Joined 6420 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Turkish, Irish
Personal Language Map

Message 65 of 118
18 May 2009 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
Jar-ptitsa wrote:
You speak Latin, German, Russian, and which other languages?

Hi Jar-Ptitsa,

That is not an easy question to answer, which is why I leave my language profile on the left side of the screen blank. My difficulty lies in defining the word "speak," since I'm uncomfortable equating it with "basic fluency" or "getting by" or whatever.

Besides English, I do not speak anything with absolute ease -- and even in English, my native tongue, I feel inarticulate as I have some difficulty orally expressing my thoughts. I envision a "bottleneck" somewhere between my brain and my mouth: it's as if a flood of words or concepts rushes toward this narrow tunnel, collide into one another as they compete for entrance, they break up, and are lost. I'm then left with very little at that moment, and I grasp in vain for the words that were just destroyed. As a result, I must speak very deliberately with much forethought. It's quite frustrating.

The languages I "know" or "speak" best, however one defines "know," are English, Czech, German, and Latin. I envision these as occupying the "first tier." My second-tier languages, French and Spanish, lie dormant -- I can read them with ease, but until I spend time in country reawakening them, I cannot tell people I speak these languages without offering some qualifying explanations. But because I have always been far more interested in reading than speaking, I am somewhat content possessing passive skills that far, far outstrip my active skills.

Somewhere beneath the second tier lie some languages I consider at a very elementary level. Russian and Norwegian, because I've been very inconsistent with them throughout my life; Turkish, because I haven't been studying it very long; Japanese and Romanian, which have deteriorated greatly from a much higher level because I lost interest in them a long time ago and subsequently abandoned them.

Finally, -- like most language enthusiasts in this forum -- there are a whole mess of languages I've merely dabbled in over the years, and therefore are hardly worth mentioning here.

I hope this wasn't an unnecessarily verbose answer to what might seem like a simple question!
1 person has voted this message useful

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6420 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 66 of 118
18 May 2009 at 10:47pm | IP Logged 
Are there any Russian natives out there who would kindly look at the sentences below? It's an English-Russian translation exercise from a textbook I am using. The aim of the exercise is to practice любить/полюбить and нравиться/понравиться.

Thanks in advance!

I saw her brother for the first time yesterday, and liked him very much.
Я вчера видел ее брата в первый раз, и он мне очень понравился.

I used to like to travel, but now I no longer like it.
Раньше я любил ездить, но я теперь уже не люблю.

"How do like this cheese?" "So-so; I am not very fond of cheese."
--Как тебе нравиться этот сыр?   --Так себе; я не очень люблю сыра.

If we don't like the high mountains, we'll go to the seashore. My parents like both the mountains and the seashore.
Если высокые горы нам не понравяться, мы поедем к берегу море. Моим родителям нравиться и горы и берег море.

I like to study at night; at night it is so quiet!
Я люблю заниматься ночью; ночью это такое тихое.

Our teacher is very fond of Turgenev's novel Fathers and Children but his students don’t like Turgenev.
Наш учитель очень любит роман Тургенева "Отцы и деты" но его студенты не любят Тургенева.

I liked that novel very much when I read it for the first time.
Мне очень понравился этот роман, когда я его читал в первый раз.

Last year we traveled around Europe; I liked France and Italy very much.
В прошлом году мы ездили по Европе; мне очень нравились Франциа и Италиа.

“How do you like our new teacher?” “Not very much. He likes to ask difficult questions.”
--Как тебе нравитсья наш новый учитель? --Не очень. Он любит задавать трудные вопросы.

"How do you like the film that you saw last evening?" "I didn’t like it at all, but my brother liked it."
--Как тебе нравитсья фильм, который ты увидел вчера вечер? --Мне совсем не понравился, но моему брату понравился.

Edit: Typo in the English.

Edited by magister on 19 May 2009 at 9:34pm

SII
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5609 days ago

184 posts - 194 votes 
Speaks: Russian*
Studies: English

Message 67 of 118
19 May 2009 at 10:25am | IP Logged 
magister

Quote:
"How do like this cheese?" "So-so; I am not very fond of cheese."
--Как тебе нравиться этот сыр?   --Так себе; я не очень люблю сыра.

