Language Learning Forum : Questions About Your Target Languages Post Reply
167 messages over 21 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 20 21
xtremelingo
Trilingual Triglot
Canada
Joined 6072 days ago

398 posts - 515 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hindi*, Punjabi*
Studies: German, French, Arabic (Written)

Message 161 of 167
17 October 2007 at 10:52am | IP Logged 
Frankled,

For sure. I use pop-up dictionaries like WordReference. No doubt. They are great.

You can use word-frequency counters on offline/print media as well.

Use OCR on your scanner, and scan print into digital text, voila!

But, the reason why I find memorizing first helpful is the ability to develop a fluid image in my head as I read. The fluency of that image breaks up when I have to stop to define a word. If I have memorized the words initially, that image in my head makes itself much more vibrant. It is important as your reading, to read smoothly.
1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6335 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 162 of 167
26 October 2007 at 10:24am | IP Logged 
edwin wrote:
Being inspired by the method posted in this thread, I am going to purpose yet another vocabulary building method. You are going to learn 700 words per week!

1) Pick 100 words randomly from a dictionary of your target language

2) Bake 100 cookies and engrave one word onto one cookie. Do this for all cookies.

3) Pick up 1 cookie at a time, read out the word on it, then eat it

4) Eat all 100 cookies

5) Do it everyday

I believe by eating the word literally, you are going to memorize it forever.

As you can see, the set-up time is huge, but that's irrelevant. It is only a one-time thing (per day). The actual time you spend is when you are eating the cookies. If you eat 5 cookies per minute, it will only take you 20 minutes each day.

I actually did some research and published a paper for my master thesis many years ago. But unfortunately, it is not related to this method. In fact, it is totally unrelated to language learning.

If you find other research which potentially undermine this method, I can tell you (without reading those research) that they are totally unreliable. Don't trust them! Trust me!

Yes, trust me! No need to argue with me now. Try it out first before you comment on my method. In fact, I won't be replying to anyone who has not tried my method.

Please don't forgot to report to me your progress everyday.

Is that newsletter still being worked on? I'd like to nominate this as post of the month. Hilarious and delicious!

leosmith
United States
Joined 6335 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 

Message 163 of 167
26 October 2007 at 10:33am | IP Logged 
Linguamor wrote:
xtremelingo wrote:
Linguamor,
Quote:

In most cases it is better to get beginners speaking sooner, and in my experience this is also what most beginners want. Beginners can begin speaking almost immediately using comprehensible input and directed output techniques.

Interesting. This was one of the first things I suggested when I came to this forum. However, I received criticism for trying to promote beginners to speak sooner --

I think the main opposition to your suggestion was that people felt that you were encouraging learners to communicate without regard to the accuracy of the language the learners were producing.

Also, xtremelingo seemed to be encouraging the teacher to use incorrect simplified language, rather than correct simplified language. But I totally agree with speaking early and often.

Edited by leosmith on 26 October 2007 at 10:34am

leosmith
United States
Joined 6335 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 

Message 164 of 167
26 October 2007 at 10:42am | IP Logged 
xtremelingo wrote:

Boeing. has. taken. of. delay. in. manufacture. of. sound. plane. of. line. of. news. generation.

I designed the lower wing skins of that plane, and follow it's developement occasionally. I wasn't aware of the delay. But I couldn't figure out the gist of your sentence. If it was in a language I was learning, rather than english, I might be able to figure it out.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6460 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 165 of 167
26 October 2007 at 10:56am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
But I totally agree with speaking early and often.

I agree as well.
I learn vocabulary faster if I speak.

Why?

Because I am aware of my lack of vocabulary and I am more motivated to learn words I need.

If I receive feedback about my grammar, pronunciation and vocabulary after speaking, much better. It's the equivalent to proofreading.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Kugel
United States
Joined 6323 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 

Message 166 of 167
25 November 2007 at 11:30am | IP Logged 
Xtremelingo, that is an interesting theory with 600 words per week. I think the mind can accomplish more in mnemonics, though. There are programs out there on the market that have audio and animation for aids in memorization; and in addition, a sensible reviewing algorithm(1 day, 1 week, 1 month, and 3 months.)

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6057 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 167 of 167
23 November 2015 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
Just a bump to this interesting if also elderly thread.

This discussion contains 167 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version