twitter.com/mattsfkRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5971 days ago

16 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: Vietnamese, English*, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Danish, German

Message 33 of 108
28 January 2008 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:

The remark about dogs is not a joke, - it is a fact that dog is served in restaurants in Vietnam. I have seen the restaurants myself and I have first hand reports from
people who tried that food item. But it may be frowned upon and be on its way out, just like horse meat where I live. However I don't claim to be an authority on
any kind of food just because I have seen people eating it.

Not a joke, eh? So you honestly thought that this young girl would have chosen 'dog' as her favourite meat? That's hilarious. Funny that you had to point out
that 'it's a real problem' for the Vietnamese to choose among, oh say, chicken, pork, beef, prawn and DOG as their preferred meat.

You clearly still know very little about Vietnamese cuisine and its culture in its totality if you choose to highlight the aberrant nature of eating dog meat.

---

Anyway, I've written enough on this topic - let us get back to discussing the merits of this girl as a polyglot!
2 persons have voted this message useful

bluecollar
Groupie
United States
Joined 5904 days ago

43 posts - 48 votes

Message 34 of 108
29 January 2008 at 10:00am | IP Logged 
Well,it seems to me Wendy Vo has passed the Cantonese and French tests.There are still a lot more.I know there are plenty of native speakers of the languages we need out there.Please join us.
1 person has voted this message useful

bluecollar
Groupie
United States
Joined 5904 days ago

43 posts - 48 votes

Message 35 of 108
05 February 2008 at 9:13am | IP Logged 
There are still 9 languages to judge.Please come and share your view.

Syg
Diglot
United States
Joined 6054 days ago

21 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: Mandarin, English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 36 of 108
22 February 2008 at 4:13pm | IP Logged 
Her Mandarin accent isn't perfect and her tones were a bit off in some places.

I'm interested in knowing exactly how she learned those languages..

bluecollar
Groupie
United States
Joined 5904 days ago

43 posts - 48 votes

Message 37 of 108
02 March 2008 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
So,in your opinion,does Wendy Vo pass or fail our Mandarin Chinese test?

Walshy
Triglot
Australia
Joined 6692 days ago

335 posts - 365 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German

Message 38 of 108
04 March 2008 at 3:01am | IP Logged 
Wendy was on the Ellen Degeneres show recently. She appears to have been personally tutored by natives of the various languages, lucky girl. Her skills on the piano were incredible, though, so I'm inclined to believe she is more than just 'lucky'.

No videos are on youtube of the show at the moment, maybe soon.

Vlad
Trilingual Super Polyglot
Czechoslovakia
foreverastudent.com
Joined 6334 days ago

443 posts - 576 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Czech*, Slovak*, Hungarian*, Mandarin, EnglishC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, Spanish, Russian, Polish, Serbian, French
Studies: Persian, Taiwanese, Romanian, Portuguese

Message 39 of 108
04 March 2008 at 3:12am | IP Logged 
bluecollar:

The thing is, that if you want to prove, that she is fluent in 11 languages then the answer is a clear no. Being fluent in a language is a whole different story. You only have to compare her English to the rest of her languages and see that there is a huge gap.

She has a very nice accent in the languages that I can judge and she can understand most of what is said to her and can respond to it as well, but the discussions are very basic. I mean at least the video shows that. Of course the fluency of a 9 year old and a 30 year old in the same language is different, but she doesn't reach the level of fluency for a 9 year old in most of those languages. It's a game for her, but that's what's so great about it :-)

Nevertheless it is a great achievement and a great basis for the future. I really love the accents which are later very diffcult to master.

Edited by Vlad on 04 March 2008 at 3:13am

2 persons have voted this message useful

bluecollar
Groupie
United States
Joined 5904 days ago

43 posts - 48 votes

Message 40 of 108
20 March 2008 at 8:19am | IP Logged 
I agree with you about her accent.It is something you can only acquire when you are young.

This discussion contains 108 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version