1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 25 of 118
12 January 2009 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
magister wrote:

TURKISH

FSI, Vol. I: Finished Unit 21, working on Unit 22. I love this section of the course: it's an introduction to verbal nouns, as in Ne yapacağınızı söylemediniz (You didn't say what you were going to do). Replacing entire subordinate clauses with verbal nouns (which of course agglutinate) is such a vastly different way of thinking.

Magister, you are more advanced in Turkish than I am. I haven't had such verbal nouns in the Future Tense so far and they will not come in our book "Güle Güle" at all, there they only have the normal Future Tense. I had to restart with Turkish from scratch in May 2008 because with Turkish I had made a pause of 10 years without using the language. After such a long pause my knowledge was not systematical any more.

Good luck again and keep it going!

Fasulye-Babylonia

Edited by Fasulye on 12 January 2009 at 11:30pm

1 person has voted this message useful

glossa.passion
Triglot
Germany
Joined 6119 days ago

267 posts - 349 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, EnglishC1, Danish
Studies: Spanish, Dutch

Message 26 of 118
12 January 2009 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
Oh, there are two members who study Turkish, I didn't realize that before. But how comes, magister, that you're already at lesson 21 with FSI? When did you start the FSI Turkish? I've only read in your log, that you've done something elementary. But perphaps I've missed a post.

To have a bit of "contrast" between Danish and Swedisch, I've also picked up a Turkish language course. It's from a language school in Turkey and I bought it for a few bucks at ebay. It consists of 3 books - all in all about 960 pages and 7 cassettes (which I'm now digitzing...). The method of this course is totally different from other courses and alone that is enjoyable to work through.

But you, magister, you have really a lot on your language plate! And it all sounds so interesting.

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6401 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Turkish, Irish
Personal Language Map

Message 27 of 118
12 January 2009 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:

Magister, you are more advanced in Turkish than I am.

This is not necessarily true, Fasulye. You know that not all textbooks introduce grammatical structures in the same order. Besides, you might have a larger vocabulary at your command. You might understand more than I do when listening. Perhaps you can speak the Turkish which you have learned with much greater facility than I can.

In any case, we are both beginners, so let's continue encouraging each other along the way!

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6401 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 28 of 118
12 January 2009 at 5:14pm | IP Logged 
glossa.passion wrote:
But how comes, magister, that you're already at lesson 21 with FSI? When did you start the FSI Turkish? I've only read in your log, that you've done something elementary. But perphaps I've missed a post.

<snip>...I've also picked up a Turkish language course. It's from a language school in Turkey and I bought it for a few bucks at ebay. It consists of 3 books...<snip>

From your description I would guess that you bought the Hitit course. If so, I've never seen it. I would be interested in hearing your opinions on it after you have worked with it for a time.

The answer to your FSI question can be found in my initial post, which explains that I completed FSI Turkish Vol. I in 2007, before ceasing all Turkish study for nearly a year. Naturally this "relearning" is going relatively quickly.

glossa.passion
Triglot
Germany
Joined 6119 days ago

267 posts - 349 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, EnglishC1, Danish
Studies: Spanish, Dutch

Message 29 of 118
13 January 2009 at 1:33am | IP Logged 
I've read your initial post but only skimmed through the others. Already in the second post you mentioned the FSI - sorry for being so lazy. May I ask, if you like the FSI Turkish?

The course I bought is called "Türkisch im Selbststudium" and I've read good things about the book you mentioned at Türkisch lernen online.

All the best for your studies.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5645 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 30 of 118
13 January 2009 at 1:38pm | IP Logged 
magister wrote:
The answer to your FSI question can be found in my initial post, which explains that I completed FSI Turkish Vol. I in 2007, before ceasing all Turkish study for nearly a year. Naturally this "relearning" is going relatively quickly.

That's a difference, your Turkish language pause only lasted one year, whereas my language pause lasted ten years, where I had to work on my professional qualifications. It gives me a dosis of inspriation reading in your log about your Turkish activities and I am also delighted to read that you, glossa.passion, will now start learning Turkish.

I am looking forward to read about both of your Trukish language learning activities. I very much appreciate short language examples, by the way.

Fasulye-Babylonia

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6401 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 31 of 118
19 January 2009 at 8:33pm | IP Logged 
Warning: readers may find this entry wearisome in its length, its verbosity, its self-indulgence.

JAN. 12 - JAN. 18

Living in a region punished by extreme cold temperatures is a mixed blessing. Last week the air temperature dropped to as low as -22F (-30C); factor in the wind chill, and the mercury plummeted to an ungodly -45F (-42C). As a result, my school closed on Thursday and Friday (Yessssss!), thus granting me many extra hours of language time.

On the flip side, a water pipe in school froze and subsequently burst over the weekend, trashing my classroom! (Noooooo!) I would gladly trade in those extra two days off to have my room back. I am now a refugee, shuttling between the Japanese teacher's classroom, the library, and wherever else, holding my Latin classes wherever I find space. This is a bit dangerous, because by spending hours in the Japanese room today, my Wanderlust perked up significantly! Must...resist.

