United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5330 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 25 of 71
12 November 2009 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
Jiwon: I have a question about that word at the beginning of Korean 4 (at the 0:14 mark) that sounds kinda like "krizzo." I've heard that numerous times in several Korean videos and am curious exactly what that word is. I've always assumed it was a shortened pronunciation of "그러세요" but haven't been able to confirm if this is true or if it is another word completely.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6231 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 26 of 71
13 November 2009 at 5:11am | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
Jiwon: I have a question about that word at the beginning of Korean 4 (at the 0:14 mark) that sounds kinda like "krizzo." I've heard that numerous times in several Korean videos and am curious exactly what that word is. I've always assumed it was a shortened pronunciation of "그러세요" but haven't been able to confirm if this is true or if it is another word completely.

Em, it's 그래서, meaning "Therefore/so/hence" and definitely not a shortened form of 그러세요. :)

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5330 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 27 of 71
13 November 2009 at 5:42am | IP Logged 
Ahhh...it didn't occur to me that that sound was an "ae" (ㅐ) vowel. I guess that explains why I didn't have any luck looking up that word in the dictionary before. Thanks. :)

(By the way, the main reason I even considered the possibility that it was a shortened pronunciation of another word was due to some of the versions of 안녕하세요 I've heard pronounced that are so compressed they honestly sound like a completely different phrase.)

qklilx
United States
Joined 5981 days ago

459 posts - 477 votes 
Studies: Korean
Personal Language Map

Message 28 of 71
15 November 2009 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
Oh man we just covered 수능 all last week. I'm tired of hearing about it at this point. :P

Anyway most of the times when I couldn't understand you were caused by the background noise from the camera and the low quality pick-up because it's a webcam.

You talk SLIGHTLY slower than one of my teachers. Maybe I should upload a video of me speaking in English for a bit and you can hear what 8+ words a second sounds like outside of rap songs. Any particular topic you would want me to discuss?

Warp3 wrote:
(By the way, the main reason I even considered the possibility that it was a shortened pronunciation of another word was due to some of the versions of 안녕하세요 I've heard pronounced that are so compressed they honestly sound like a completely different phrase.)

아녀서? ㅋㅋㅋ

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5330 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 29 of 71
16 November 2009 at 1:34am | IP Logged 
qklilx: Close...maybe a little longer, but not much. Something like 아녀세요 said quickly enough so it sounds (to an English ear, at least) more like "an-nazz-ee-a" instead. When I go back and listen to it now, though, I can pick out all the extra syllables, so they are actually there just greatly compressed.

The confusion was mostly that other native speakers I'd heard say that (in a variety of media sources) weren't saying it nearly that fast. Later, when I heard someone else say that phrase faster than normal, but still just slow enough that I actually understood it, it finally bridged the gap in my mind to link the two phrases as the same.

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6231 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 30 of 71
18 November 2009 at 6:11am | IP Logged 
Thanks for all your feedback.. and I would love to watch that video of you speaking English, qklilx.. :P

This one's a German video. Enjoy, German speakers!

German Practice 6

qklilx
United States
Joined 5981 days ago

459 posts - 477 votes 
Studies: Korean
Personal Language Map

Message 31 of 71
30 November 2009 at 9:39am | IP Logged 
Wow this was late. I made a video. It's a bit long and dragging though. As I mentioned in the video info, in conversation I usually talk faster and I enunciate better, and have fewer slip-ups and fillers. Talking to the camera is tough.

I talked mostly about my study method for Korean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf59M_vT040

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6231 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 32 of 71
30 November 2009 at 1:47pm | IP Logged 
qklilx wrote:
Wow this was late. I made a video. It's a bit long and dragging though. As I mentioned in the video info, in conversation I usually talk faster and I enunciate better, and have fewer slip-ups and fillers. Talking to the camera is tough.

Yes. Talking to the webcam all by yourself is REALLY tough. Imagine trying to do it unscripted all the time. ;) No wonder my speech gets slower and slower. Plus, the Korean classes I've been taking have really slowed down my speaking speed so that I can be understood by other people.

You DO speak really fast, but I could understand everything without much pain. :P Maybe I'm too used to Vicky Pollard and Marjorie Dawes on Little Britain. XD

I like your reasoning about native-target language word lists, maybe I should try it out for learning German expressions. That way it will be much easier for me to produce those expressions.

This discussion contains 71 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version