Studies: Turkish, Irish
Personal Language Map

Message 89 of 118
06 October 2009 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
JUNE 13 - OCT. 5

Continuing the summary of my four-month-long absence:

RUSSIAN

Primary resources I have been using:

1. Introductory Russian Grammar textbook (Stilman, Stilman, and Harkins)

I've already written about this course. I finished it this summer, but I constantly revisit the Pattern Sentences from each chapter in an effort to improve the automaticity of my speech.

2. Как я изучаю языки (Kató Lomb)

"How I Learn Languages" is my intensive reading project. It's the perfect reading level for this -- it's not too easy for me, and it's not too difficult. I derive an immense amount of benefit from this work. I began by using it as an extensive reader; I got through about a quarter of it before returning to the beginning and approaching it intensively instead. I gave the Iversen-style Wordlist Method a fair shake, but I've concluded that it's just not for me.

3. Russian dictionary (Kenneth Katzner)

4. NCLRC podcasts.

Again I ask: Why didn't I buy an iPod sooner? I've got 75 of the Russian podcasts from the National Capital Language Resource Center, and they are my primary source of listening practice for the time being. For so-called extensive listening, I put these on shuffle and just let them play while I'm doing housework or whatever. For intensive listening, I select one Webcast and make liberal use of the rewind or replay function as well as the vocabulary lists that appear in the ID3 tag (I think that's the correct computer term).

5. GLOSS

GLOSS has been discussed in depth elsewhere on HTLAL. The exercises which accompany the authentic materials (for 28 languages) are so valuable for learners. There are well over 300 for Russian, ranging from ILR 1-4 (though the vast majority are at ILR 2, 2+, and 3).   

Secondary resources I have been using:

1. LangNet

This site is quite similar to GLOSS in form and intent, but it offers a different selection of languages and the materials are primarily aimed at ILR 3, 3+, and 4. Access is restricted, however. I wrote more about it here back in January.

2. RussianPod101.com

I complained in another thread that I had found RussianPod's content "lacking." It turns out I just couldn't find all the material. But I did finally figure out how to download everything. I listened to most of the newbie and beginner episodes once, and each of the advanced episodes multiple times. Yes, the hosts Anna and Erik are very likeable, and they engage in entertaining and humorous banter (Anna's voice is lovely!), but the Russian is extremely limited for my purposes. Usually after a great deal of listening practice in any language, I will experience snippets of the language popping into my mind afterwards (see the thread "Do you ever blurt out random words?"). The unintended result of RussianPod101 is that instead of fleeting snippets of Russian resounding within my skull, I constantly hear echoes of Anna's accented English. I don't doubt that RP101 has its place for learners with aims different from mine.

3. Beginner's Russian Reader by Pargment.

A well-known resource -- I have nothing to add to what's been written about it elsewhere. I just haven't seen my copy in about two months. I wonder where I put it...

For a limited selection of additional Russian learning links, see this dead thread.

RU: Как я изучаю языки: 6/106

Edited by magister on 06 October 2009 at 11:47pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5664 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 90 of 118
07 October 2009 at 6:49pm | IP Logged 
Hi Magister,

Da ist doch einiges los in unserem neuen deutschen Subforum. Vielleicht solltest du dich da mal mehr beteiligen. Ganz interessante Themen, die da besprochen werden, ich habe da auch Spaß dran. Wir dürfen dort eigene Threads bilden zu verschiedenen Sachthemen. Vielleicht hast du auch mal eine Idee, ich hatte dort schon neue Threads gestartet.

In meiner Türkisch-AG sind wir jetzt mit unserem Zweiten Lehrbuch "Einstieg Türkisch" mittendrin, das Audiomaterial ist ausgezeichnet! Es werden auch die Vokablen auditiv trainiert, ich kann sehr gut das Hören mit dem Lesen kombinieren. Mit Assimil könnte ich zum Beispiel nicht lernen, ich mag so gerne Übungen und die fehlen mir bei Assimil. Daher benutze ich Assimil Türkisch nur für zusätzliches Audiotraining.

