Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4462 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 129 of 132
25 February 2014 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
My favorite words in Japanese and names of plants, animals and onomatopoeia because
they are preferably written in kana. ;)

In Chinese, the biggest ''problem'' is not forgetting tones of characters,
they're easily forgotten, just like noun genders in German.

Edited by Medulin on 25 February 2014 at 7:06pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4462 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 130 of 132
25 February 2014 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
shk00design wrote:
Looked like many people already said everything that needs to be said. When it comes to printing space, Chinese
is a compact language. Even compared to English & French when you write 1 paragraph in English, it would take
more space to write a similar paragraph in French or Spanish. In most cases it takes less printing space to write
the equivalent in Chinese. Try to stretch each character phonetically like Vietnamese you actually take up more
alphabetic characters.

Not true.
Latin alphabet texts are legible at extremely small font sizes (for example Verdana 6 pt).
Good luck reading a Mandarin text printed in 6 pt font,
it can be difficult to read even in 12 pt font.

As for, using computer all the time for writing Mandarin,
it's like seeing a doctor who has to check every single symptom and diagnosis in medical books, computer programs and on the Internet. People shouldn't rely too much on this kind of help, but use their brain!
Chinese people learn writing for 20 years of their lives, so they are expected to know how to write 6k of the most frequent Hanzi, at least in my book. Computer technology is no excuse for lousy spellers (or lousy doctors).

Edited by Medulin on 25 February 2014 at 7:41pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Stolan
United States
Joined 3826 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 131 of 132
26 February 2014 at 12:16am | IP Logged 
Many are illiterate now outside of computers of quick cursive. I've seen many in Hong Kong just scribbling
character outlines of sorts or using a computer system, one admitted she only knew how to create the strokes for
only the basic characters and such, she has to scribble a bit in some areas where she forgot the exact sequences
when writing a note to self containing more advanced vocabulary.

To tell the truth, when I started learning, I just wanted to start absorbing vocab, but since I was oversees for long
times, I could only have written works of tv shows, and the shows are not subtitled in anything other than
characters! It would be so much faster to just absorb as you go along for many if characters were not in the way. I
added something to chrome to show the pronunciations but they are only for Mandarin, not for Cantonese.

Edited by Stolan on 26 February 2014 at 3:14am

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4618 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 132 of 132
03 March 2014 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
I think the "difficulty" of learning characters for the Chinese population (underlined by the Mao quote earlier) was
and is mostly due to China's historically poor economic condition, and less to the language itself. You can't learn to
read and write very well when you have to work 12 hours a day, 6 days a week (starting at a very young age), no
matter what alphabet or characters you need to write with. Many people in rich countries like Canada and France are
illiterate still, although comparatively English and French should be (supposedly) easier than Chinese. I don't think
that's true and, while I'm no expert, I think the objective difficulty of Chinese is grossly exaggerated. Although that's
not to say there are no ways to make the writing/reading a bit easier (separating words and highlighting proper
names would be a big help). I don't find it particularly hard to learn the characters at all, but somehow I find it very
difficult to read text in pinyin. Incidentally, I never do read pinyin and since I started learning Chinese I forced
myself to use the characters most of the time and focus on them instead of pinyin. Maybe that's the reason.

This discussion contains 132 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version