United States
Joined 6413 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Turkish, Irish
Personal Language Map

Message 73 of 118
21 May 2009 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
I still struggle with systematization in my language studies. My primary focus tends to shift from one language to the next, nearly to the exclusion of the others, which I find unsatisfying. I have had some success, though, in suppressing the wanderlust into languages outside of my current Big Three (German, Russian, Turkish), a recent foray into Icelandic notwithstanding.

I've always advocated the simultaneous study of multiple languages, but I may be in the middle of an opinion shift. Given the particular one-track way my obsessive brain works, and given the reality of time constraints in my life, I wonder if it's impossible to engage in the serious study of three languages while achieving that satisfaction I crave. Pardon the crude simile, but languages are like crack. I've been in a Russian "phase" for the last week or two, but I cannot stop thinking about German and Turkish, and I miss them dearly. Engaging in each one for a short period of time daily, say fifteen minutes, just does not work for me: yanking German away after such a brief time leaves me feeling empty! I would just be getting going, so I need at least a half hour per session to feel complete.

I find myself using German more and more, as opposed to studying it, so I think the process of restoring my German to its previous level of proficiency is nearing completion. Perhaps then I will be able to comfortably "set it aside" and reduce my active studying load to only Russian and Turkish.

Meanwhile, I'm fighting valiantly to ignore those persistent little voices in the back of my head. Persian is pleading with me, "Don't you miss me? Return to me!" Norwegian is nagging me, "Come back to me. You know you want to!" And so it goes.
1 person has voted this message useful

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6413 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 74 of 118
22 May 2009 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
In his Russian log, Weizenkeim wrote:

Weizenkeim wrote:

Another thing I have in mind: I want to keep track about how many unknown words occur to me per page, so I can see how numbers will decrease in the long run. I am no statistics geek, but I think this could be quite motivating.

I've been doing exactly this with the German book I've been reading. After reading a chapter for pleasure at normal speed, I take it up a second time, looking up unfamiliar words or phrases. I jot them down in my notebook (I've been preferring this old-fashioned method to Anki lately). After each chapter I take a moment to divide the total number of notebook entries by the number of pages read, hoping to see an appreciable decline.

In the early chapters I was averaging something like 6.1 per page. Now, after some 130+ pages, I was surprised to find that the average is 5.2. Not a significant difference.

Curious, I also counted up the number of words on what appeared to be a typical page and, if I recall correctly, the arithmetic came out to around 97% comprehension. More than enough to comfortably understand the story.

Weizenkeim
Diglot
Groupie
GermanyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5914 days ago

70 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 75 of 118
22 May 2009 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
You are right of course. I think it also depends on how far you have gotten into the respective language. At the moment i really have a lot of rather common words to learn. Reading a book, classic or contemporary, will feed me with all those different synonymes for 'say' 'ask' 'answer' 'notice' etc.. so I think the numbers will be my friend for a while. Right now for me it is ~ 50+ new words per page (with ~450 words a page). If i will ever get to a rate above 90 percent, I think I will kick statistics and just say hooray for every peculiar word I will find.

But i did not intend to spam your log. So I might leave at least some useful German information here. Todays lesson: "die Katze im Sack kaufen"

Imagine you are in a bookstore, but the book you are interested in (biography of david hasselhoff) is still wrapped in plastic. you rip it open to read at least the introduction/ directory. Shop owner comes and complains: Hey! Buy it or leave it. So you say: "Moment mal! Ich will doch nicht die Katze im Sack kaufen"
my dictionary says: to buy a pig in a poke
end of German lesson- best wishes and thanks for adding to my log. regards

Jar-ptitsa
Triglot
Belgium
Joined 5708 days ago

980 posts - 1006 votes 
Speaks: French*, Dutch, German

Message 76 of 118
26 May 2009 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
Hi Magister,

sorry for reply late, after some days: the last week it wasn't allowed surf the internet excepted read a PM and my emails. It's always allowed to control my emails. probably they were angry because I discovered what is happened with the food, the rhubarb yoghurt, which is my favourite flavour, but they had put something in them but not the true yoghurt therefore I opened all the ones and put the contents in the bin.

magister wrote:
Jar-ptitsa wrote:
You speak Latin, German, Russian, and which other languages?

Hi Jar-Ptitsa,

That is not an easy question to answer, which is why I leave my language profile on the left side of the screen blank. My difficulty lies in defining the word "speak," since I'm uncomfortable equating it with "basic fluency" or "getting by" or whatever.
[/quote]

Yes, this descriptions are difficult to exactly know. they are very subjective.

Quote:
Besides English, I do not speak anything with absolute ease -- and even in English, my native tongue, I feel inarticulate as I have some difficulty orally expressing my thoughts. I envision a "bottleneck" somewhere between my brain and my mouth: it's as if a flood of words or concepts rushes toward this narrow tunnel, collide into one another as they compete for entrance, they break up, and are lost. I'm then left with very little at that moment, and I grasp in vain for the words that were just destroyed. As a result, I must speak very deliberately with much forethought. It's quite frustrating.

Yes, it must be very frustrating I think. how's it when you have to teach your class? teachers have to speak, I suppose. It's fortunate that Latin's not a modern language, therefore it's more writing and reading, not conversations.It's why you prefer it as well?

