Triglot
United States
Joined 6646 days ago

380 posts - 398 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Italian, Turkish, Mandarin

Message 41 of 130
14 October 2007 at 1:04am | IP Logged 
The title should probably read "most difficult language of 100 million speakers or more" because there are many more languages out there that have extremely exotic grammatical features and sounds. Navajo scares me every time I look at it.
1 person has voted this message useful

skeeterses
United States
angelfire.com/games5Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6408 days ago

302 posts - 356 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, Spanish

Message 42 of 130
14 October 2007 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
Some people on this bulletin board have pointed out the old saying, "The most difficult language is the one you've never tried to learn." With that anecdote in mind, I'll probably go for the CJK(Chinese, Japanese, Korean) challenge after I finish learning Korean. If I ever accomplish that kind of challenge, I can say that I'll have a good answer for most-difficult language 15 years from now.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6062 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 43 of 130
14 October 2007 at 7:10am | IP Logged 
skeeterses wrote:
Some people on this bulletin board have pointed out the old saying, "The most difficult language is the one you've never tried to learn." With that anecdote in mind, I'll probably go for the CJK(Chinese, Japanese, Korean) challenge after I finish learning Korean. If I ever accomplish that kind of challenge, I can say that I'll have a good answer for most-difficult language 15 years from now.

That may be true. I have learned a little Arabic and would say that it is a difficult language but I feel there are more difficult ones out there. I have read about the features of Japanese, Chinese and Korean and they seem to me more difficult, but it is also true that I have made no attempt to study them, whereas Arabic has lost a little of its mystique through a little familiarity.

owshawng
United States
Joined 6676 days ago

202 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 44 of 130
14 October 2007 at 10:18am | IP Logged 
El Forastero wrote:
I have a question to people who learn mandarin, cantonese, japanese, arabic or korean with Pimsleur method:

After 90 units (30 minutes each one), can you speak with an intermediate level and understand some native speakers if they speak a bit slowly?

I did all 90 lessons for mandarin and no, you don't speak at an intermediate level. It covered 400 to 500 words, but several of them were useless like "microphone", "admiring flowers" and such. It was good for improving my pronounciation. If native speakers spoke slowly I could understand some of the words and a few phrases, but was no where near conversational.   Native speakers could understand me, but they tended to think i knew a lot more since my pronounciation was pretty good.

I think all 3 mandarin levels are equal to about the first 30 or so lessons of Assimil's Chinese with ease (106 lessons over 2 volumes).

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6684 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 45 of 130
14 October 2007 at 11:21am | IP Logged 
owshawng wrote:
El Forastero wrote:
I have a question to people who learn mandarin, cantonese, japanese, arabic or korean with Pimsleur method:

After 90 units (30 minutes each one), can you speak with an intermediate level and understand some native speakers if they speak a bit slowly?

I did all 90 lessons for mandarin and no, you don't speak at an intermediate level.

Same here and I agree. Imho I was not even at a high beginner lever after the 90 lessons, maybe mid-beginner or something. But it does give you a good base to build on.

owshawng wrote:
I think all 3 mandarin levels are equal to about the first 30 or so lessons of Assimil's Chinese with ease (106 lessons over 2 volumes).

I have the Assimil series but I haven't used it consistently, just fooled around with it a little. Still I personally estimate Pimsleur higher than you do.

Comparing total vocabulary does not necessarily give you the right picture either. Each vocabulary item that comes up in Pimsleur is banged in time and again over two to four consecutive lessons (EDIT: and in varying contexts too), and then it will pop up again a few times, some five to ten lessons later for reinforcement. You can't really compare that to a word like kuzi = trousers, fleetingly being mentioned once in one of the early Assimil lessons, never to be heard of again in the rest of the program.

Edited by Hencke on 14 October 2007 at 11:53am

jimbo
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6084 days ago

469 posts - 642 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 46 of 130
14 October 2007 at 12:29pm | IP Logged 
I've never studied Arabic so I can't comment on that. I have spent a lot of time on Chinese, Japanese, and Korean.
Way back I tried a bit of Cantonese. (Really hope to get back to that someday...)

The hardest by far for me is Taiwanese (i.e. Minnan with a twist). Tone sandhi. Ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch. The pain
never ends. I just can't get anywhere with this language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tone_sandhi

solidsnake
Diglot
China
Joined 6831 days ago

469 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 47 of 130
14 October 2007 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
jimbo- I'd actually like to hear your opinion on which of the three you think is the most difficult: Japanese, korean, or CANTONESE?

Also, have you attempted vietnamese at all? Thoughts?

jimbo
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6084 days ago

469 posts - 642 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 48 of 130
14 October 2007 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
Sorry, I haven't really looked at Cantonese for like fifteen years so my comments on that are probably not of
much value. For me, it just seemed to be fun and seemed to stick in my head better than Taiwanese. (Taiwanese
is fun too, I just can't get anywhere with the language.)

I think that since you speak Mandarin, Cantonese would be a lot easier than either Korean or Japanese.

I haven't tried Vietnamese (yet?) but I've started gathering materials. Last year I had a connecting flight that went
through Hanoi. Kind of a neat place with decent bookstores. I even scored some books of Tang poetry in Chinese
but with the Vietnamese pronunciation of characters listed followed by a translation into modern Vietnamese.
Looks like there is lots of fun that could be had with that.

On the other hand, I ran into a ton of Koreans and a fair number of Japanese people in Hanoi during my brief
stay so it isn't like they are useless. Also, there was a suprising number of books in Vietnamese teaching
KOREAN.

This discussion contains 130 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version