posts - 167 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written)*
Studies: French

Message 39 of 167
05 October 2007 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
Guys, guys, calm down man. They're just flashcards. Jeez...incroyable. Personally, you need a bit of both. You need that initial boost, in order to pluck words from context. I never use flashcards that have my native language written on it; I attatch words to pictures (or pictures to words...). This way, I cut the middleman out in my thinking.

apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6438 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 40 of 167
05 October 2007 at 11:25pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:

It doesn't matter how you do it, preparing 100 paper flashcards from scratch for words you've never seen before will take a long time, probably more than an hour, maybe more than 2.

I was able to write out 86 flashcards in about 50 minutes this evening. And that's in Gujarati script, something I just learned. I could probably get 120-150 in an hour in, say, Icelandic or Spanish.

In any case, it's not like that's wasted time, since I'm not only getting to view the words for the first time and spend some time getting used to them, I'm getting to write them out, helping to attach them in my mind (a bonus is also getting to practice the script itself).

I do use computer programs for other languages, since I'm at a higher level and don't need to practice writing or otherwise ease into a language, but this one affords me more advantages. If I cut and paste these into a SRS, (though I couldn't because they're in a book) I might gain a quite a few hours initially, but I'll have to view these words for the first time sometime, so, to me, it's a wash in terms of time.

Finally, the portability aspect, which has already been discussed.

Anyways, to each his/her own!

This discussion contains 167 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version