GERMAN

Early in my log, I provided a short word list or two. I quickly concluded this was a waste of time; however, a couple of readers have mentioned they appreciate their inclusion in my log. Moreover, now that more and more loggers are including vocabulary lists, I am finding them of interest and value myself. They can have their shortcomings, of course, since there isn't always a simple one-to-one correspondence between vocabulary items.

My Anki experiment has been an utter failure. For me, using an SRS is too much like work, and I fully subscribe to the idea that rapid language learning occurs when it's most enjoyable. But I may give it a shot again in the future.

wackelig - shaky, wobbly
griesgrämig - grouchy
unabdingbar - indispensable
aussagekräftig - meaningful
düster - gloomy, murky
emsig - industrious, busy
schwammig - puffy, bloated (lit., spongy)
bewandert - experienced, well-versed
der Zufluchtsort - place of refuge; sanctuary
der Knacklaut - glottal stop
der Verschusslaut - plosive
die Hecke - hedge
lauern - to lurk
zutreffen - to apply to, to be the case
umtaufen - to rechristen, rename
nachahmen - to mimic, imitate
gewachsen sein - to be up to something (i.e., a task)
von vornherein - from the outset
eine ruhige Kugel schieben - to have a cushy job; to have it easy
was mich anbetraf - as far as I am concerned

Maybe I'm easily amused or easy to please, but you know what's thrilling? Learning a new and relatively uncommon word and then seeing it some time later out "in the wild" and understanding it. One example for me was quälen (to torment), which I entered in my log last week. Yesterday I encountered it again in my reading already, which made me smile. It's such a simple, obvious comment, and I know I'm preaching to the choir here -- a choir of Language Nerds.

6 hrs, 45 mins

RUSSIAN

I'm on Unit 16 of the Stilman textbook, which is somewhere around the 250-page mark. When I finish 16, I intend to review the "Pattern Sentences" sections from all previous units. Right now I'm having some difficulty with sentences like Если вам нужны будут денги, мы вам дадим (If you need money, we'll give you some). Now, I fully understand the construction -- the person in need is in the dative, the thing needed is in the nominative, and нужны functions as an adjective which must agree in gender and number with the thing needed. Even the use of the future here where the English uses the present is not a stumbling block, thanks to a kind of positive transfer from Latin, which also uses a future or future perfect in similar situations. The problem is that I'm having a very difficult time when trying to quickly produce such нужeн-constructions. But I think this problem pales in comparison to the Turkic languages, where seemingly every grammatical construction is formed in an alien fashion!

So, Russian learners: how can I best type in Russian? I can set the "language bar" in Windows to Russian, but finding and remembering the location of all the letters is difficult and time-consuming. Is there an easier solution? I want to write some lang-8 posts this week (eh, as I wrote that I realized that report cards are due next week; I'll probably have to postpone writing in Russian...)

4 hrs 30 mins

TURKISH

My obsessions with German and Russian are currently overriding my passion for Turkish, so the time I spent on it this week is paltry. When I began the TAC -- or pre-TAC, I suppose -- I imagined that I would be making the effort to spend roughly equal time on each language. This has not proven true, and I'm okay with that. When I'm engrossed in a German book and completely obsessing over the words, the sentences, the structures, the idioms, why force myself to stop just so I can "punch the clock" with a language I'm not "feeling" at the moment? To assuage my guilt? To fulfill a sense of duty to that language? Eh. I know my obsessions are cyclical. Soon enough I will tire (temporarily) of this amount of German reading, and the pendulum will swing, with force, back to Turkish.

All I did was 30 mins with the Öztopçu textbook, as well as roughly 15 mins (spread over an hour and a half) of vocabulary review from an old list I made a year and a half ago. Actually, what I did was select some words from this list and create a smaller one of about 40 words. I slipped it in my back pocket and took it to church with me. Now, I really can't say I'm a churchgoer. However, my wife likes to attend occasionally, and this time she asked me to accompany her. What's more important: 1) Spending time with my wife, albeit in a location I wasn't interested in, or 2) staying home alone to nurse my unhealthy linguistic obsessions? I chose option 1, which honestly was an easy choice, but I successfully blended the two options by smuggling my Turkish vocabulary list into my Czech bible and sneaking peeks at it as often as possible!

45 mins   

CZECH

Reading in Zákulisí pana prstenů. I was bored. I'm not going to force it, I'll try some other reading material sometime.

45 mins

WANDERLUST

GREEK: The old Cortina Greek book. No comments for now. This log entry is far too long already.

15 mins

Cumulative time since Dec. 25:

DE: 25.25 hrs
RU: 15.75 hrs
TR: 9.5 hrs
CZ: 2.0 hrs
GK: 1.0 hrs
IR: .5 hrs

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6401 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 32 of 118
20 January 2009 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
Some Turkish vocabulary I relearned thıs weekend:

uluslararası - international
kaygan - slippery
bilinen - known
kimsesiz - desolate, lonely

uyarlama - adaptation
sunucu - emcee, host
gümüş - silver
tören - ceremony
istiklal - independence
ödül - award
yay - bow
ok - arrow
yaydan çıktı - the die is cast; there's no turning back

uğraşmak - to struggle
sinirlenmek - to get annoyed
yayımlamak - to publish
imzalamak - to sign

yanı sıra - as well as

This discussion contains 118 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version