Fasulye

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6420 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*
Personal Language Map

Message 91 of 118
08 October 2009 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
Ja okay, da hast du ja Recht, Fasulye. Ich danke dir, dass du mich entmutigst, im deutschen Forum mitzuteilen. Das Problem is nur, dass ich zu viel Zeit verbringe/verschwende beim Lesen in den anderen Forums. Es fällt mir nicht leicht, auf Deutsch zu schreiben!

Ich gebe jedenfalls mein Bestes.

simonov
Portugal
Joined 5406 days ago

222 posts - 438 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 92 of 118
08 October 2009 at 10:27am | IP Logged 
magister wrote:
Ja okay, da hast du ja Recht, Fasulye. Ich danke dir, dass du mich entmutigst, im deutschen Forum mitzuteilen.

Das hast du bestimmt nicht gemeint! Besser ermutigst (encourage), die Fasulye hat dich doch nicht entmutigen (discourage) wollen.

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6420 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 93 of 118
08 October 2009 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
simonov wrote:
magister wrote:
Ja okay, da hast du ja Recht, Fasulye. Ich danke dir, dass du mich entmutigst, im deutschen Forum mitzuteilen.

Das hast du bestimmt nicht gemeint! Besser ermutigst (encourage), die Fasulye hat dich doch nicht entmutigen (discourage) wollen.

Ach so! Das ist ein grosses (aber lustiges!) Versehen. Danke, Simonov, für die Korrektur.

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6420 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 94 of 118
12 October 2009 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
JUNE 13 - OCT. 5

Continuing the summary of my four-month-long absence:

TURKISH
I'm disgusted with my Turkish. I don't even know what I've really accomplished with it over these last four months. I've chatted a bit with the Turkish guy I met, I've flipped through this or that textbook/grammar/newspaper/dictionary, I've kept a notebook of valuable and illustrative sentences...but everything has been haphazard and inconsistent.

Turkish is my third priority, after German and Russian. I don't want to drop it because I love the language, I'm interested in the country, and I've been committed to it for a long time. Now that I've determined to improve my poor goal-setting skills, my Official Goal with Turkish is to spend a mere 15 minutes per day with it. It's a paltry amount of time to be sure, but it's better than nothing.

Lately I've returned to the textbooks to refresh my knowledge. I have all the audio from Colloquial Turkish on my iPod, and I hope to move the audio from Elementary Turkish to it soon. The problem with the latter is the wildly inconsistent volume: for example, one actor in a dialogue speaks very loudly, as if he is speaking directly into the microphone, while the other actor's voice is faint, as through she is speaking from a great distance. Can any Audio Engineering Wizards out there tell me if it's possible (with Audacity, perhaps) to tweak them?

For learning, I've returned to Elementary Turkish, Unit 13, in an effort to review older material. I've also returned to Hugo's ridiculously named but excellently produced Turkish in Three Months, lesson 11, for the same purpose. Given 15 minutes a day, progress will be glacial. I'm okay with that for now.

_________
DE: Dunkle Kammern:   102/512
      Schlaflos in München: 9 episodes, all listened to twice

RU: Как я изучаю языки: 9/106
      NLCRC: 2 episodes completed. ("Completion" of an episode to me means I've
      harvested all the new vocabulary items from it, practiced them in various ways,
      and listened to the episode multiple times until I can easily understand the
      content.)

Edited by magister on 14 October 2009 at 6:25pm

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6420 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 95 of 118
13 October 2009 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 

DE: Dunkle Kammern:   118/512
      Schlaflos in München: 10 episodes

RU: Как я изучаю языки: 9/106
      Reviewed the new vocab harvested from those 9 pages.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5682 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 96 of 118
13 October 2009 at 7:33pm | IP Logged 
magister wrote:
Can any Audio Engineering Wizards out there tell me if it's possible (with Audacity, perhaps) to tweak them?
The only way I can think of would be to edit every spot where that person speaks using "Amplify" (and "amplify" it negatively). There is also an option called "Normalize" which may be what you're looking for, but I don't have any files to try it on so I can't say.

Also, when you mentioned the Russian podcasts on the NCLRC site, are you referring to the audio portions of what they call their "Russian webcasts"?

This discussion contains 118 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version