Sweden
Joined 5545 days ago

20 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: Portuguese, Belarusian*, Russian*, English, Spanish, Norwegian
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Armenian, Kazakh

Message 81 of 130
25 August 2009 at 7:35pm | IP Logged 
lancemanion wrote:
Interesting. I wonder how long it would take to learn to read and write Korean.

Actually learning the Korean alphabet, Hangeul, is not the issue it's quite easy unless you attempt the other alphabet, Hanjas, which are Chinese characters. There are 14 basic consonants and 10 basic vowels. It is the grammar and the unique sounds which I think is the one of the hardest, even though it is not tonal. Taken from this forum's language index:

"Korean conjugation is very complex, with every verb having more than 600 possible different endings depending on degree of politeness, age and seniority. Most learners concentrate one one standard textbook politeness form.

Korean adjectives are also conjugated, with more than 500 possible endings."
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5800 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 82 of 130
25 August 2009 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
Having only attempted to learn a quarter of a percent of the world's languages so far, I don't think I can comment.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Gilgamesh
Tetraglot
England
Joined 6031 days ago

452 posts - 468 votes 
14 sounds
Speaks: Dutch, English, German, French
Studies: Polish

Message 83 of 130
25 August 2009 at 10:46pm | IP Logged 
Really sorry to nag here, but one thing is getting on my nerves... It's that people think Arabic is written without any vowels; it's just the short vowels that are not (usually) marked... Therefore, writing all those funny-looking texts in English without vocals to demonstrate a point is a bit ridiculous; also, Arabic has a root-based system and a structure that go well with this.
1 person has voted this message useful

james1
Korea, South
Joined 5413 days ago

121 posts - 145 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 84 of 130
26 August 2009 at 4:08am | IP Logged 
Hearing Korean can be very difficult.
Barry Farber and Dr. Arguelles have said something about the difficulty of Korean.

Example:
이런 종류의 영화
If an English speaker heard 종류의, he would be totally lost.

So, if I were watching TV and heard this I would hear
이런 ---- 영화
Because I cannot hear it, I cannot look it up in a dictionary.
I do know the word, I still miss it, because it is so hard to hear.

This happens all the time in Korean, the sounds are just hard to hear, and can really slow down the learning process.

Also,
Koreans will not understand if you make mistakes.
들, 돌, 덜, to an English speaker sound very similar, so often, English speakers focus on the consonant sounds. However, it all has to be pronunced perfect. A small mistake in the vowel sound means something totally different.

Edited by james1 on 26 August 2009 at 4:28am

formiko
Nonaglot
United States
Joined 6000 days ago

848 posts - 855 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Esperanto, Indonesian, Yoruba, Cherokee, Russian, German, French
Studies: Mandarin, Ancient Greek

Message 85 of 130
27 August 2009 at 5:17am | IP Logged 
While I learned Biblical Hebrew (not spoken though) it wasn't too hard, and the modern version is much easier grammatically. How different could it be from Arabic? They're both Semitic. But in my opinion, since Native American Indian languages are my specialty, Navajo is high on the list. My native Cherokee is easier than Navajo!. But the hardest that I'm familiar with would HAVE to be ANY Salishan language. They can make a grown man cry. They are so alien, even for a Native American language, I'm shocked they communicated at all!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ohhH4riYFg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRaTyIXsut

I just have to put a linkto Cherokee :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecm_DIpocI0&feature=related

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5555 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 86 of 130
27 August 2009 at 6:17am | IP Logged 
I never knew Cherokee was tonal! It really sounds beautiful.

Back to topic; what does make a language difficult to learn?
An alien grammar that uses a lot of possibilities not used by one's native or fluent languages.
A phonetic inventory that puts emphasis on different possibilities (e.g. a tonal inventory with few vowels and consonants and high tolerance for variation in those vs one with a lot of different vowels and consonants and possible syllables but high tolerance for non-standard pitch and prosody.)
The new language perusing a multitude of culture-specific concepts that are unknown to the learner.
A refined system of registers and maybe taboos which substitutes words that do not in any ways seem related to each other.
Few or no cognates or leanwords from known languages.
A high number of words that are linked one way or another and don't show it (king, queen, royal), vocabulary that does not transfer the meaning from one situation to another, similar one.
A writing system that requires good command of the spoken language before you csn learn the written language well.
Scarce material or possibility to learn.

For native English speakers maybe a polysynthetic, tonal language from a non-agricultural tribe should be a challenge. Let's add a sacral language which also has to be understood (though not mastered), because it defines the rules how you are allowed to speak about the dead, about some aspects of the future or about people whom you have to show your respect, and the writing system also is based on that sacral language. Oh, and many of the younger generation no not speak it fluently any more.
How does this sound? (And yes I know I probably used some wrong words again.)

Edited by Bao on 27 August 2009 at 6:19am

deniz2
Groupie
TurkeyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4941 days ago

53 posts - 62 votes 

Message 87 of 130
18 October 2010 at 1:48pm | IP Logged 
The discussion here is nonsense. Unless you learn the entire grammars and the writings to a useable level (if not all the characters) you do not have the right to vote. So as long as I can see no one knows all the languages and even these 4 languages. I know French and German. So I can compare only these two. The US government classified French as 1st degree (easiest) and German as 2nd degree. I disagree. It is just the opposite for me. There is nothing complex in French as much as the noun declension of German but one needs a good memory to memorize the irregular verb conjugations and their writings. While comparing German with French most people don’t rate the writing of the irregular verbs. So grammar plus writing in French can easily take more time than German’s grammar. The writing in German has zero difficulty. But I would never advise German to a person who has no math mind. He had better study French then.

zamie
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5042 days ago

83 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Modern Hebrew

Message 88 of 130
18 October 2010 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
Mathematics -)

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 130 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version