Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6219 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 1 of 154
06 February 2008 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
I previously tried to learn Polish via Listening-Reading, with rather limited success. I attribute this partly to not trying hard enough over enough time, and partly to overly-limited materials.

Not being able to decently understand written Polish has been significantly bothering me since, as I keep hearing about more things in Polish which I would like to read.

I don't have the time to Listen-Read for 8 or more hours a day, except on weekends. Hence, I'm going to abandon the idea of doing this according to my current mental notions of how to intensely Listen-Read.

My current plan of attack:
Phonetics. I started working on Polish phonetics yesterday, and am continuing today. For the moment, my major source is the sound files from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_phonology.
I'd rather have a more extensive source, but recorded Polish materials for learning the phonology explicitly (as opposed to trying to splice my own out of audiobooks) seem scarce, and it's a place to start. Thus far, I'm concentrating on the vowels, listening to each sound file several hundred times, and very occasionally, trying to shadow specific ones. I'm having questionable success with the shadowing - I don't think I'm terribly far off, but I don't think I'm exactly hitting the sounds yet either.

I plan to stick with phonetics until I either get sick of it, or feel comfortable hearing, differentiating, and producing all the sounds. I also plan to gather potential Listening-Reading materials during this stage.

Next, I plan to Listen-Read, with a twist. Specifically, I'll limit myself to whatever intensity I find myself actively -wanting- to do it at, without trying to artificially maximize or limit the amount of time spent. Similarly, I'll abandon any books I find I dislike, or which I currently consider too difficult -- unless it conflicts with the next point. Most importantly, I won't let myself use a lack of materials for an excuse to stop halfway through. I intend to study daily, even if that only means 5 minutes on particularly bad days, until I either reach 'natural listening' or decide that this method isn't working for me.

Finally, I intend to spend more time with Polish grammars than I did last time. I've skimmed a few for basic ideas, but this time, I'll try making explicit charts of any parts which strike me as particularly critical and that I also find myself not absorbing quickly.

I'm not going for any speed-records here; I'll probably still be doing phonology in a week.

Any recommendations for Polish phonetic or Listening-Reading material will be appreciated.

1 person has voted this message useful

atamagaii
Anguilla
Joined 5986 days ago

181 posts - 195 votes 
Speaks: Apache*

Message 2 of 154
06 February 2008 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
Would you be able to L-Read in Polish-French? I have a few simple books recorded in Polish with parallel French-Polish texts. (L'Etranger by Camus, Le petit Nicolas).

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6219 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 3 of 154
06 February 2008 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
atamagaii wrote:
Would you be able to L-Read in Polish-French? I have a few simple books recorded in Polish with parallel French-Polish texts. (L'Etranger by Camus, Le petit Nicolas).

I would gladly give it a try, especially since I've been wanting to read more of "Le petit Nicolas".

atamagaii
Anguilla
Joined 5986 days ago

181 posts - 195 votes 

Message 5 of 154
07 February 2008 at 5:28am | IP Logged 
As to audiobooks in Polish. There are more than 5000 (five thousand) unabridged novels, from Harry Potter, Tolkien to Camus, Kafka and James Joyce. I just happen to have a few – never been interested in collecting them – (list below). And plenty of abridged ones, of course – suitable for "natural listening" only.

As to parallel texts. I have hundreds of novels, prepared them for Polish learners of XYZ-language(s). The majority English-Polish. I might prepare some more, if you're serious about learing, and not just grasshoppering.

I have thousands of e-texts in Polish, too.

Audiobooks in Polish I have (they are read by professional actors):
(+ P – Polish, A – English, N – German W – Italian R – Russian parallel texts)

Andersen, Hans Christian – Baśnie PA NP (przynajmniej część)
Brown, Dan - Kod Leonarda da Vinci
Bułhakow, Michał - Mistrz i Małgorzata RP, RA PA PW AW RW
Camus, Albert - Dżuma (Zapasiewicz)
Camus, Albert - Obcy (Kołbasiuk) FP
Davies, Norman - Orzeł Biały - czerwona gwiazda (it's not a novel; WHITE EAGLE, RED STAR. THE POLISH-SOVIET WAR 1919-1920 AND ‘THE MIRACLE ON THE VISTULA’)
Kafka, Franz – Proces PN
Orwell - Folwark Zwierzęcy PA
Rowling - Harry Potter i Czara Ognia PA
Rowling – Harry Potter i Kamien Filozoficzny PA
Rowling – Harry Potter i Komnata Tajemnic PA
Rowling – Harry Potter i Wiezien Azkabanu PA
Sempé Goscinny - Mikołajek i inne chłopaki PF
Sempé Goscinny - Wakacje Mikołajka (Kwiatkowska) PF
Sempé & R.Goscinny - Rekreacje Mikołajka (Barciś) PF
Stevenson, Robert Louis - Wyspa skarbów (Teleszyński)
Süskind, Patrick - Pachnidło (Traczyński) PNA

Audiobooks – Polish authors + e-texts in Polish
Brzechwa, Jan – Bajki
Mickiewicz, Adam – Pan Tadeusz
Prus, Bolesław - Lalka
Żeromski. Stefan – Ludzie bezdomni

Textbooks:
Assimil - Le Polonais sans peine, Leçon 1-100 (no text)
Colloquial Polish (in English)

atamagaii wrote:
Listening-Reading in a teeny weeny nutshell:

LOVE + Listening-Reading (INCUBATION period and then natural listening) + pronunciation = speaking + writing.

Use LONG novels right from the start. If the languages are different the first three hours should be translated word for word. If they are similar, it is not necessary.
There's nothing miraculous about it.

Listening-Reading

siomotteikiru = atamgaii = Phi-Staszek
男でもあり、女でもある。
I doubt, therefore I might be.

Edited by atamagaii on 07 February 2008 at 6:11am

atamagaii
Anguilla
Joined 5986 days ago

181 posts - 195 votes 

Message 7 of 154
07 February 2008 at 6:28am | IP Logged 
To leserebles

Why are you so impatient? It took me FOUR hours to just prepare the list above. I had to check what I have.

This discussion contains 154 messages over 20 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version