Joined 6371 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 121 of 139
27 September 2010 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
clumsy wrote:
nissimb wrote:
Yes, in my case, the Japanese. Although I would not call them "ungrateful", as nobody made fun of my mistakes when I was in studying in Japan and spoke Japanese with them. They were just unappreciative and disinterested. I always felt that their attitude was like "you are interested in Japan and have studied Japanese, so what?". I had really wonderful experiences with Koreans and Indonesians, even though my knowledge of Korean and Indonesian was (and still is) pathetic.

me too~~
Often Japanese people say things like "your Japanese is very good" though, but I find Korean and Indonesians (on pen pal websites), much more interested if you study their language.
I have tons of Korean friends on pen pal sites, but only few Japanese ones. (I recommend talking to women over 30, there are easier to talk mostly, by my opinion).

But many Japanese, don't find it strange for foreigner to learn their language, unfortunately :(

You can make some friends, but still, it's probably due to the manga wave,

but If you think about it, Koreans have their drama too~~ and korean is pretty popular in Asia too~~.

Oh, what wouldn't I give for people to be uninterested and apathetic towards my language learning. Every friggin' time I open my mouth I'm met with "Oh, you're so fantastic! Your Mandarin is so excellent! I'ts better than mine, oh you're so smart!" It really grates on my nerves. I cannot imagine what it must be like to grow up as a white kid in China. Imagine hearing that every time you talk to your fellow countrymen in your native tongue.

A large plate of ungrateful natives this way, please.
2 persons have voted this message useful

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5008 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 122 of 139
27 September 2010 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
I agree, it is a little rude of 'the natives' to make fun of your mistakes BUT can you imagine what they could be saying if you didn't speak any of their language at all?

You understand the insults so consider that a huge step forward from Joe Tourist who isn't into language.

Improve your language to their level: then correct THEIR grammar. Thats always fun!

Edited by maydayayday on 27 September 2010 at 6:15pm

jasoninchina
China
Joined 5020 days ago

221 posts - 306 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, Italian

Message 123 of 139
27 September 2010 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
Oh, what wouldn't I give for people to be uninterested and apathetic towards my language learning. Every friggin' time I open my mouth I'm met with "Oh, you're so fantastic! Your Mandarin is so excellent! I'ts better than mine, oh you're so smart!" It really grates on my nerves. I cannot imagine what it must be like to grow up as a white kid in China. Imagine hearing that every time you talk to your fellow countrymen in your native tongue.

A large plate of ungrateful natives this way, please.

You just made my day Ari! Oh, what wouldn't I give to be able to walk down the street without people giggling at me or pointing me out to their friends, let alone what happens when I open my mouth. I'll take a double portion of disinterested natives.
1 person has voted this message useful

fireflies
Joined 4970 days ago

172 posts - 234 votes 

Message 124 of 139
27 September 2010 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
I have always been polite to those who don't know English well. English is no big mystery and it just takes practice (like all languages and all skills). I would go out of my way to help with any questions.

I have always had good learning experiences with Spanish. As far as new languages, I'd try and make sure I knew what I was doing before I tried then out. After reading this thread I'd be especially careful with trying French out!

ronmiel
United Kingdom
Joined 5031 days ago

23 posts - 23 votes

Message 125 of 139
27 September 2010 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
I went to Fuetreventura a few months ago and used my very limited Spanish. I was treated like just some guy who was buying stuff or asking questions, which is just how i want it, i received no praise or insults. I just want to communicate in the native language of wherever i go, i expect no praise or gratitude from anyone.

fireflies
Joined 4970 days ago

172 posts - 234 votes 

Message 126 of 139
28 September 2010 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
Its something you should do by default. I do not expect gratitude either because I am not grateful when people learn English in the US.

I have only travelled to French Canada which is traditionally bilingual. If I travelled as far as France (or anywhere else) I would spend a good deal of time studying for it so as not to seem rude.

BiaHuda
Triglot
Groupie
Vietnam
Joined 5152 days ago

97 posts - 127 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Vietnamese
Studies: Cantonese

Message 127 of 139
28 September 2010 at 6:46am | IP Logged 
I work with a Peruvian guy who is often mocked and riduculed about his English speaking abilities. Someone even went so far as to photoshop his face onto a body of a Mariachi complete with a huge purple sombrero. This in itself clearly demonstates the level of ignorance of some people. Most people know that Sombreros are Mexican and not Peruvian.

This guy is obviosly hurt and embarrased by these comments. Ođđly when I mentioned this to a coworker who is one of the worst offenders he was quite surprised. He felt this was just good natured kiđđing and no offence would be taken. For the record the victim of the abuse is very well liked.

I can say this though, native English speakers show little mercy to anyone who hasn't reached an acceptable level of proficiency.I don't see why it should be different anywhere else but fortunately, for me at least, other cultures are alot more tolerant.

fireflies
Joined 4970 days ago

172 posts - 234 votes 

Message 128 of 139
28 September 2010 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
^ Wow that sounds as uncomfortable as an episode of The Office.

This discussion contains 139 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version