1 sounds
Speaks: German*, EnglishC1, Danish
Studies: Spanish, Dutch

Message 49 of 118
26 February 2009 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
magister wrote:
FEB. 16 - FEB. 22
TURKISH
For the first time since the beginning of the TAC, I spent more time in a single week on a language other than German. I knew that that unexpected gift of Turkish books would fuel a sudden surge in my interest in this language, but that's only one factor. My wife's growing interest in learning some Turkish is also playing a role, as well as the fact that we met a real live Turk this week! Big deal, I hear you Germans saying. Well, this ain't Germany -- finding a Turk living in my out-of-the-way, culturally homogeneous region of the US is a big deal! What's more, his colleague is a native Tajik who speaks near-native Turkish and Russian (I hit the jackpot!).

Congratualtions! You really did hit the jackpot! And your wife's growing interest in Turkish is also a fine thing. Have a good time on the bright side of language learning :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5645 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 50 of 118
28 February 2009 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
glossa.passion wrote:
magister wrote:
FEB. 16 - FEB. 22
TURKISH
For the first time since the beginning of the TAC, I spent more time in a single week on a language other than German. I knew that that unexpected gift of Turkish books would fuel a sudden surge in my interest in this language, but that's only one factor. My wife's growing interest in learning some Turkish is also playing a role, as well as the fact that we met a real live Turk this week! Big deal, I hear you Germans saying. Well, this ain't Germany -- finding a Turk living in my out-of-the-way, culturally homogeneous region of the US is a big deal! What's more, his colleague is a native Tajik who speaks near-native Turkish and Russian (I hit the jackpot!).

Das ist natürlich ideal, dass deine Frau jetzt auch ein bißchen Türkisch mitlernt, so macht das Lernen noch mehr Spaß. Das bringt immer viel, wenn man anderen Leuten etwas erklärt über eine Sprache. Und Kontakt mit einem leibhaftigen beinahe Native Speaker Türkisch macht sich natürlich auch ganz gut. Das gibt neue Motivation!

Fasulye-Babylonia

Congratualtions! You really did hit the jackpot! And your wife's growing interest in Turkish is also a fine thing. Have a good time on the bright side of language learning :-)

Edited by Fasulye on 28 February 2009 at 8:56pm

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6401 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Turkish, Irish
Personal Language Map

Message 51 of 118
03 March 2009 at 6:47pm | IP Logged 
FEB. 24 - MAR. 1

Ich wundere mich, warum Jar-Ptitsa spurlos verschwunden hat...

This will be ridiculously brief and uninformative. I don't have much time.

GERMAN
Working in the same ol' materials.
6.25 hrs

RUSSIAN
Worked in Unit 18 of my textbook, and read a few pages of Beginner's Russian Reader.
1.75 hrs

TURKISH
The usual.
3.25 hrs

Weekly total: 11.25 hrs
Cumulative time since Dec. 25:

DE: 59.0 hrs
RU: 30.50 hrs
TR: 26.0 hrs
JP: 3.5 hrs
CZ: 2.0 hrs
GK: 1.0 hrs
IR: .5 hrs

Total: 122.0 hrs

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6401 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 52 of 118
10 March 2009 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
MAR. 2 - MAR. 8

Nur zwei Stunden habe ich ja beim Studieren verbracht! Es geht ganz und gar nicht um einen Verlust der Motivation; lange Rede, kurzer Sinn, meine beruflichen Verantwortigkeiten sind plötzlich angestiegen. Zum Glück ist diese Situation vorübergehend...

I only spent two hours studying this week! It's not at all a question of motivation; to make a long story short, my responsibilities at work have suddenly increased. Fortunately this is a temporary situation...

GERMAN
Der, Die, Was?
.75 hrs

RUSSIAN
Beginner's Russian Reader.
.5 hrs

TURKISH
Lesson 19 of the old Colloquial Turkish by Yusuf Mardin.
.75 hrs

Weekly total: 2.0 hrs

DE: 59.75 hrs
RU: 31.0 hrs
TR: 26.75 hrs

Total: 124.0 hrs

Jar-ptitsa
Triglot
Belgium
Joined 5696 days ago

980 posts - 1006 votes 
Speaks: French*, Dutch, German

Message 53 of 118
10 March 2009 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
magister wrote:

Ich wundere mich, warum Jar-Ptitsa spurlos verschwunden hat...

bin zurück. Nett von dir zu merken, dass ich nicht hier war. Danke. Ich hoffe, dass es dir gut geht und Spaß beim Sprachenlernen macht und andere sachen auch.

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6401 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 54 of 118
17 March 2009 at 7:55pm | IP Logged 
MAR. 9 - MAR. 15

I find that my interest in each of my three target languages waxes and wanes. Right now I spend the majority of time with Turkish, and the only reason I spent half an hour this week on Russian was out of a sense of obligation. At other times during the TAC, German has been the primary object of my focus whereas Turkish has found itself with "third wheel" status.

I haven't really had any wanderlust urges the last few weeks. One reason is that my available time has still been relatively limited, and also the time I spent with Japanese last month got the wanderbugs out of my system. For a while, anyway...

