Bilingual Hexaglot
Sweden
Joined 5546 days ago

20 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: Portuguese, Belarusian*, Russian*, English, Spanish, Norwegian
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Armenian, Kazakh

Message 74 of 130
24 August 2009 at 1:06am | IP Logged 
In my opinion Japanese is, not to say easy, not as difficult as Korean is. So my answer is Korean.
1 person has voted this message useful

lancemanion
Triglot
United States
Joined 5362 days ago

150 posts - 166 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Thai
Studies: French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 75 of 130
24 August 2009 at 1:51am | IP Logged 
Interesting. I wonder how long it would take to learn to read and write Korean.

Z.J.J
China
Joined 5398 days ago

243 posts - 305 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*

Message 76 of 130
24 August 2009 at 4:36am | IP Logged 
I voted for Arabic, because none of the listed is very difficult for me to learn, except Arabic, and as for a language not listed here, perhaps I would vote for Finnish or Hebrew.

lancemanion
Triglot
United States
Joined 5362 days ago

150 posts - 166 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Thai
Studies: French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 77 of 130
25 August 2009 at 1:32am | IP Logged 
I just read the first post again. Sure enough, it says for an English speaker.

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5840 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog
Studies: Ancient Greek, Japanese

Message 78 of 130
25 August 2009 at 8:21am | IP Logged 
I think FSI already solved this problem for us, because like people have mentioned, Japanese is the hardest on their list, as determined by difficulty for native English speakers.

I think it also depends on how FAR you want to go into the language. Of course, learning any of these languages into the highest levels of fluency would be an incredible achievement, but I think that Chinese should stand out here.

At the beginning, it doesn't seem that Chinese is that difficult, due to the simple grammar. Most learners start with pinyin, etc, so the reading isn't an issue, let alone writing. I think that any of the others would be much more intimidating to the learner at the beginner's stage.

Things start warming up later on. If you have an idea to move to the highest levels of fluency in Chinese, you'll find that the more you go along, the harder it becomes, the less and less logical it is, and I see no limit as of yet.   You realize that although Chinese has fewer grammar rules, it just has tons of sentence forms and vocab that you must use to convey the idea, that a rule would have conveyed in another language, so the lack of rules is actually a difficulty. Spanish, with more "grammar" is kindergarten compared to Chinese which has "simple grammar". It is true that the some of the vocab is somewhat easy to deduce based on other words you already know IN context. However, the usages and quirks of Chinese words, sometimes with multiple unrelated grammar functions, often defy all logic, and simply must be memorized by brute force. From the production point of view,( at high level) this is bad news.

I haven't even gotten to the characters. People mention that you have to learn 2000 characters. I know more than 2000 characters and must rely on a dictionary as I plod along in a romance novel. Forget anything technical. If you are thinking fluent in all 4 skills, you are looking at 4000+ characters to begin to read fluently, IMO. Oh, and writing the 4000+ characters...fluenty? How about reading peoples' handwriting, which is nothing like how the characters look in your textbook.

Finally, the dialects and accents of China will require you to understand very strange accents, yes, Mandarin accents that you have never studied in class before, if you want to really be fluent in listening. To tone deaf people, this is going to be even more of a nightmare.

I can't speak for the other languages, but although I am sure they are all very difficult to get to high levels of fluency, Chinese to me, must surpass the others if we are talking about high fluency, all 4 skills. Just my opinion that is subject to change :)

Edited by irrationale on 25 August 2009 at 8:29am

Paramecium
Tetraglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5502 days ago

46 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Russian
Studies: Japanese

Message 79 of 130
25 August 2009 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
Whats about the languages from the caucasus? Some like Tsez language have 64 cases.

FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6655 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 80 of 130
25 August 2009 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
I have heard that Navajo is extraordinarily difficult for non-speakers to learn. It was/is so difficult, the US Army used it for codes.

You can hear a Navajo tongue-twister

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZN_KXMyPeI&feature=related

This discussion contains 130 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version