solidsnake
Diglot
China
Joined 6830 days ago

469 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 33 of 130
13 October 2007 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
Why isnt Cantonese on here? It might not necessarily have as many different readings of a single character as Japanese, but MANY different usages for even a single word that can be used in so many different contexts. It uses traditional characters, plus an additional 100 or so of their own, and perhaps most importantly, the fewest learning materials of all four languages listed in the poll. (at least for english speakers, luckily there is quite an abundance of mandarin->canto material).

From the trend in this poll, it seems as if the majority believes that grammar is ultimately the determining point in what makes a language difficult or not.

Edited by solidsnake on 13 October 2007 at 8:36pm

1 person has voted this message useful

El Forastero
Pentaglot
Colombia
alijunakai.blogspot.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6058 days ago

186 posts - 228 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Portuguese, FrenchB1, EnglishC1, Italian
Studies: German

Message 34 of 130
13 October 2007 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
I have a question to people who learn mandarin, cantonese, japanese, arabic or korean with Pimsleur method:

After 90 units (30 minutes each one), can you speak with an intermediate level and understand some native speakers if they speak a bit slowly?

Someones have focused in grammar to explain why to vote for a language as the hardest to learn, but you don’t have to know grammar to obey grammar. Pimsleur method don't teach grammar, although you can talk and understand other people.

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6683 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 35 of 130
13 October 2007 at 7:29pm | IP Logged 
My vote goes to "a language not listed here".

Even though my only information on it was a web article that was referenced here in an earlier thread, I feel fairly confident that the most difficult has to be that indigenous tribal language in the Amazonas, Parah or something I think it was called, where even expert linguists had great difficulties after living with the tribe for a decade or two.

Edited by Hencke on 13 October 2007 at 7:55pm

El Forastero
Pentaglot
Colombia
alijunakai.blogspot.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6058 days ago

186 posts - 228 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Portuguese, FrenchB1, EnglishC1, Italian

Message 36 of 130
13 October 2007 at 10:51pm | IP Logged 
You're Right, Hencke: They are the Pirahã. You can read here what wikipedia says, and Here an Spanish article about it.

The biggest difficulty is the absolute absence of subordinated sentences

El Gringo
Groupie
United States
Joined 6049 days ago

65 posts - 93 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 37 of 130
13 October 2007 at 11:25pm | IP Logged 
El Forastero wrote:
You're Right, Hencke: They are the Pirahã. You can read here what wikipedia says, and Here an Spanish article about it.

The biggest difficulty is the absolute absence of subordinated sentences

Wow, that is some wild and primitive stuff.
Did you read the article on the actual people? They have no concept of God or Religion, take short naps during the day and never sleep at night and abstain from eating food.
They live in like a different world.
2 persons have voted this message useful

FSI
United States
Joined 6148 days ago

550 posts - 590 votes 

Message 38 of 130
13 October 2007 at 11:36pm | IP Logged 
El Forastero wrote:
Here an Spanish article about it.

This was a very interesting article. I went to Dan's page and read a bit more about him there. In his CV, I noticed another example of what I wrote about in the thread concerning making money with polyglottery. He learned Portuguese to near-native levels (and obtained a terminal degree in Brazil) and speaks Pirahã fluently, but that's where he left things. He's studied dozens of other languages and has likely achieved admirable results in them, but the magic number "3" pops up again in terms of true, honest-to-God, 7-days a week and 24-hours a day-type fluency. Ditto with Ken Hale, and other folks I've come across. There is something quite admirable to be said for learning a few things very well, as opposed to learning various things to comparatively small degrees. The further along I go in this great language adventure, the more I find myself at home in the former camp (quality) over the latter (quantity). Now I just have to work on the "really well" part.

El Gringo wrote:
Wow, that is some wild and primitive stuff.

Speaking of reading the article itself...

Quote:
Ante tantas “limitaciones” del lenguaje de los ‘cabezas rectas’, es inevitable preguntarse si no es una discapacidad lo que define a estos indios. “Nadie debería extraer la conclusión de que el lenguaje Pirahã es primitivo —escribe Everett—. Tiene la morfología verbal más compleja de la que yo sea consciente y un perturbadoramente complicado sistema prosódico. Los Pirahã son la gente más brillante, agradable y divertida que conozco.

La ausencia de ficción formal, mitos, etcétera, no significa que no jueguen, mientan o no puedan hacerlo. De hecho, disfrutan mucho haciéndolo, particularmente a mis expensas, siempre con buena intención. Cuestionar las implicaciones de la lengua Pirahã para el diseño del lenguaje humano no equivale a cuestionar su inteligencia o la riqueza de su conocimiento y experiencia cultural”.

We'd do well on this forum to take the last sentence in particular to heart.

Edited by FSI on 13 October 2007 at 11:39pm

El Gringo
Groupie
United States
Joined 6049 days ago

65 posts - 93 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 39 of 130
13 October 2007 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
EDIT: Nevermind, I understand it and agree with it.
I was just saying that they seem to embrace a more primitive lifestyle.

Edited by El Gringo on 13 October 2007 at 11:44pm

delectric
Diglot
China
Joined 6970 days ago

608 posts - 733 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 40 of 130
13 October 2007 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
Jiwon wrote:
I voted for "a language not listed here". As I mentioned so many times before, the "big hurdle" for me was learning English, my first foreign language as well as the first IE language. I possibly couldn't vote for Korean when it is my native language, and especially when I'm trying to make the language look more "possible".

However, other than English, there ARE much more difficult languages out there. Just try Papua New Guinea and Brazil for unbelievable linguistic diversity comprising of languages with bizarre grammatical elements such as OSV word order. :-)

Why is OSV order considered so difficult? Change the order of the sentence it's not that much of a difficult concept to get round. Well just my opinion.

This discussion contains 130 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version