GERMAN
DDW; Anki; Mastering German Vocabulary; random website reading.
3.75 hrs

RUSSIAN
Beginner's Russian Reader.
.5 hrs

TURKISH
Lessons 20-22 of the old Colloquial Turkish by Yusuf Mardin, supplemented with a particular chapter of Hugo's Turkish in Three Months. I've been grappling with the bizarre way that Turkish expresses "as soon as," which functions as a subordinate clause. It's the aorist and negative aorist -- in succession -- of the verb used in the subordinate clause. Examples:

Kar    yağar   yağmaz.. .
(snow   falls   doesn't fall...)
As soon as the snow fell...

Sen   ilaç    alır     almaz   uyudun.
(You / medicine / take / don't take / fell asleep)
As soon as you took your medicine, you fell asleep.   
4.75 hrs

Weekly total: 9.0 hrs

DE: 64.5 hrs
TR: 32.0 hrs
RU: 31.5 hrs

Wanderlust:

Total: 133.0 hrs

Edited by magister on 17 March 2009 at 7:58pm

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6401 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 55 of 118
09 April 2009 at 12:26am | IP Logged 
MAR. 16 - APR. 6

It has been three weeks since I have updated my log. I had made the decision early on to update my log once per week -- every Monday -- but two weeks ago I was simply too busy at work to even think about spending the time to do it. And last week I was out of state visiting an old Army buddy of mine who, like me, does not have Internet access in the home. Seven days without visiting these forums, seven days without checking my work email, seven days without checking my personal email. I tell you, that was a liberating experience.

Those seven days of spring break did afford me a good amount of time to read in German, however. I brought along a book (hard-boiled crime fiction) which I found in a thrift shop, entitled "Happy Birthday, Türke!" by Jakob Arjouni. Definitely not my usual reading fare, but the point was reading practice -- and, as I think I've said before, everything is more interesting to me when it's written in another language!

Three months into the TAC, my total study time since it began was 133 hours. That's divided between three languages (and a few hours tossed in for wanderlust excursions), as you can see on my previous post. That might sound like a lot, but a sobering thought struck me: when I was at DLI, I had 133 hours of exposure/study to Czech in about two weeks' time. I'm not sure that I am satisfied making glacial progress in three languages when I could make much more rapid gains in one or two. Given the responsibilities in my life, I will not be able to increase my study/reading time, which, so far, has maxed out at 14 hours a week, I believe.

So for the time being, I will drop Russian as an "active" study language in order to concentrate my limited time on German and Turkish.

I've also decided that tracking my time has served its purpose, and I will cease doing so.

GERMAN
I belong to the obsessive-compulsive camp when it comes to vocabulary: I have never been able to resist looking up every single word I don't know. But when I was in Tennessee for a week, I deliberately left my German dictionaries at home in order to force myself to read the Arjouni novel without it. I knew from leafing through it before my departure that overall comprehension would not be difficult -- my vocabulary recognition met or exceeded that magic 80% threshold, or 95%, or whatever they say that threshold is. For the first fifty pages or so, reading in this fashion drove me totally nuts – it was a constant irritant, like an elusive mosquito buzzing around my head. But I eventually became somewhat comfortable with it.

I’m trying out a compromise for my next book, which will be Quintus geht nach Rom, an easy juvenile/young adult novel I picked up from World of Reading when they set up a booth at a state language teachers’ conference some time ago. I’ll read one or two chapters without a dictionary, and then go back later to look up the new words I could not safely understand through context. These I will add to Anki.

TURKISH
I did no Turkish on spring break; only German. But I did receive some goodies. A huge thank you to the forum member who dug three old issues of “Bizim English” out of his basement and mailed them to me! It’s a monthly magazine from the 1980s whose aim was to teach beginning-intermediate English to Turks, mainly through parallel bilingual articles. Anyone familiar with it?

I also finally ordered A Dictionary of Turkish Verbs in Context and by Theme, a behemoth of a reference work recommended to me by daristani as well as former forum member iieee. I haven’t figured out how best to utilize it yet, but it’s been fun leafing through it randomly.

Edited by magister on 09 April 2009 at 12:30am

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6401 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 56 of 118
16 April 2009 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
APR. 6 - APR. 12

GERMAN
Quintus geht nach Rom
20/265

Dieses Roman, das ich mit einen anderen Methode angehe, richtet sich an jugendliche Leser vielleicht ab zwölf oder dreizehn Jahre. Ich finde es zwar leicht; obwohl es ja viele neue Wörter gibt, sind die meisten davon wegen des Zusammenhang vollständig nachvollziehbar. Ich lese ein Kapitel auf einmal ohne Wörterbuch – um die Geschichte zu folgen – und dann später lese ich sie noch einmal aber intensiver, mit Wörterbuch. Bisher nicht schlecht, aber dieses Buch interessiere mich noch nicht. Ich komme in Versuchung, davon abzuzweigen zu einem anderen Buch...

Heute abend treffen meine Frau und ich einen deutschen Freund in einem mongolisches Restaurant. Ich freue mich sehr daran, mit voller Begeisterung, weil er einen Freund mitbringen will, der kein Englisch spricht. Ich nutze diese Gelegenheit mein Deutsch zu üben!

TURKISH
On Lesson 26 of the old Colloquial Turkish book.

This discussion contains 118 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version