I find speak very difficult also, for example to speak the correct tempo: the people tell me I'm speak very too fast and impossible understand, or sometimes one word's too many times repeated but I don't intend it, then I feel stupid and embarrassed or when the people laugh at me because I reply them but they think that nobody had said a thing and they accuse of talk to myself but I never do this and didn't never in all my live, therefore I don't speak mostly, but I can talk.

(edit: it seems from my paragraph I have always this difficulties, but I haven't, sometimes only, mostly I can speak well, but I don't talk much.)

Quote:
The languages I "know" or "speak" best, however one defines "know," are English, Czech, German, and Latin. I envision these as occupying the "first tier." My second-tier languages, French and Spanish, lie dormant -- I can read them with ease, but until I spend time in country reawakening them, I cannot tell people I speak these languages without offering some qualifying explanations. But because I have always been far more interested in reading than speaking, I am somewhat content possessing passive skills that far, far outstrip my active skills.

Somewhere beneath the second tier lie some languages I consider at a very elementary level. Russian and Norwegian, because I've been very inconsistent with them throughout my life; Turkish, because I haven't been studying it very long; Japanese and Romanian, which have deteriorated greatly from a much higher level because I lost interest in them a long time ago and subsequently abandoned them.

Finally, -- like most language enthusiasts in this forum -- there are a whole mess of languages I've merely dabbled in over the years, and therefore are hardly worth mentioning here.

Thank you very much: this answered my question. (when I asked "speak" I mean "know").

It's very nice that you help your daughter with her Latin.

Edited by Jar-ptitsa on 26 May 2009 at 7:19pm

solka
Tetraglot
Groupie
Kazakhstan
Joined 6358 days ago

44 posts - 61 votes 
Speaks: Kazakh, Russian*, Turkish, EnglishC2
Studies: FrenchB1, Japanese

Message 77 of 118
27 May 2009 at 12:19pm | IP Logged 
Hello! I really liked your journal, especially because of your choice of languages:
Russian is my native language, and Turkish is the language I am studying (although not
so actively now).
Regarding your posts on the previous pages, SII gave very good explanations, and I
just want to add a small point:
             9. “How do you like our new teacher?” “Not very much. He likes to ask
difficult questions.” --Как тебе нравитсья наш новый учитель? --Не очень. Он любит
задавать трудные вопросы.
10. "How do you like the film that you saw last evening?" "I didn’t like it at all,
but my brother liked it." --Как тебе нравитсья фильм, который ты увидел вчера вечер? -
-Мне совсем не понравился, но моему брату понравился

It is more natural to translate the "how do you like...." sentences as "Тебе
понравился...? Тебе нравится...?", without using "как" at the beginning.

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6413 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 78 of 118
29 May 2009 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
Weizenkeim wrote:

But i did not intend to spam your log. So I might leave at least some useful German information here. Todays lesson: "die Katze im Sack kaufen"

Imagine you are in a bookstore, but the book you are interested in (biography of david hasselhoff) is still wrapped in plastic. you rip it open to read at least the introduction/ directory. Shop owner comes and complains: Hey! Buy it or leave it. So you say: "Moment mal! Ich will doch nicht die Katze im Sack kaufen"
my dictionary says: to buy a pig in a poke
end of German lesson- best wishes and thanks for adding to my log. regards

So ein Zufall -- "die Katze im Sack kaufen" ist die zweite Sack-Redewendung, die ich diese Woche begegnet habe. Eine Bekannte hat mich gebeten, um einen im Deutschen geschriebenen Blog-Beitrag zu übersetzen. Er enthielt diese Redewendung, die ich zuvor nicht gesehen hatte: "eine auf den Sack bekommen."

(EN: What a coincidence -- that's the second "Bag idiom" I've come across this week. A friend of mine asked me to translate some blog post she was interested in, but it was in German. It contained the phrase "to get crushed [e.g., in sports]," which I had never seen before.)

By the way, if you ever feel the need to actively use "pig in a poke" in English, know (if you don't already) that it's quite outdated. I'd use "sight unseen" instead, as in "I would never buy a David Hasselhoff biography sight unseen."

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6413 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 79 of 118
01 June 2009 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
Jar-ptitsa wrote:

Yes, it must be very frustrating I think. how's it when you have to teach your class? teachers have to speak, I suppose. It's fortunate that Latin's not a modern language, therefore it's more writing and reading, not conversations.It's why you prefer it as well?

Oh, it's fine when I teach. I just have to speak deliberately (bedächtig) so that my brain does not race too far ahead of my mouth. And you're correct that there is much more reading in my classes, but I also incorporate an oral element -- especially with my younger students.

While I certainly love Latin, and I derive most of my income from teaching it, I do not necessarily prefer it to any of my other languages.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5657 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 80 of 118
01 June 2009 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
Magister, schau mal in den Thread "Deutsch für Fortgeschrittene"! Ich habe dort mit LanguageSponge und Weizenkeim an einem Abend jede Menge deutsche und englische Redewendungen diskutiert. Die Phraseologie ist ein spezielles Interessensgebiet von mir, insbesondere bezogen auf Fremdsprachen.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 01 June 2009 at 8:21pm

This discussion contains 118 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version