futurianus
Korea, South
starlightonclou
Joined 4759 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: Korean*

Message 81 of 108
08 December 2011 at 4:20am | IP Logged 
Wendy Vo as a representative of "panglot and panglotism: new type of polyglotism"

There is so much lack of information about her for after 2008. It is as if her parents want to protect her from the overexposure and some of the overly critical responses.

----------

I have mentioned Wendy Vo as a representative of a new generation of young polyglots, who will rise up in our ever acceleratingly globalizing and networked planet, in my thread on "panglot and panglotism: new type of polyglotism".

She is the most appropriate and unique representative, not so much because she has acquired many languages, but more so 1) because of the global spectrum of her languages and
2) because of the degree of native-like assimilation of those languages due to her having acquired them at such a young age.

There were some matters I wanted to discuss about Wendy and I have laid some foundation for doing so in my thread on 'panglotism'. I think that the true significance of her within the wider context of our time and coming new world can be discussed more fully within the framework of 'globalglotism' and 'panglotism'.

There are so many important significant matters that should be discussed about her.

I find it difficult to make time to write here, but I would like to take this opportunity to leave some statements.

Wendy's parents have raised such a lovely child in a way that has shaped her to become one of the great models and prototypes of the future generations, that will inspire and encourage countless children and adults to learn other languages and some even to pursue polyglotism and translingualism.

I greatly value the precious gift within her, which partakes of the nature of the power of futurity, which is bringing our fragmented humanity into an organically interconnected whole.

With great admiration and benedictions....

Edited by futurianus on 08 December 2011 at 2:35pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Carisma
Diglot
Argentina
Joined 5372 days ago

104 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC1
Studies: Italian, Mandarin

Message 82 of 108
26 December 2011 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
Her Spanish is very good! She has some trouble with her rs, but she has her native-like
moments.
And it is also pretty impressive, given as she is very young. Just imagine what she is
going to be like 10 years from now!
1 person has voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4880 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 83 of 108
26 December 2011 at 11:49pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:

Please feel free to name any celebrity child prodigy from the last 50 years who has gone on to do well. There's a big difference in the names on the list of famous child geniuses and the list of famous adult geniuses.

Even though this is an old post, I'd like to respond to this particular claim.

While they may not have been "prodigies", rather pushed into their profession by their parents, I can think of several child actors that later went on to become highly successful in their industry, other used-up child stars notwithstanding.

This little girl may choose to focus on only one or two languages later in life and become very successful. Or music. Who knows? But she's had a significant amount of exposure to choose what she'll do as an adult. As long as the seed is planted and this child goes on to do great things with what she's been dealt, I see absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Also, I tend to really dislike the term "prodigy". It's highly overused, in my opinion.

R.
==

bluecollar
Groupie
United States
Joined 5904 days ago

43 posts - 48 votes

Message 84 of 108
05 April 2012 at 1:04am | IP Logged 
Hi guys
I have just seen a new video clip about Wendy Vo on youtube.Wendy was on the Oprah Winfrey TV.Google wendy vo oprah to watch.

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5819 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 85 of 108
03 May 2012 at 3:10am | IP Logged 
no more Wendy? don't worry:

Mabou Loiseau
http://youtu.be/zAUyACt8dFE

futurianus
Korea, South
starlightonclou
Joined 4759 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: Korean*

Message 86 of 108
16 May 2012 at 6:51pm | IP Logged 

bluecollar wrote:
Hi guys
I have just seen a new video clip about Wendy Vo on youtube.Wendy was on the Oprah Winfrey TV.Google wendy vo oprah to watch.

Thank you bluecollar for the new information about Wendy. It is so good to see Wendy again. Now she is eleven and wants to be a singer too!

tmp011007 wrote:
no more Wendy? don't worry:

Mabou Loiseau
http://youtu.be/zAUyACt8dFE

Thank you tmp011007 for this great information about Mabou. I left some comments for Mabou in your thread on her.

It would be nice if Wendy and Mabou and their parents become friends with each other.    

1 person has voted this message useful

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5819 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 87 of 108
21 August 2012 at 8:08pm | IP Logged 
Wendy Vo on Oprah Windfrey channel in 2012
http://youtu.be/NVOfGVOFUwQ

Edited by tmp011007 on 21 August 2012 at 8:08pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5084 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 88 of 108
21 August 2012 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
This one is difficult to comment on. On one hand I think it is fantastic to have someone who is so interested in languages, and whose parents prioritize that. She is a very accomplished young lady.

On the other hand I find it weird to have someone described as fluent in 11 languages, when we see that her Hindi teacher is "expanding her vocabulary" with words like "grandfather, mother, uncle". Most 11 year olds would be way beyond that sort of vocabulary.

I am again afraid that this is someone who is being raised to the stars by the media, and I really hope she will not crash and burn. I wish her lots of luck.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 108 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version