There are two mistakes: "нравится" must be without "ь" and you must use "сыр", not "сыра".

The verb "нравиться" in this sentence answer to question "что делает?", therefore you must use the form "нравится" (the form "нравиться" is infinitive, it answers to question "что делать?").

The noun "сыр" is inanimate, therefore you must use the form "сыр" in accusative (question is "кого? что?").

Edited by SII on 19 May 2009 at 10:29am

SII
Joined 5609 days ago

184 posts - 194 votes 

Message 68 of 118
19 May 2009 at 10:34am | IP Logged 
Quote:
If we don't like the high mountains, we'll go to the seashore. My parents like both the mountains and the seashore.
Если высокые горы нам не понравяться, мы поедем к берегу море. Моим родителям нравиться и горы и берег море.

1) "Понравятся" -- this mistake is like to the one in previous sentence (the question is "что сделают?").

2) "Мы поедем к берегу (question: "кого? чего?") моря".

3) "Моим родителям нравятся и горы, и берег моря".

SII
Joined 5609 days ago

184 posts - 194 votes 

Message 69 of 118
19 May 2009 at 10:46am | IP Logged 
Quote:
I like to study at night; at night it is so quiet!
Я люблю заниматься ночью; ночью это такое тихое.

Я люблю заниматься ночью; ночью так тихо!

We often use the impersonal sentences -- they haven't the subject. In English in this case it is need to use the formal subject ("it", for example).

Quote:
Our teacher is very fond of Turgenev's novel Fathers and Children but his students don’t like Turgenev.
Наш учитель очень любит роман Тургенева "Отцы и деты" но его студенты не любят Тургенева.

Наш учитель очень любит роман Тургенева "Отцы и дети", но его студенты не любят Тургенева.

In Russian the word "учитель" relates to teacher in a school, not in an university; the university's teacher is "преподаватель". The word "студент" designates a student of an university, not a student of a school. A schoolboy is "ученик", a schoolgirl is "ученица", and the school student of any sex is "учащийся". In plural when we speak about schoolchilds of both sexes, we use "учащиеся" or "ученики"; the last word may to designate only schoolboys or schoolboys and schoolgirls together.

Quote:
Last year we traveled around Europe; I liked France and Italy very much.
В прошлом году мы ездили по Европе; мне очень нравились Франциа и Италиа.

В прошлом году мы ездили по Европе; мне очень понравились Франциа и Италия.

Quote:
“How do you like our new teacher?” “Not very much. He likes to ask difficult questions.”
--Как тебе нравитсья наш новый учитель? --Не очень. Он любит задавать трудные вопросы.

--Как тебе нравится наш новый учитель? --Не очень. Он любит задавать трудные вопросы.

Quote:
"How do you like the film that you saw last evening?" "I didn’t like it at all, but my brother liked it."
--Как тебе нравитсья фильм, который ты увидел вчера вечер? --Мне совсем не понравился, но моему брату понравился.

--Как тебе понравился фильм, который ты увидел вчера вечером? --Мне совсем не понравился, но моему брату понравился.

SII
Joined 5609 days ago

184 posts - 194 votes 

Message 70 of 118
19 May 2009 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
magister

In addition, some sentences are formally correct, but we don't speak similarly. For example:

Раньше я любил ездить, но я теперь уже не люблю.

We speak: "Раньше я любил ездить, но теперь уже не люблю" or "Раньше я любил ездить, но уже не люблю". We don't repeat the subject in like sentences, and we often omit some words.

Jar-ptitsa
Triglot
Belgium
Joined 5715 days ago

980 posts - 1006 votes 
Speaks: French*, Dutch, German

Message 71 of 118
19 May 2009 at 1:17pm | IP Logged 
magister wrote:

I hope this wasn't an unnecessarily verbose answer to what might seem like a simple question!

Hi magister

no, it was veyr inertesting but I will reply in the next days because a perosn shout me all the time (today ) and I'm upset and thsoe accusations are lies. yesterday it wasn't possible go online. I will reply you tomorrow.

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6420 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 72 of 118
19 May 2009 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
SII,

Большое спасибо за помощь! Твои объяснения были ясными.

This discussion contains 118 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version