United States
Joined 6492 days ago

621 posts - 808 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Indonesian, Japanese

Message 57 of 130
03 November 2007 at 5:19am | IP Logged 
Karakorum wrote:
I've heard this opinion from many people familiar with both Mandarin and Japanese. I still don't get why though, given that Japanese has a much smaller sound inventory and no tones. The only explanation I heard is that Japanese writing is more ad-hoc, make shift, and mixed up causing a lot more confusion and hardship than Kanji alone. I also heard that Japanese grammar, though not particularly hard, is less intuitive than Mandarin. Politeness registers is another reason often quoted but I thought all three Asian languages had some form of politeness integrated in grammar.

Japanese having some sort of inflections makes its grammar much more difficult than Chinese, which has no inflections. Japanese also has the disadvantage of having a number of forms for verbs and adjectives which simply have to be memorized, with always adds to a language's complexity.

There is also the fact that Japanese has long words which tend to sound alike to an outsider. One of the sentences from Pimsleur that always stood out in this regard was "Jikan ga kakarimasu kara," which means "because it takes time." The learner's head is swimming in a sea of kas.

And the politeness forms in Japanese are much more present than in Mandarin, especially the way Japanese tends to be taught (polite --> plain). Mandarin's politeness is more similar to English, where it is a matter of vocabulary. While the same could be argued about Japanese, the politeness levels are usually taught immediately at a basic level, which cannot be transferred to normal, casual conversation, and that is another thing that makes learners view ti as much more difficult.
1 person has voted this message useful

xtremelingo
Trilingual Triglot
Canada
Joined 6077 days ago

398 posts - 515 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hindi*, Punjabi*
Studies: German, French, Arabic (Written)

Message 58 of 130
04 November 2007 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
Depends on your bias.

From an IE community, I find the sounds and script of Arabic very familiar and recognizable.

Personally, I would think one of the "Chinese-type" languages would be difficult for me, because the sound system is completely different to what I am used too.

I think the allure with Arabic is that it does have a very different looking script, it is also writiten from right to left (which scares some people), and the language has been popularized lately by media and war. It also has a very distinct sound compared to other popular languages that our European counterparts aren't quite used too, therefore it APPEARS to be difficult. A possibly it's difficulty only appears difficult because it has been popularized by threads such as these ones to be difficult.

Personally, I don't think anything is difficult until you've actually tried it yourself and can confidently say you were unsuccessful. Until then, you will never know. Who knows, you might have a knack or special gift for picking up Arabic than you expected!

LilleOSC
United States
lille.theoffside.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6481 days ago

545 posts - 546 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 59 of 130
05 November 2007 at 4:41pm | IP Logged 
236factorial wrote:
   I believe that it takes most Chinese students (in China, that is) 5-6 years to achieve a reasonable command over writing the language, ie. the first 2500-3000 most common characters; reading comes faster.

Aren't there less common characters in Japanese?

Walshy
Triglot
Australia
Joined 6732 days ago

335 posts - 365 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German

Message 60 of 130
09 November 2007 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
Karakorum wrote:
Walshy wrote:
According to the US FSI, Japanese is the most difficult of the listed languages, but I believe there are other languages like Basque, Piraha and some Native American languages which are yet more difficult.

I've heard this opinion from many people familiar with both Mandarin and Japanese. I still don't get why though, given that Japanese has a much smaller sound inventory and no tones. The only explanation I heard is that Japanese writing is more ad-hoc, make shift, and mixed up causing a lot more confusion and hardship than Kanji alone. I also heard that Japanese grammar, though not particularly hard, is less intuitive than Mandarin. Politeness registers is another reason often quoted but I thought all three Asian languages had some form of politeness integrated in grammar.

I don't know the logic behind it, but the FSI has based this decision, that Japanese is the most difficult on the list, on statistics from their classes and students who are studying a whole range of languages, and so it really is the most reasonable conclusion that we can draw.

ttisha448
United States
Joined 6043 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English

Message 61 of 130
11 November 2007 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
I think that the most difficult language I heard of is one from Indonesia.My appologies I cannot renember the name but I know that it is spoken from the back of the throat.

jimbo
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6084 days ago

469 posts - 642 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 62 of 130
11 November 2007 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 
There are so many languages in Indonesia that it would not surprise me if they had both the world's easiest and the most difficult spoken language. Heck, they even had hobbits:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/10/1027_041027_ homo_floresiensis.html

Bojan
Bilingual Pentaglot
Germany
Joined 6014 days ago

35 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: Croatian, Serbian, Slovenian*, German*, English

Message 63 of 130
12 November 2007 at 4:21pm | IP Logged 
I guess its Icelandic and Hungarian.

icing_death
United States
Joined 5651 days ago

296 posts - 302 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 64 of 130
21 March 2009 at 9:54am | IP Logged 
Japanese by a hair over Mandarin. For those who voted for Korean - you've got to be kidding. It takes so long to get fluent reading/writing Japanese or Chinese, they easily blow away any other language. Arabic is probably pretty tough, since one really needs to learn 2 languages to become fluent.

This discussion contains 130 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version