United States
Joined 6300 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 25 of 108
26 January 2008 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
mattsfk wrote:
I'm not sure if this was your attempt at tongue-in-cheek, but making yourself out to be an authority on Vietnamese cuisine, and implying that dogs are a common meat, is as much a cheap shot as it is inaccurate.

Looks pretty common to me. Mmmm... dog meat.
1 person has voted this message useful

mattsfk
Triglot
Australia
twitter.com/mattsfkRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5971 days ago

16 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: Vietnamese, English*, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Danish, German

Message 26 of 108
27 January 2008 at 12:41am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:

Looks pretty common to me. Mmmm... dog meat.

Have you ever lived or spent time in Vietnam?

That article is a particular insight/feature into a phenomenon that, while existing in Vietnam, is not widespread. I'd urge you not
to believe everything you read, even if it was on the BBC news site. Let's not ignore that it was written by the ever-roving
correspondent Clare Arthurs, who despite her majors in History and Political Science, must surely be a valid voice on the culinary
habits of the Vietnamese, right?

The majority of the Vietnamese have never eaten even dog meat - it is just not mainstream enough, and nor is it favorably looked
upon by scores of Vietnamese.

I know I am veering off topic and possibly overreacting, but it just grates me when people jump to inaccurate stereotypes and/or jest
at the expense of a group of people. It displays a lack of cultural sensitivity which I think is unacceptable in a language-learning
realm, such as this.

Matt
3 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6300 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 27 of 108
27 January 2008 at 1:33am | IP Logged 
I've never been to Vietnam, but I have met many Vietnamese here in the US. Their descriptions of their country, and their friendliness makes me want to learn the language, and go there.

Although I really like dogs (as pets:)), and couldn't bring my self to eat one, it doesn't really bother me that others eat them. I was in Sakon Nakhon (Thailand) in October, and my girlfriend asked if I'd like to visit the dog (meat) market. I said only if I can go around asking people to please not eat dog meat. She looked really nervous, and decided we better not go there. It seems that the people who eat the dogs aren't embarassed about it. And Thais who don't eat dogs don't give the dog-eaters a hard time. Foreigners seem to want to give them a hard time, but I wonder if they care? Anyway, this seems pretty important to you, so I apologize if I hurt your feelings.

mattsfk
Triglot
Australia
twitter.com/mattsfkRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5971 days ago

16 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: Vietnamese, English*, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Danish, German

Message 28 of 108
27 January 2008 at 6:14am | IP Logged 
That's okay leosmith! I was just really highly strung before so I guess I tend to over analyse.

bluecollar
Groupie
United States
Joined 5904 days ago

43 posts - 48 votes

Message 29 of 108
27 January 2008 at 10:28am | IP Logged 
Wendy Vo is Vietnamese American.Her English must be good except for the fact that she does not know the word larkspur.I believe most Americans,adults included,don't know that word either.Other than that,she is absolutely fluent.
We need native speakers of Spanish,Mandarin Chinese,French,Japanese,Hindi,Arabic,Russian,Portuguese to judge her accent.Please help.
2 persons have voted this message useful

ilanbg
Diglot
United States
Joined 6160 days ago

166 posts - 189 votes 
Speaks: French, English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (classical), Persian

Message 30 of 108
27 January 2008 at 12:44pm | IP Logged 
I've already posted about her French accent. It was passible, but not very good.

bluecollar
Groupie
United States
Joined 5904 days ago

43 posts - 48 votes

Message 31 of 108
27 January 2008 at 12:51pm | IP Logged 
Thanks,Ilanbg

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6453 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 32 of 108
28 January 2008 at 7:06am | IP Logged 
mattsfk wrote:
Iversen wrote:
In French she was not quite sure what kind of meat she had eaten, but in the Vietnamese cuisine that can be a real problem - it can be anything from prawns to dogs.

I'm not sure if this was your attempt at tongue-in-cheek, but making yourself out to be an authority on Vietnamese cuisine, and implying that dogs are a common meat, is as much a cheap shot as it is inaccurate.

Also, what does larkspurs growing in Vietnam have to do with anything? This girl was born in Charlotte, NC., USA.

The remark about dogs is not a joke, - it is a fact that dog is served in restaurants in Vietnam. I have seen the restaurants myself and I have first hand reports from people who tried that food item. But it may be frowned upon and be on its way out, just like horse meat where I live. However I don't claim to be an authority on any kind of food just because I have seen people eating it.

The objection to my remark about larkspur is valid insofar that I had overlooked that she didn't live in Vietnam. Still, she did hesitate at this word (and quite frankly I don't blame her).

This discussion contains 108 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version